5 Long Range charging speed

johnd973

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Put our car on a rapid charger today and the charge speed was much slower than expected. Took 51 minutes to put 25.5kWh in the battery which equates to just under 30kWh per hour. This was on a 120kWh Electric Highway charger at a motorway service station so I would have expected to get a charge rate of closer to 100kWh given that is the rate the 5 LR is supposed to be able to charge at. Temperature was a reasonable 21 degrees and the battery was not over the 80% level where I would have expected the charge rate to drop off.

This is probably the third time the car has been on a rapid charger in the year we have owned it and I have always had a suspicion it was charging much slower than it should, but this is the first time I have actually looked at the numbers. Could this be indicative of a fault?

chargerate.jpg

Put our car on a rapid charger today and the charge speed was much slower than expected. Took 51 minutes to put 25.5kWh in the battery which equates to just under 30kWh per hour. This was on a 120kWh Electric Highway charger at a motorway service station so I would have expected to get a charge rate of closer to 100kWh given that is the rate the 5 LR is supposed to be able to charge at. Temperature was a reasonable 21 degrees and the battery was not over the 80% level where I would have expected the charge rate to drop off.

This is probably the third time the car has been on a rapid charger in the year we have owned it and I have always had a suspicion it was charging much slower than it should, but this is the first time I have actually looked at the numbers. Could this be indicative of a fault?

View attachment 10783
I’ve only charged twice on a rapid, which was a 350 kWh gridserve, and I peaked at 90 kw. I charged roughly 20 kWh in 18 minutes.

The 90kw didn’t last that long, it gradually tapered down as it approached then passed 70%. The lowest I saw it was, I think, 50 ish kw at 73%.

Despite their ratings, chargers are fickle and have their own speeds depending on various factors we all know about including whether other cars are using the bank of chargers.
Keep trying, I have had speeds as low as in the 20s kW and as high as 93 kW.

If it is a post with multiple chargers I'm sure I read somewhere that if both are charging it may compromise the speed. Happy to be corrected.

In your screenshot I see there is some warning (red triangle) on the other channel of the charger, so it may have had a fault that affected both channels limiting charging to a low rate.

In your screenshot I see there is some warning (red triangle) on the other channel of the charger, so it may have had a fault that affected both channels limiting charging to a low rate.
Yeah the other connector was damaged.
If it is a post with multiple chargers I'm sure I read somewhere that if both are charging it may compromise the speed. Happy to be corrected.
I think the electric highway chargers can only charge a single car, even if there are two connectors. If you connect a second vehicle, charging won't start. It gives a message saying something like 'waiting for power to be available'

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom