50kw charging limit

I did some testing on this on 29th April. I have long range MG5 and decided to get my battery to around 15-20% and then go to an Instavolt 150kw charger and record the speed at various points. Outside temperature was 16C and battery was at 17% when I arrived.
20% : 71.92KW
67% : 65.25KW
73% : 55.42KW
79% : 38.25KW

I had never seen my car charge at higher than 45kW so this test meant I didn't take it to the dealer to get them to figure it out.

I need to keep an eye on peak charge next month when travelling. I averaged 65.17kW charging from 24% to 86% last October - hoping to see 90%+ on an MFG 150 this year.

1654359375035.jpeg

A batteries optimal charging temperature is 30•c. Not ambient temperature but battery temperature. MG (nor most other manufacturers) do not precondition their batteries for charging (only really Tesla do). So they are generally either too hot or too cold. NONE of the chargers single out a car manufacturer or model and then limit their power output. They talk to the cars charge modulator and do what is best for the batteries (based on manufacturers specifications which the car communicates).
Don’t be paranoid, accept the speeds you get and allow for variances in performance station to station, day to day.

A batteries optimal charging temperature is 30•c. Not ambient temperature but battery temperature. MG (nor most other manufacturers) do not precondition their batteries for charging (only really Tesla do). So they are generally either too hot or too cold. NONE of the chargers single out a car manufacturer or model and then limit their power output. They talk to the cars charge modulator and do what is best for the batteries (based on manufacturers specifications which the car communicates).
Don’t be paranoid, accept the speeds you get and allow for variances in performance station to station, day to day.
I'm not paranoid in any way shape or form, it just seems like a hard coded limit on the charge rate as it ramps up fairly steadily to 50kw then that is that.
If it were battery condition/temp I would not expect it to stop dead on 50kw every time.
What I really need is to get it to a very low state then see if it performs any better.
It seems many people are getting better charge rates than me and if there is a problem I would prefer to get it fixed sooner than later.

If you're checking, use as large a variety of chargers as you can to be sure you haven't just picked a couple of slower ones.

The CCS standard is poorly written and worse applied. We have a poor combination of inconsistent firmware on vehicles and chargers, so there's no guarantee that a vehicle will charge the same on two different chargers from the same manufacturer on the same network, and likewise two cars of the same model may charge differently on the same charger.
To be certain that the car is the problem you need to be certain that the individual charger works with another car of the same model. Literally you need to take both cars to the same charger and check that it works on the first car and not the second. Or find that the cars have different firmware.

If you're checking, use as large a variety of chargers as you can to be sure you haven't just picked a couple of slower ones.
Or ones that go fast on all other cars but with the wrong firmware for MG5 LRs.

Last edited:
Don’t wish for more, the battery management may be protecting the health of your pack for a given set of conditions.

Saw my best at a volvo dealer in Filton Bristol at the weekend. 37kw added in 33 min average 67.7kw/hr peek saw was 83kw/hr. On a long-range blue ones charge faster ;) didn't note soc mid forty to 85% approx. Think it was a 350kw unit no-one else there.
Waylands Volvo zap map says 4 podpoints but there is a unit with 2 ccs as well.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom