50kw charging limit

Wazzajnr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all,
I've stopped at two different chargers this week, ionity at Leeds and applegreen at hartshead Moor.

Both charged ok, but when they started, they ramped up from zero to 50kw within 30s or so then stayed there.
At ionity, the battery was around 35% and at hartshead it was at 43%.
Why am I only getting 50kw? I thought it could do up around 90-100kw charging.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi all,
I've stopped at two different chargers this week, ionity at Leeds and applegreen at hartshead Moor.

Both charged ok, but when they started, they ramped up from zero to 50kw within 30s or so then stayed there.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Which model do you have? Standard Range or Long Range? I’ve seen reports of the Long Range achieving nearly 100kW but not sure about the capabilities of the Standard Range.

I originally thought that the ionity might be limiting because they were all in use but we were the only ones charging on the applegreen site

Battery temperature can also play a factor although it wasn't too cold/warm today.

Also try a lower SoC, maybe 20-25%?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Was it the Welcomebreak services at Hartshead Moor. Looking at Zapmap the services has have Gridserve chargers with a max of 50kw on the CCS which would explain why you were only getting 43kwh.

Yes, it was hartshead Moor but the also have applegreen 350kw chargers next to the tesla rank.

Attachments

• IMG_20220530_200811.jpg
    IMG_20220530_200811.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 120
I would have thought battery temp wasn't an issue, we had been driving for two hours at that point.
Bit pointless having a charger capable of charging at 80+ kW up to around 80% if you have to run it down to 20% first.
If I'd plugged in at 70% I could understand it.

I would have thought battery temp wasn't an issue, we had been driving for two hours at that point.
Bit pointless having a charger capable of charging at 80+ kW up to around 80% if you have to run it down to 20% first.
If I'd plugged in at 70% I could understand it.
None of the manufacturers maintain the speeds they quote - I remember recently hearing about the Porsche that maintains it's impressive speed for a minute or two. These graphs are indicative of what you should see in an MG5 - I generally use 50kW rapid chargers so never see a drop off until 83%, but Ultra Rapid should follow the pattern shown.

Speed issues can sometimes be down to the way that various car and DC charger manufacturers interpret the CCS communication. Try some other brands.

Both 350kw versions

I've seen myself that (some) very powerful chargers don't seem to like the MG5 and charge much slower than they should be able to.
I've achieved 80kwh on a 100kw charger but found that a number of 150kw ones seem to stick around the 35-40kwh regardless of the battery state.
It might be down to lack of? battery temp/state information passed to the charger or some other reason.

My gut feeling is that the car tells the charger it is an Mg5 and the charger says "ooooh, that's a 50kw car, I'll charge at 50kw"
I think it warrants an email to the two suppliers.
Has anyone got better than 50kw at Skelton Lake or hartshead Moor?

I've just done my first rapid charge at the local MW services (just to make sure I knew what to do before I try it miles from home).

It was a gridserve charger rated at 50kw, and gave me 20 point something kwh in around 25 minutes, which would be an average of 50kw. SOC was 38% at the start and finished at 69%.

Yes, it was hartshead Moor but the also have applegreen 350kw chargers next to the tesla rank.
Looks as if Applegreen is a network not covered by Zapmap. It's not one I've heard of. How much do they charge per kwh and do you need an app or are they contactless?

Looks as if Applegreen is a network not covered by Zapmap. It's not one I've heard of. How much do they charge per kwh and do you need an app or are they contactless?
They are on zap map, in fact, they're a zap map contributor.
It was a contactless one as I think they all are but don't rely on my guess at that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220531_131152_com.zapmap.zapmap.jpg
    Screenshot_20220531_131152_com.zapmap.zapmap.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20220531_131144_com.zapmap.zapmap.jpg
    Screenshot_20220531_131144_com.zapmap.zapmap.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 104
My gut feeling is that the car tells the charger it is an Mg5 and the charger says "ooooh, that's a 50kw car, I'll charge at 50kw"
I think it warrants an email to the two suppliers.
Has anyone got better than 50kw at Skelton Lake or hartshead Moor?
You could have hit the nail on the head. Was the short range MG5 limited to 50kw? If that's the case maybe the manufacturers have set some sort of limit although I'd expect the car to negotiate with the charger to be honest.

On short trips I get up to 50kw/h charging. Today after 2 hours on the motorway I got 70kw/h plus. I'm sure it went a lot higher but I was in the café and only checked when it was up to 60%!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom