A Load of Hot Air

Right back on track with this thread, what does the A/C button do? I ask because I’ve just been out and had cold air blowing but the car was silent. Looked at the on screen controls, it was set to 22 fan speed auto but the A/C button was not selected. The button selected was the arrow pointing the Driver/ passengers face. Tried different temps and fan speeds all perfectly silent but as soon as I selected the A/C the nose returned.
The AC button turns on the AC pump in the car. This is the pump which moves gas around the system to chill pipes and produce cold air, similar to your fridge/freezer at home.
The pump contains r1235yf gas mixed with PAG 45 oil. The oil is to lubricate the pump as it works. On mine, the rattle you hear was so loud I had it investigated (after many arguments with MG who said it was normal) to find the pump contain no oil at all, hence was so loud.
However, the pump MG has chosen to use is loud, and in an EV car that makes it very audible to the point of being intrusive.

Last edited:
The AC button turns on the AC pump in the car. This is the pump which moves gas around the system to chill pipes and produce cold air, similar to your fridge/freezer at home.
The pump contains r1235yf gas mixed with PAG 45 oil. The oil is to lubricate the pump as it works. On mine, the rattle you hear was so loud I had it investigated (after many arguments with MG who said it was normal) to find the pump contain no oil at all, hence was so loud.
However, the pump MG has chosen to use is loud, and in an EV car that makes it very audible to the point of being intrusive.
Sorry I was clear in my post, I get how A/C works but if you don’t select the A/C but the one that looks like a driver and an arrow pointing to its face its silent no matter what temperature or fan speed

Attachments

• IMG_5880.jpeg
    IMG_5880.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 91
Sorry I was clear in my post, I get how A/C works but if you don’t select the A/C but the one that looks like a driver and an arrow pointing to its face its silent no matter what temperature or fan speed
Yep, that won't engage the pump, just the fan and the heater with the air directed from the centre vents towards the human... or robot.

My iSmart pre heating doesn't produce any hot air at all. I've tried turning it on and setting it to max temperature but nothing. I just gave up on it. Plugged or unplugged doesn't matter.
Go to the dealer and get a heatpumpmodule update (been there done that).
Or.... something else if heat works in the car (aka Ismart issue).

Yep, that won't engage the pump, just the fan and the heater with the air directed from the centre vents towards the human... or robot.
And this is it, if does everything that’s you need without engaging in the pump, and thus the noise… why use the pump?

Sorry if I’m going off topic a little bit, I was following French registered EX30 in Manchester City centre tonight.
It took me a while before I realised it was an EX30. It looked very nice!

I didn’t know it was already on sale in Europe.

Attachments

• IMG_3371.jpeg
    IMG_3371.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 70

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member