A word of warning

Naveen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have a Trophy. On the centre storage cover which slides back to open do NOT leave loose coins. If you open the cover with coins on it or even brake a bit hard the coins slow back and disappear into the interior of the ! Can see how to retrieve. Just hope metal coins 3x £1 and 2x 0.50p do not gum up anything inside.

Good advice. I expect it's exactly the same in the SE, too.

I once dropped my house key right down inside my Golf, while using it to try to retrieve a parking voucher that had slipped down almost out of sight under the windscreen. I had to buy another parking voucher, and the key was never recovered. (The friend who was with me at the time has a house key of mine so at least I wasn't locked out.)

Bad news for anyone who finds that key . The lock was changed subsequently because another key broke off in it. It will not open the door now.

I wonder what things car breakers find inside vehicles when they take them apart!

I do. In particular, I carry a wee baggie of pound coins for the Edinburgh parking meters, which gobble the things. It lives in an interior pocket of my handbag, but I might have decided to put some in there to be sure I always had them in the car. Fair warning.

Having found this thread, I just tried an experiment using the change currently in my pocket.

1p, 5p & £1 coins are magnetic (the £1 only just)
2p & 20p aren't.

Sorry, dropped my phone whilst looking at the website and investigating storage. The coin tray looks like it fits the tip-up storage rather than the slide cover one. Did the money disappear up high at the back of the storage? I can't find a gap except at that position. I keep a box of tissues plus coins in a plastic bag in the centre section.

I have a Trophy. On the centre storage cover which slides back to open do NOT leave loose coins. If you open the cover with coins on it or even brake a bit hard the coins slow back and disappear into the interior of the ! Can see how to retrieve. Just hope metal coins 3x £1 and 2x 0.50p do not gum up anything inside.
<GOON_SHOW_VOICE> Such wealth!
:)

Sorry, dropped my phone whilst looking at the website and investigating storage. The coin tray looks like it fits the tip-up storage rather than the slide cover one. Did the money disappear up high at the back of the storage? I can't find a gap except at that position. I keep a box of tissues plus coins in a plastic bag in the centre section.
The coins slid into the back with cover but when cover came out....no coins!

Ah so you had left loose coins ON TOP of the sliding cover? I can see how that would leave them stranded in the void when the cover is opened. But I bet it's not that hard to undo the console and get underneath once you've saved enough loose change to make it worth doing 😁

Last edited:
Congratulations, you could have possibly increased your cars potential second hand value, be sure to mention it though!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back