7kW portable charger

I occasionally use a wall charger at work and one at home (in a different building) both rated at 7.4kW and my SE SR charges at 6.5 kW from either without issue. @halogen 5.2kW seems an excessive loss.

Apologies, I should have mentioned, there are several settings: 6 / 8 / 10 / 13 amps

Amazon product ASIN B0B1KY8P9H
I wouldn't run a domestic socket at a constant 13A - not unless it was on its own protected circuit and was known to be good and secure. I certainly wouldn't plug it into a normal ring main socket.

Apologies, I should have mentioned, there are several settings: 6 / 8 / 10 / 13 amps

Amazon product ASIN B0B1KY8P9H
For a regular in home plug I’d limit it to 10A.
16A is a thing that some granny chargers support in special plugs with a magnet to tell it to switch to 16A. But you need the wiring for it.

The continuous rated limit for domestic sockets is normally 10A and that is pushing it on older or poorly installed wiring. It also leaves no spare capacity on the same circuit for any other devices.

I would recommend using 6A if you can and having your wiring checked if that is an option, for your peace of mind. Especially if this is your long term solution.

Ideally you'd have a dedicated socket with its own circuit breaker.

It always pays to install cable that can carry much more current than you plan to draw. Voltage losses will be less as well as energy loss through heat. My single phase EVSE will draw 32 amps at 230 volts. The cable length from my distribution board to the EVSE is 12 metres.

I could have installed 4mm cable with a 2.5mm earth as over that distance the current rating is 39 amps. This is cutting it fine as the EVSE requires a 40 amp RCCB (residual current circuit breaker) to be installed at the board and voltage drop is 1.8% or 4.1 volts. at 32 amps & operating temperature is 59 deg C.

6mm cable gives much better safety and loss margins for not much extra cost. Current rating increases to 50 amps, voltage drop is 1.1% or 2.6 volts at 32 amps and operating temperature is 46 deg C.

I consistently get 6.59 kW at the car. The extra cost of the cable will pay for itself very quickly with fewer losses, cooler operation and a larger safety margin.

If you have no choice but to use a standard 10amp socket and you need an extension cord, make sure is is a heavy duty one with at least 1.5mm live & neutral cores (earth can be 1mm) & preferably 2.5mm L/N cores. This will provide the best and most consistent charging speed.

I occasionally use a wall charger at work and one at home (in a different building) both rated at 7.4kW and my SE SR charges at 6.5 kW from either without issue. @halogen 5.2kW seems an excessive loss.
idont know what and how am i getting 5.5kwh on the official MG wall charger. the cable is about 3.5m long though... I know something about the longer the cable the higher resistance hence lower voltage or something I'm not willing to meddle around by shortening the cable..

Attachments

• 20231130_153827.jpg
    20231130_153827.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 40
No definitely not. The cable i am talking about is from your power supply meter distribution board to the EVSE itself i.e. the power supply to the EVSE, not the cable from the EVSE to the car. Never mess with that.

No definitely not. The cable i am talking about is from your power supply meter distribution board to the EVSE itself i.e. the power supply to the EVSE, not the cable from the EVSE to the car. Never mess with that.
Will be pulling a new 10mm cable from the meter straight to the wall chargerthis weekend. Thanks for the input hopefully I'll get closer to 32amps or 7kwh in the car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back