ABRP Directions in Android Auto Volume Level

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Does anyone know how to adjust the volume of the directions given by ABRP when being used, with Android Auto, as the primary navigation aid?
I find that the sound level of the spoken directions to be so quiet as to be unintelligible.
If I increase the media volume, then the radio/streamed music/whatever becomes deafening before the ABRP directions can be heard.
An ABRP forum search simply brings up the suggestion to increase the volume of the native navigation system, but I can't find any way of adjusting that independently to the media settings.
Any suggestions?

I don't know for sure ... but I suspect the AA spoken directions are linked with the Vehicle Alerts volume (which everyone minimises to reduce the loudness of the indicators).

Well, that was a failure :(
Tried increasing the alerts volume, but couldn't find the option. I'm sure I have seen it somewhere, but goodness knows where.
I did find the settings in the attached photo, but after setting them as shown, I don't get any spoken directions from ABRP at all!
I'm confuzzled as well as being confuddled! o_O

Oh, and now my indicator noise is as loud as heck!!

Attachments

• PXL_20230125_144702492.jpg
    PXL_20230125_144702492.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 104
Well, it looks like I'm going to have to admit defeat in this. I did find the alerts volume eventually, but no combination of volume levels on media, radio, alerts, voice or anything else have had any effect. I am getting absolutely no voice directions at all that I can hear.

I have tried varying my all my phone settings as well with no luck. I even tried disconnecting bluetooth and reconnecting. No joy either way.

The odd thing is, the first time I tried out ABRP over Android Auto it worked, albeit incredibly quietly. Now, even with the settings back to where they were - not a peep!

could be the same as this thread, Only getting guidance audio when streaming audio, no guidance audio on Dab FM?

Hi Bernie. I was having a similar issue with Google Maps. By changing my google navigation settings to OFF for Play voice over bluetooth it appears to work for me now.... These are set within your google account so nothing to do with the car.

In my ZS I wait until the nav voice speaks and turn up during this, otherwise as above it just increases the media volume :oops:

In my ZS I wait until the nav voice speaks and turn up during this, otherwise as above it just increases the media volume :oops:
Hi RobF,

I had tried that and the volume was set to maximum but made no difference. I still need to check fully what I have done resolved my issue but it would play the google test voice through the car which it wouldn't do when i had 'Play Voice over Bluetooth' enabled.

Well on further testing this solution is more of a work around. Turning off play voice over Bluetooth allows the android phone speaker to be heard when and the radio is muted during playback so it's ok but not what it should be as volume can't be controlled by the car.

Well, I have found a decent work around, and its somewhat similar to a solution suggested in another thread, which I can't find at the moment.

The solution is to set the media source to streaming and use internet radio, not the car's radio. ABRP directions come through no problem then.

That works for me with a usb connection for Android Auto, I don't know if it would work with a wireless connection though.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back