A few MG5 questions

gavb20

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all,

Took delivery of a M5 Exclusive today that I ordered around April time and so far it seems great ( a big upgrade from my previous car ).

I had a few questions, the first of which I think is answered in this forum, and that is that although when I ordered the car, MG UK website heavily touted the iSMART app for MG5, but I am reading that it is not available and likely never will be which is a bit annoying.

In terms of maps/navigation, it gives me the option to update but no matter how much I look on the Mg website I can’t find any updates? Is this a dealer only thing, and does that mean I am unlikely to be able to install generally infotainment updates should they become available ?

Also, is there anywhere online I can check for updates around software etc ?

Apologies for the barrage of questions

Regards

Hi and welcome to the forum and you new car the iSMART app his not available on the MG5 Mk1 can we call it, this like my car with a grill on the front like in the picture below here that is a mk1 car
6A1C938F-0C78-4D5F-9F25-8848FE58A16B.jpeg
The newer car the updated version, still to arrive in the UK as far as I know, does not have the grill on the front but that car does have iSMART plus other bits and here a picture of that car still to come here but available in Europe now picture below.
34E20782-41BC-4F87-96E2-774CA809935A.png
As you can see no front grill on that new car
So as for satnav updates I don’t know of any and I have had my 5 for some 18 months.
You will find answer on this forum to most of your question with a bit of a search
Enjoy your car.
Les

I too have the MK1 but you may have a slightly different model if it has MG pilot with a sensor under the front number plate. Otherwise like Les says the face-lift with iSmart is only in Europe currently.
You can update the satnav and you will find it on here with a search but most use a phone connected in the left usb socket and use Google maps etc.

Thanks, I think using car play and Waze will be the way to go.

It’s a nice car so far, just a few annoyances. I was told by the dealership that with MG Pilot I’d get blind spot detection, but apparently that’s not the case.

The settings have an option for Speed Assist System that is either off, manual or intelligent but what ever you pick it reverts to off after 2 seconds.

The touch screen is a little bit slow, but that’s something I can live with.

Unsure on range this far too, it’s showing 97% charge and in eco gives a range estimate of 228 miles

The GOM is based on driving still etc, so reset the short and long trip counters, turn off the AC and fan to 0 and turn on in eco mode and that should give you a better figure

Thanks, I’ll try tomorrow. In terms of the Speed Assist System, do you know if there are any prerequisites to actually enable this ?

Thanks, I think using car play and Waze will be the way to go.

It’s a nice car so far, just a few annoyances. I was told by the dealership that with MG Pilot I’d get blind spot detection, but apparently that’s not the case.

The settings have an option for Speed Assist System that is either off, manual or intelligent but what ever you pick it reverts to off after 2 seconds.

The touch screen is a little bit slow, but that’s something I can live with.

Unsure on range this far too, it’s showing 97% charge and in eco gives a range estimate of 228 miles
Re Speed assist, look at pages 196-200 in the manual. There is quite a lot there, too much to put on here.

Included here is a link to get the online manual which is easier to read than the pocket book.

Had a read through and managed to get it activated and working; as others have mentioned, it’s a shame it has be activated every-time the car is turned back on but overall, really liking the car. It’s a nice drive

Had a read through and managed to get it activated and working; as others have mentioned, it’s a shame it has be activated every-time the car is turned back on but overall, really liking the car. It’s a nice drive
Yes, I have the same problem with the collision avoidance. Irritating, but after four months I'm getting used to it as part of my start-up routine.

There's lots of things that revert to 'default' every time the car is started (or most times, at least, sometimes it seems random) but there's no way to change the 'default'. It would be so simple to provide a setting somewhere in the menus. Vary annoying! Poor design, IMHO.

Hi and welcome to the forum and you new car the iSMART app his not available on the MG5 Mk1 can we call it, this like my car with a grill on the front like in the picture below here that is a mk1 car
View attachment 12112
The newer car the updated version, still to arrive in the UK as far as I know, does not have the grill on the front but that car does have iSMART plus other bits and here a picture of that car still to come here but available in Europe now picture below.
View attachment 12113
As you can see no front grill on that new car
So as for satnav updates I don’t know of any and I have had my 5 for some 18 months.
You will find answer on this forum to most of your question with a bit of a search
Enjoy your car.
Les
Hi Les, had to do a double take on your picture, I own DE21AYF, only one letter different! Bought in Crewe ex demo, 15K so far, well pleased.

Hi Les, had to do a double take on your picture, I own DE21AYF, only one letter different! Bought in Crewe ex demo, 15K so far, well pleased.
Yeh mine came from Crewe as well Gresons motors best deal I could fine at the time November 2020 but car was not registered until March 21 due to the roof rails issue.
But been very happy with it until now my wife has just got the MG4 really nice it is but not quite got the carrying space the 5 has for tools etc so I will stick with my 5 a bit longer other than that I may have gone for a 4
Les

There's lots of things that revert to 'default' every time the car is started (or most times, at least, sometimes it seems random) but there's no way to change the 'default'. It would be so simple to provide a setting somewhere in the menus. Vary annoying! Poor design, IMHO.
Slowly getting used to my start up process, and it’s working well.

I am getting a little sick of “MG Pilot Quit” and “Lane Assist System Quit” error messages every 5 - 10 mins though 🙄

I am getting a little sick of “MG Pilot Quit” and “Lane Assist System Quit” error messages every 5 - 10 mins though 🙄
Never seen those messages.

Had those messages now and again when using them on motorways or dual carriageway but not often and it soon comes back on glad you are liking the new car as I said before some on here worrying over miles or it dose this or dose that lol I think just enjoy the car you would worry over a new car then after a while not think about it the horrible ice cars 😁

Did a 20 mile trip to the office today, got the below error 17 times, and the lane assist quit error 5.

It does come back on, but sometimes it’ll quit multiple times one after the other.

Range isn’t too bad at all, plus I get free charging at the office :)

Attachments

• A1EBB174-B253-45B1-B261-D7A3D4E6F582.jpeg
    A1EBB174-B253-45B1-B261-D7A3D4E6F582.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 102

You need to clean the sensors, maybe leaves getting on them

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom