• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

580 HP Well it’s coming if you want it soon.

For me, the standard horsepower is plenty, but for those who enjoy the likes of a Volkswagen Golf GTI, I can see the attraction.

I really don't know if the back up is at the stage to support it, it's exactly the same battery and motor as the trophy, with an extra motor on the front.
You have got to hope it's a totally different gearbox design, if as Macadoodle thinks, it's linked to spirited driving, and it's the same gearbox, could be a proper mess.
Fingers crossed it's a complete redesign especially for the people forking out £40k plus for it

The spec sheet for Chinese's models is online, unfortunately as you would expect, in Chinese.
I think the car is actually showing on the website as 440bhp which is still mighty impressive, but a bit less than the 580bhp mentioned.
Interesting that you can now buy six models in China, 3 with with the SR battery, 3 with the LR, no extended range yet.

They advertise the 64kwh battery as a 313 mile range. (Chinese testing figures)
The awd is advertised as 60Km less at 460km (285miles) 30 mile hit for the extra weight (160kgs heavier)

The fact that the normal 64kwh battery is advertised as 281 mile range in UK, and may get close in the better weather.

The awd is probably looking about 230-240 miles range max, with a hope to get close in the better weather, might need conservative driving in the winter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230317-073135.jpg
    Screenshot_20230317-073135.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I'm really hoping there'll be more info by the time of the UK fully charged show live, as our Kia e-Niro comes up for the end of it's PCP later in the year, so we could become a two-MG4 family! ;-) - Love the Electric Viking BTW. Whatch his stuff religiously. Would be great to bump into him at the Farnborough event.

They can’t make 170bhp perform reliably.
Can you imagine a customer of one of these potentially being restricted to XX mph because it’s too cold/hot/whatever?

I don't know - our Trophy (200bhp) works really well! :)

Maybe you don’t demand much of the car.
Those of us who do find it fails.
And it’s logical to assume buyers of these will want to demand a lot, otherwise why bother.
MG are trying to run before they can walk.
I’ve had loads of sporty cars and I demand a lot of them, the minimum a driver of these sorts of cars asks for is consistency of performance.

A sweeping generalisation if ever I saw one

Well people who trundle around definitely aren’t going to experience it.
Seriously, do you even remotely trust MG to build a performance car…?
Gearboxes that look ropey in the long term etc?
Not that I have a lot of sympathy for anyone buying this particular car, TBH.
They just want the most BHP per £ and won’t exactly be ‘discerning’ drivers.

Well people who trundle around definitely aren’t going to experience it.
Seriously, do you even remotely trust MG to build a performance car…?
Gearboxes that look ropey in the long term etc?
Not that I have a lot of sympathy for anyone buying this particular car, TBH.
They just want the most BHP per £ and won’t exactly be ‘discerning’ drivers.
I think you need closure, hope that happens soon.

That’s not an answer.
Pretty simple, do you think MG are ready and capable of building a performance model?
I think you may have mistaken me for someone who needs to answer your questions 😂

I’ll take that as a no then
Quick recap. I made a comment re your sweeping generalisation to which you responded with more generalisations and irrelevant questions. Take the answer however you wish, it matters not to me. 😀

Quick recap. I made a comment re your sweeping generalisation to which you responded with more generalisations and irrelevant questions. Take the answer however you wish, it matters not to me. 😀

It’s not an irrelevant question.
The thread is about a performance MG4.
Do you think MG are ready/able to produce a performance car?
Just avoiding a simple yes or no answer is MP levels of deflection.

That’s not an answer.
Pretty simple, do you think MG are ready and capable of building a performance model?
I absolutely do think that they can. How good and reliable it will be is another question. I do like these performance variants - adds a bit of spice.

It’s not an irrelevant question.
The thread is about a performance MG4.
Do you think MG are ready/able to produce a performance car?
Just avoiding a simple yes or no answer is MP levels of deflection.
My post was about your incorrect generalisation “those of us that do find it fails”. You responded, MP like, with irrelevant questions hence I have no opinion to share with you. 😀

The fact that the normal 64kwh battery is advertised as 281 mile range in UK, and may get close in the better weather.
I'm getting 261 miles of GOM these last few days - I know no picture no proof .. But I'm seeing the Kwh going from a low 3 to 3.8 so 281 is still 'possible' but I'm optimistic - I'll get what I get in the Summer - Simples

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back