7kw home charging only pulling 5.8 - 6.2kw

DangerousDoug

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all, we've only had our new MG4 Trophy for 2 days, but I've charged it overnight twice on our Ohme home charger. This charger has been supplying our previous ZS EV with 7.2kw (32A) of juice for nearly 3 years now. But the MG4 is only drawing around 25ish amps (5.8 - 6.2kw). Is this a restriction in the car? what rates have other folks seen? Are you seeing the full 32A draw from a 7kw home charger?

Hi all, we've only had our new MG4 Trophy for 2 days, but I've charged it overnight twice on our Ohme home charger. This charger has been supplying our previous ZS EV with 7.2kw (32A) of juice for nearly 3 years now. But the MG4 is only drawing around 25ish amps (5.8 - 6.2kw). Is this a restriction in the car? what rates have other folks seen? Are you seeing the full 32A draw from a 7kw home charger?
As you probably know multiple things could cause this but all being equal I will be interested to see if other MG4 drivers have the same. Thanks for asking the question.

Gen 1 ZS EV here so can't answer for the 4.

Hi

Ive had my MG4 a few weeks now and when the charger is registering a 7.0kW energy release to the car, the MG4 sees 6.55kW. I understand that the transfer of energy from AC to the batteries is about 95% efficient. So the difference in the figures is about right. You should never see 7.0kW at the car.

Cheers
Simon

My SE SR sees 6.2 to 6.5kW at the car (according to the iSMART app), 6.5 to 6.9kW at the charge point (according to the Wallbox Pulsar Plus app).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back