AC charging rate

Hi Members,
Does anybody know what are the rules on electric car parking bays for electric cars only are? As I see a PHEV vehicles are not electric cars! Therefore shouldn't use the bays.
Mike,

There are no rules, just the same as petrol pumps. One would hope that good manners and consideration are all that is needed. Unfortunately there are many many arseholes out there who don,t give a damn what they do.

I queried a ICE car who was parked next to me when I was charging and quote "who the hell are you, the parking police". So tread lightly when the bays are being misused.

I always consider other EV users when charging and make it a point to be available or usually as I always do, sit in the car. I have however no compunction of charging my car to 100% (if I have the time) when using a rapid charger as long as no one is waiting to use the charger.

I have also came across EV users who are NOT charging and use it a a parking bay,

Regards

Frank

I have also came across EV users who are NOT charging and use it a a parking bay,

I think this is one of the most important parts. In my opinion (I don’t know if this is officially the case), they should not be considered parking bays at all - they should be considered charging bays. If a cars not being charged then they shouldn’t be in the bay. It can be used as a parking bay while charging yes, but it shouldn’t be treated like “My car takes electricity, so I’ll just park it here while I pop to the shops” without actually using the charger.

Purely my opinion of course, but I think this is going to continue to be a touchy subject, especially with ICE owners and even EV owners who might not have particularly friendly attitudes. There is also an education element this though, as it very much depends on how much research individuals have done of their own accord, it’s not like there‘s any guidance provided for these spaces other than a new electric symbol and maybe a sign saying Electric vehicles only (although to be fair I’ve seen pictures of some that do provide a bit more information for users).

Teslas idea of having charging stations at Fuel stations is the best in my opinion as it’s more fitting with “the norm” and easier for people to understand. Having chargers dotted about in random locations is obviously great (providing they are maintained and operational etc..), but they’re susceptible to the same issues that disabled or parent and child spaces come with unfortunately.

*Any points made above are purely my opinion.

I agree with you and that’s a sensible approach, and perhaps vehicles that aren’t entitled to park are fined for being parked in these bays. Perhaps this could come in to force with the so called green number plates...

The EV charging bays in Meadowhall have a notice say that if you're not charging your car then you will be fined, so it applies to EVs and ICEs.

I've seen charging bays blocked by PHEVs which have finished charging (probably within a few minutes!) but the car is then left with the cable attached while the owner goes about their business. I feel that charging etiquette should be that the driver returns to the vehicle around the time that charging is expected to finish (we all should have a feel for this after owning our cars for some little while), so the charger is not blocked. In the case of a PHEV, that time may only be a few minutes, or up to a couple of hours if it's a 7kw charger and the vehicle has 40 miles of capacity.

I see the Hertsmere Council will charge non electric cars in the electric bays. No figure of the penalty is mention.

I watched an episode of Rip off Britain were a guy questioned the hotel bill he received for charging his car which amounted to £30 odd pounds. When quizzed by the “ expert” it transpired that he left it plugged in all night where an overstay charge applied. How many other EV drivers were inconvenienced by his actions?

I read some where a Green Lamborghini was charged £100 fine for parking in a electric car bay. Plus a £100 fee for towing the car away followed by a compound charge per day to!

I read some where a Green Lamborghini was charged £100 fine for parking in a electric car bay. Plus a £100 fee for towing the car away followed by a compound charge per day to!
That's right...

Attachments

• Lamborghini-groen-EV-weggesleept.jpg
    Lamborghini-groen-EV-weggesleept.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 117
Hi Member,
I am intrigue to know when looking at the battery power gauge 8v -16v, when does it comes to life?

Thanks for the reply and good photo. I suppose a expensive car like that a penalty charge doesn't mean an awful lot to the driver!
Only the eternal shame of the internet. But if you ask me, the color alone would have done that ?.
I find it very satisfying that this car not only got towed away, an unusual site to be seen because most times cars like that are left alone, but the Policeman who had the balls to do this was riding an e-bike. How cool is that.

Last edited:
Only the eternal shame of the internet. But if you ask me, the color alone would have done that ?.
I find it very satisfying that this car not only got towed away, an unusual site to be seen because most times cars like that are left alone, but the Policeman who had the balls to do this was riding an e-bike. How cool is that.
A cool one indeed great stuff give the Policeman a raise too.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom