Active Grille system

Michael Holt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have noticed that after the vast majority of my drives in the MG4 Trophy no matter what distance, the active grille has activated. Even on cold days when I wouldn't expect it to do so it has come on. I generally drive it carefully so it's not due to thrashing it. Anyone else noticed it come on more than expected on theirs?

Cheers Michael

I would have thought there might be some.sort of symbol appearing on one of the displays when it opens up. I take it there isn't one? I didn't expect it ro open up until ambient temp is about 20 degrees which is almost never in Scotland.

I would have thought there might be some.sort of symbol appearing on one of the displays when it opens up. I take it there isn't one? I didn't expect it ro open up until ambient temp is about 20 degrees which is almost never in Scotland.
I haven't seen any symbols. I will probably give the garage a call as it seems daft cooling an already cold battery.

The fan noise may be your AC compressor
Not sure but it could be that.

Mine opens each time as AC is always on, turned HVAC off whilst cleaning today and grille remained shut
I've tried mine in the last hour and it does seem that if the AC is on then the active grille kicks in. I always have the hvac set to auto and therefore the AC is on. I'm glad I now know the reason so I will now only have it turned on when it's really necessary and avoid having cold air blowing over an already cold battery. The range should improve as a result too I assume.

I've tried mine in the last hour and it does seem that if the AC is on then the active grille kicks in. I always have the hvac set to auto and therefore the AC is on. I'm glad I now know the reason so I will now only have it turned on when it's really necessary and avoid having cold air blowing over an already cold battery. The range should improve as a result too I assume.
That sounds like the active grille is switched on with the AC. So as if to say if it's warm enough for AC then you need the grille open. Crap way of controlling the active grille. Lots of people use AC all year round. It can't operate like that can it ? Surely not.

The battery gets cooled via a little heat exchanger in the AC circuit so effectively shares the condenser mounted at the front of the car.
If you're stuffing 130kw into it during DC charging I would guess the grill should open and AC be active to protect the battery.
If it also opens when you're just running the HVAC you've got to wonder what the hell is the point of it though (the active vent) as it's hardly ever going to be closed for most folks.

FWIW, I've been running my SE standard with the lower air intake TOTALLY blocked off since Dec last year in a bid to boost aero efficiency.
Difficult to say how much it helps but there's been no complaints from the car. I don't DC charge so the battery coolant temp remains ambient, pump never runs.
Coolant flows in the other circuit when hammering it and using the onboard charger but I've never seen it climb higher than 50 degrees, the rad fan has yet to run so it's obviously happy with the passive cooling so far.

If the fan starts to spool up as the summer months arrive I'll take that as a hint that the system wants more airflow and at least partially uncover the vent slots again, but I wouldn't be surprised if I just don't need to up here in the chilly north. 🥶

I looked at this on my drive today. If the heating system is on and AC is enabled, then the grill opens. Disable AC with the heating still on and the grill closes. It does not matter if you are making any demand of the AC or not.

Poor programming from MG, the grill should only open when AC is enabled AND there is demand for AC cooling. (ignoring other cooling demands that is!)

I think the AC will be in action even if heating is being demanded. I can hear the cooling fan spool up every now and then. It is not solely for cooling but also dehumidifying the incoming air

I think the AC will be in action even if heating is being demanded. I can hear the cooling fan spool up every now and then. It is not solely for cooling but also dehumidifying the incoming air
Agreed. AC can be used with heating or cooling and it is great in the winter to defog the screen.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back