Aero covers are damaging my alloys

It wasn't there on arrival on my car, I'm sure I would have spotted it when I did my first wash, my theory is here.
Hmmmm, Its just that those clips look to be plastic with the metal just acting as a spring and not coming into contact with the wheel.
Is the paint on the wheel particularly soft?

Hmmmm, Its just that those clips look to be plastic with the metal just acting as a spring and not coming into contact with the wheel.
Is the paint on the wheel particularly soft?
@Sloucher I don't think it's the clip or the plastic itself directly doing the damage.

It's the build-up of the brake dust captured by the plastic molding. This is then held/rubbed against the wheel's surface like sandpaper, causing the marks, that or just the brake dust's corrosive nature,

I have adjusted my markup on the photo on the original post to be clearer about the area on the aero cover capturing the brake dust and causing the problem.

Spent some time this evening cleaning one of the wheels to try and remove the marks. Most of the mark is the brake dust and came off quite easily with a good wheel cleaner. There remain some very minor marks on the surface, this can hardly be felt and is only visible under bright light, and not noticeable unless you know it's there. I think with a decent polish these will buff out, at this point. I am now convinced this is the cause of the marks.

Over time I'm not sure this would continue to be something you could polish out and the damage may well become permanent.

I have applied clear tape over the area on the wheel being marked on the one I have cleaned to protect it from further damage at this stage.

Last edited:
Only a week old according to the comments in YouTube so likely not enough time for build up.
Mine had the scratches when I washed the car when It was brand new

Just FYI - I have the 'alloy protection' contract, which resulted in a technician coming out to deal with one minor scuff from kerbing whilst reversing in the street (my drive was blocked by a neighbour). When he was done polishing out the scuff... I too noticed the 's-shaped' scratch, though it was only on one of the 'spokes' so to speak. The chap presumed it was from fitting the covers.

I discussed with the service manager today when I collected my car after it having some bits and bobs done. They are of the opinion that the aero covers are rubbing causing these marks. They have logged with MG and await the advice on fix from them. Although I don’t see them in normal use, he is in agreement with me that it’s not acceptable as will likely suffer corrosion over time. I’ll update as soon as I hear anything.

I discussed with the service manager today when I collected my car after it having some bits and bobs done. They are of the opinion that the aero covers are rubbing causing these marks. They have logged with MG and await the advice on fix from them. Although I don’t see them in normal use, he is in agreement with me that it’s not acceptable as will likely suffer corrosion over time. I’ll update as soon as I hear anything.
Agreed much as it's resolved to a point ATM, in time it will for sure cause a bigger issue

I consider the car to be a means of getting from A to B. If you spend your time worrying about tiny little scratches on your wheels then you are missing out on a lot that life has to offer,. just saying
Thanks for the advice. I am not spending my time worrying, and I have a fulfilling life, you can rest easy. I am highlighting an issue that will be problematic long term as the wheels are likely going to corrode due to the (significant) scratches, my dealer is in agreement. Some people will be interested and will contribute to this thread and you clearly are not interested but its great to hear your point of view. Just saying

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel