400 Mile round trip to Poole (MG4 SR)

Stuart Wilson

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Just come back from a 5 day break from Nr Peterborough to Poole in Dorset. All was smooth and the hotel (Holiday Inn had some chargers). Made the mistake of connecting to the 7,5 kW and then I noticed it has an automatic extra £10 charge if stay longer than 90 minutes - this was in quite small print so I thought that was a bit blinking cheeky! (BP chargers by the way). I stopped and re-started on the 50kW rapid charge and got it fully pretty quick.
Before I left for the return journey I charged to 100% and was pretty impressed with the predicted range of 295 miles in ECO. We have had pretty warm weather and I do try and drive efficiently so that obviously helps!
IMG_5814.jpeg

I thought it was only rapids that charged after 90 minutes.
I don't think you will get much from a 7kW EVSE in an hour and a half.

You could be right re the £10 charge but seeing that was when I realised I'd started the charge on the 7kW (I sort of realised I was doing it but just thought I'll leave overnight. But when I saw the £10 charge I stopped and started a rapid charge

There are destination chargers out there with overstay fines, which is ridiculous. In one car park in Glasgow the time limit is 4 hours and the overstay fine is £40! There are eight connectors, and I've never seen them all occupied at once.

Picture me hanging around trying to figure out when to start the charge so I'll be able to get back after a long theatre performance, and at the same time unwilling to leave it too late in case I have difficulty starting the charge and miss the curtain up.

I wrote to the City Council explaining the concept of destination chargers and suggesting they make the car park a friendly place for EV drivers who have a long meeting or want a pre-theatre meal, but all I got was an automated reply directing me to their FAQ page.

Last edited:
Yeha
I thought it was only rapids that charged after 90 minutes.
I don't think you will get much from a 7kW EVSE in an hour and a half.
Yeah, for BP Pulse it's just the rapids that have overstay charge, you're OK on the destination chargers (I know from experience after it took two minutes to disconnect and pushed me just over the 90)

That range estimate is pretty crazy, in a good way. That's nearly 6 m/kWh!? 🤔 Have you managed to be driving downhill for 3,825 miles?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back