A sign of things to come

ChrisT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This is at a petrol station at Elsham Top a few miles from the Humber Bridge. Not live yet but not far off.
20211015_154137.jpg

Hmm, what network is it..may go for a drive over the bridge, though the Lidl at Barton at 23p per Kwh is hard to beat

I think they are 150kw chargers and yes they won't be lidl prices. I will guess 60p plus per kwh. But if you have to go you have to go and the more powerful chargers do cost more.

I think they are 150kw chargers and yes they won't be lidl prices. I will guess 60p plus per kwh. But if you have to go you have to go and the more powerful chargers do cost more.
60p would be expensive. Other than Ionity all the others, Osprey, Instavolt etc, have put their prices up to about 40/42p

Having not used a fast charger for at least a year, can anyone give some feedback on the present state of fast chargers? Eg: are there any that still require belonging to a "club" with a special card? How many chargers will just work with any touch credit or debit card? Are there any that are specially cheap or can get a better rate by relating it to their home supply ? Any info much appreciated.

This may be very handy for me, as my daughter lives near there in Barrow.
My daughter's home is on the limit for a single charge at 141 miles, but these are 127-132 miles away depending on route. :)
(Challenge being finding a decent rest stop half way, ideally with a charger, last time I stopped in Newark for 10kWs but the restaurant shown on the maps was closed down).

Last trip I discovered they now have new 7kW free PodPoints at Tescos in Barrow.

In an ideal world they would bring back all the littles chefs... as Electric Chefs.

Having not used a fast charger for at least a year, can anyone give some feedback on the present state of fast chargers? Eg: are there any that still require belonging to a "club" with a special card? How many chargers will just work with any touch credit or debit card? Are there any that are specially cheap or can get a better rate by relating it to their home supply ? Any info much appreciated.
I think you are thinking of Rapids, not our home fast chargers. :)
The vast majority now are contactless, although there may be a few that require an app but can't think of any that I use/have used that aren't contactless now.

I used some older Electric Highway units that need the app - but they are slowly being replaced. BP gives better rates if using the app (even if not a paying member). PodPoint too wanted the app used, so now they’ve got £1.93 of my money sitting from my £10 deposit. IONITY too wanted the app but charged card rather than pre-paying.

It's a significant step forward for EV's. ICE owners can see this modern charging station alongside their fuel pumps and will no doubt be curious. Its not a couple of chargers in the corner of a carpark, it's well thought out and stylish. That will help them to make the move to EV. Other fuel companies will be picking up on this also or have started their own roll out though Shell garages I have used only had 1 charger. This development is the most ambitious that I have seen except for Gridserve or Tesla and is far better than the motorway service's Ecotricity/ Gridserve with 2 chargers and badly designed parking. At some point fuel pumps will be removed for the expansion of the chargers no doubt. And all in North Lincs , as one local said 'that's a bit posh for round here' 😁

Yes, sorry, I am meaning Rapid chargers. My last long trip was in March 2020 and finding rapid chargers that worked with the minimum of hassle was hard. For a start, they tend not to use the same start-up procedures and payment regimes.
Recommendations for the most user friendly?

Instavolt are super easy to use. With or without the app. The good thing with most apps is they usually keep a running total so you can go for a walk and check on your phone how its going. Any that are connected with the Chargemap app are also super easy - just tap one the charger button on the app to charge.

Those photos look like they use the Shell Recharge network which is also good. Again, one touch charging with the app.

Multiple chargers ✅
Covered area ✅
Overhead lighting ✅
Coffee & cake shop or cafe ❓

If the last box is ticked then yes please!!!
The MFG site (same as the one pictured) nearest to me (Stretford, South Manchester) has a small shop, Greggs, Costa Express machine as well as a couple of jet washes.

I really like the angled approach to the parking......we have a few at our local supermarket and they always fill up first and are just so easy to use.:)

(Kia now Waxoyed and I love it...but this is not the place to discus it)

Still got my new MG spare wheel kit available..discounted....feel free to contact me.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom