Accelerator pedal stuck down!

Kat Wood

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
On my way to work I accelerated at a roundabout, not especially hard and quickly realised it was continuing to accelerate despite me not wanting to. I was able to use the brake but every time I took my foot off the brake it accelerated alarmingly quickly. I should point out I didn't have any assistant modes on and I was in a 30 limit with cars around me travelling at no more than 20. When I pulled up I put the car into park, touched the accelerator pedal with my foot and it sprung up, suggesting it had been stuck down. There was nothing in the foot well, no obvious reason for it to get stuck... Any advice?! I'm not a nervous driver but I must admit this has shaken me!

First as Ian Key said.

If this happens again:
First brake as you did to controll the speed, then swithc foot on the brake pedal to free up your right foot. Use your shoe tip to gently try to lift up the accelrator pedal.

You do no harm to the brakes if just lightly pressing the the brake pedal enough to get the power switch to zero or below to drive to a safe spot if the accelerator pedal stays stuck. (Using the brake pedal to power the car on off).

The MG4 can also be switched between drive and neutral and back to drive while driving, but it's safer to only use the brake pedal until the situation is under controll.

I switch the car to neutral at speed when I do my weekly brake disck (rust) cleaning rutine (drive to speed, chek that no one is behind, neutral and firm braking to slow speed a couple of times). That's how I know the 4 can do this.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel