A Load of Hot Air

PristDean

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
So, having collected my car in spring, I have tested the cooling of the car with alarming results. Now we are approaching winter I thought I would test the heating as my confidence was knocked with the cooling experience.

So, tested with the car with it plugged in but not charging, with AC switched on and off, no hot air at all after ten minutes in each setting. Not even a warm breeze !!

So I unplugged the car and tested it again. Now if you switch the AC on you can hear it spin up and run :rolleyes: and with it on or off, warm air starts to circulate.

Long and short is... if you want hot air in the winter, you better not have the car plugged in and not charging, as running the AC and the heating seems dependent on drawing power from the HV battery. When the car is plugged in and not charging, HV battery access is disabled.

Not sure if anyone has had an update which fixes this or a different experience ?

Yup this was a real shock last winter, as pre-heating the car via the app meant having to run outside and unplug it (if it was plugged in from the night before and had finished)
Completely negates the handiness of that function.
We can see MG are rushing to fix it…..

So, having collected my car in spring, I have tested the cooling of the car with alarming results. Now we are approaching winter I thought I would test the heating as my confidence was knocked with the cooling experience.

So, tested with the car with it plugged in but not charging, with AC switched on and off, no hot air at all after ten minutes in each setting. Not even a warm breeze !!

So I unplugged the car and tested it again. Now if you switch the AC on you can hear it spin up and run :rolleyes: and with it on or off, warm air starts to circulate.

Long and short is... if you want hot air in the winter, you better not have the car plugged in and not charging, as running the AC and the heating seems dependent on drawing power from the HV battery. When the car is plugged in and not charging, HV battery access is disabled.

Not sure if anyone has had an update which fixes this or a different experience ?
It's really poor and makes redundant what is a really good feature, if I remember right it doesn't impact all cars.
Last winter there were loads though, works when plugged in and charging.
Works when not plugged in.
Doesn't work when plugged in and finished charging.
Who wants to run outside and unplug their car then go back into the house and activate the preheat, defeats the purpose.
Yet another "foible" of some cars.

Perhaps another example of MG & SAIC's failure when it comes to attention to details though QC.

From everything I am experiencing through owning this car, I can't see things improving. So I am now going to relentlessly drive issues down as much I can to remove as mush frustration as I can via dealerships until I find an alternative car which I am happy with from a reputable manufacturer with respected levels of service and vehicle quality. Then cut my losses.

Perhaps another example of MG & SAIC's failure when it comes to attention to details though QC.

From everything I am experiencing through owning this car, I can't see things improving. So I am now going to relentlessly drive issues down as much I can to remove as mush frustration as I can via dealerships until I find an alternative car which I am happy with from a reputable manufacturer with respected levels of service and vehicle quality. Then cut my losses.
There are some fantastic deals out there now

I have heard that this has been fixed now - Hopefully I can clarify this after next week ... Garage has it in...
That would be great to know, please let us know how you get on.

There are some fantastic deals out there now
Yep, my shortlist at present is the Megane e-Tech and the Volvo XE30, but the latter is not due until 10 months away I believe.

With you on that the Car, MG and SAIC are a joke and that’s why it cheap because once they have your cash all hope is out of the window. Will have endure the abomination for a couple of years, then get a car from real manufacture, who knows what they’re doing not some Chinese cowboy

With you on that the Car, MG and SAIC are a joke and that’s why it cheap because once they have your cash all hope is out of the window. Will have endure the abomination for a couple of years, then get a car from real manufacture, who knows what they’re doing not some Chinese cowboy
Agree... and if China does invade Taiwan, I wonder where that will leave us all ?

Yep, my shortlist at present is the Megane e-Tech and the Volvo XE30, but the latter is not due until 10 months away I believe.
Definitely a bigger boot in the Megane and more rear space from what I've seen of the ex30
Both software/infotainment systems light years ahead of MG, OTA updates for infotainment and vehicle modules (motor etc)

I have heard for the EX30 that the Google subscription is for a four year period only, after that you have to pay to access maps, assistant etc and it does not have AA but doe have Apple Car Play. Anyone know any more about that ? Seems odd to have to pay for something that is free

Last edited:
I have heard for the EX30 that the Google subscription is for a four year period only, after that you have to pay to access maps, assistant etc and it does not have AA but doe have Apple Car Play. Anyone know any more about that ? Seems odd to have to pay for something that is free
I’m not surprised that the Volvo doesn’t have AA as the system is basically a more comprehensive AA being android automotive.
Quite a few companies charge for the prem features Tesla is £10 a month or £100 for the year. A lad I know just got a Mercedes and they charge about £130 for the year to use the car phone app and few other luxury features

I’m not surprised that the Volvo doesn’t have AA as the system is basically a more comprehensive AA being android automotive.
Quite a few companies charge for the prem features Tesla is £10 a month or £100 for the year. A lad I know just got a Mercedes and they charge about £130 for the year to use the car phone app and few other luxury features
Yep, the OS is the same as in the Megane I imagine, I mean Android based, so I can understand why AA is not included. But to then charge for basic features such as navigation and Google assistant seems like an unreasonable push to me.
@Leni16 - Do Renault do this type of thing too with the Megane ?

AA is included with Renault and you can also download extra apps to the car from play store on the car system.
They don't charge you for it but you can sign up to mobile data for the car, not sure how much it is. I just hotspot my phone.
It's the best car software system I've used, it just works, it's really stable, maps are good, hey Google is good.
Good OTA updates, had a system update and a motor update

It isn't the fact that it is Chinese that causes the problems, high quality automotive products are also made there. It is SAIC's lack of communication coupled with the fact that it is operating at the budget end of the market where margins are small. The communication is fixable, but it will require a complete change of tack, which so far there has been no sign of.

Er... the EX30 is made in China by the way.
Yeah by Geely. There do of the top of my head polestar, Volvo, smart, lotus and probably other brands I’m not aware. The new MINI electric is by GWM a lot of expertise in China when it comes to EV’s. It’s a shame that SAIC suck at the MG.

Yeah by Geely. There do of the top of my head polestar, Volvo, smart, lotus and probably other brands I’m not aware. The new MINI electric is by GWM a lot of expertise in China when it comes to EV’s. It’s a shame that SAIC suck at the MG.
Agreed. And I'd bet a lot that many of the parts for the Renault Megane eTech also come from China.

Agreed. And I'd bet a lot that many of the parts for the Renault Megane eTech also come from China.
Might have one or two bits but the battery is LG Chem so Korean and the motor is made in France by Renault.
Must be why the French are so keen on pushing the Chinese EV agenda with the EU

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel