3Kw Charger

Ray1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

I took delivery of my brand new MG ZS EV on Thursday, I love it. Inside it has the feel of a much more expensive car. It will take me a few days to get use to all the electronics. I am going to have a 7kw charger installed in the future but locally I can get on Rapid chargers for free and then top up at home using an outside 13 amp socket with the 3kw charger supplied with my car. The question I have is ' Are these chargers ok to operate outside in the rain?'

Ray

The granny charger (~2.4kw, 10amps not 3kw) is fine outside as long as its weakest part (the 3pin) is protected from the elements, you will be fine. The main unit of the granny charger is rated for IP67, which means 1metre depth of water for 30mins, the 3pin part is IPx2, no water protection.....

Thanks for the replies, I did install an IP66 socket so that and the plug will remain waterproof. I've always been a little scared when electric and water are close by, so thought I would check with people that have used these 'granny' chargers.

Hi all,

I took delivery of my brand new MG ZS EV on Thursday, I love it. Inside it has the feel of a much more expensive car. It will take me a few days to get use to all the electronics. I am going to have a 7kw charger installed in the future but locally I can get on Rapid chargers for free and then top up at home using an outside 13 amp socket with the 3kw charger supplied with my car. The question I have is ' Are these chargers ok to operate outside in the rain?'

Ray
Hi Ray, unless you are regularly doing over 100 klms per day you may not need the 7kW charger.

Last edited:
Just take sensible precautions with the charger & cable to keep the weather off it. I keep mine in a canvas bag in the boot - it doubles as a storage bag when its not being used and I keep the body of the charger in the bag under the front of the car when it’s in use.

Hi Ray, unless you are regularly doing over 100 klms per day you may not need the 7kW charger.
^this^ I bought a 'Fenkee' adjustable charger that can charge at 10A,16A,20A,24A,32A & have only tried the 32A (7kW) option once just to see if it was working OK, I've never used more than the 16A option for our needs but it's there if I need it. (y)

Edit: forgot the pic :rolleyes:

TR8Pthll.jpg

Last edited:
^this^ I bought a 'Fenkee' adjustable charger that can charge at 10A,16A,20A,24A,32A & have only tried the 32A (7kW) option once just to see if it was working OK, I've never used more than the 16A option for our needs but it's there if I need it. (y)

Edit: forgot the pic :rolleyes:

TR8Pthll.jpg
This is a great budget option, and gives you the flexibility to take it with you when travelling. We're looking at something similar, just be aware they don't have some of the 'smarts' or connected features of some fixed chargers.

Thanks for the replies, I did install an IP66 socket so that and the plug will remain waterproof. I've always been a little scared when electric and water are close by, so thought I would check with people that have used these 'granny' chargers.
I slot my granny "charger" box into my 3d printed holder on the outside wall, it keeps it a bit more protected from the rain as it's kinda tight against the house wall.
No problem being out in the rain though, it's appropriately IP rated.
We rarely use the granger charger as now got our 7kWh charger, but to be honest if I was going to be using it daily out in the rain, I'd make a little cover for it - it'd make me feel better about it!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom