6'3" and looking for advice on MG 5

Dotnetter

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi all,

This is my first post so "hello" :)

I'm looking at buying my first EV. A couple of months ago I test drove the MG 5 and the ZS and was immediately put off by the driving position of both cars. The 5 felt like my knees were very high up and I had no support for my legs and the ZS while better resulted in me feeling like I had to stoop to see our of the windscreen.

I currently drive a golf plus which benefits from a higher ride height and more upright position.

2 months on and I've also sat in (but not driven) a mokka-e and a Skoda Enyaq. The mokka was really bad but the Enyaq was much better.

I was hoping to get some views from taller drivers on how they've found the seating in the 5 over a period of time.

The price of the 5 and the PCP offers make it a really strong option... To the point where I'm questioning if I was being overly critical of the seating. I do plan to go back to the dealer at some point and sit in it again. The problem is that generally I was limited to a 15 minute test drive and I'm concerned that on longer journeys I'm going to end up with a numb bum and hip ache!

Any advice, suggestions very much appreciated.

While we're at it, the same applies for the rear seats... Does anyone have experience of driving tall passengers or teenage kids around... What's their opinion?

Thanks,

Wayne

I'm 6ft and I reckon I am topping out on what the 5 can handle height wise. 'The floor is very high' as one person said to me and I have to agree. I have the seat fully raised to fit my long legs and have to lean the seat back a bit to be able to see out.
I drive 1000+ miles a week and it's not uncomfortable but I think at 6'3" I might have difficulties on longer runs.

My advice for what it's worth would be to try and get a long term trial (a full day at least) of the car to see how you get on.

I’m near 6ft - still got a couple of notches left in the seat. Though the steering telescope may be a bit short unless you have long arms. You need to try it

At 6ft would agree that there's not much adjustment left. moving the seat backwards is ok but could lead to back/shoulder issues. Would strongly recommend a 2 or 3 day test drive before you commit. No matter how good the deal, sitting for long periods can cause some major issues if not done so correctly.

I'm also 6`3" and have no issues with the 5.

I do have to have the seat back as far & as low as possible and the steering wheel fully pulled toward me however, otherwise my knees prevent me from turning the wheel comfortably.

I've sat in the back seat behind my fully pulled back driving seat and it seems reasonably roomy enough.

Seriously though- I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I was during our MG5 test drive. I’m six foot tall and found ample adjustment. I’ll report back in a few weeks once we take delivery and drive around a bit.

Thanks all.

I'll go back and try sitting in it again and maybe arranging a longer test drive - but I recall I instantly disliked the seating position. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have a similar issue with the majority of EV's based on ICE cars given they all tend to raise the floor to accommodate the batteries.

The Skoda Enyaq was much better for my height and is the only car I've sat in that has been designed from the ground up as an EV...just a shame the price and finance options are less affordable :(

Thanks all.

I'll go back and try sitting in it again and maybe arranging a longer test drive - but I recall I instantly disliked the seating position. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have a similar issue with the majority of EV's based on ICE cars given they all tend to raise the floor to accommodate the batteries.

The Skoda Enyaq was much better for my height and is the only car I've sat in that has been designed from the ground up as an EV...just a shame the price and finance options are less affordable :(

I'm 6ft and I reckon I am topping out on what the 5 can handle height wise. 'The floor is very high' as one person said to me and I have to agree. I have the seat fully raised to fit my long legs and have to lean the seat back a bit to be able to see out.
I drive 1000+ miles a week and it's not uncomfortable but I think at 6'3" I might have difficulties on longer runs.

My advice for what it's worth would be to try and get a long term trial (a full day at least) of the car to see how you get on.
Personally, as I am tall, I like to have the seat fully lowered - I am surprised you prefer the reverse.

I'm 5'10" but have not yet found my ideal driving position. I have to have the seat further back than I would like because the left foot foot rest is a lot further back than the other automatic cars I have owned (I like to straighten my leg out a bit). With my current seating position the reach of the steering column is about an inch short of perfect.

I'm 6'4 and find myself ducking to see under the rear view mirror when exiting islands and such. I have the seat full back and down. I also have to fold myself in as it's low, and I've hit my head a couple of times. I like having a reach and rake steering wheel as these are hard to come by in alot of cars.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom