Aero covers are damaging my alloys

Point of order - the trims are only fitted when the car reaches the dealership. So any lazy practice is here in the UK in this case.
What does the rear of the trims look like ?.
I am fully expecting to see metal retaining clips on the back of the trim, that is meant to engage on mot each of the spokes on the alloy wheels.
If the wheel trim is offered up to the wheel in the incorrect position, my guess would be is that as the trim is rotated, the metal retaining clips on the back of the cover, scratches each wheel spoke as it rotated in attempt to locate each spoke ?.

Probably the lashings on the ship have caused this?View attachment 13321
View attachment 13322
Stena LIne use wrap around soft lashings like this.
Others may use metal clip type that hook on to spoke?
It's not the lashing, no one uses anything with any form of metal in contact with the wheel surface, ever. I used to work in automotive shipping.

What does the rear of the trims look like ?.
I am fully expecting to see metal retaining clips on the back of the trim, that is meant to engage on mot each of the spokes on the alloy wheels.
If the wheel trim is offered up to the wheel in the incorrect position, my guess would be is that as the trim is rotated, the metal retaining clips on the back of the cover, scratches each wheel spoke as it rotated in attempt to locate each spoke ?.

The clips actually go between the spokes, which is counterintuitive, most people would think the clips go onto the spokes.
So, if it’s the dealers that attach them, my guess is MG gave them no guidance and mechanics are trying to get the clips onto the spokes rather than between them, and scratching the faces of the spokes in the process.

The clips actually go between the spokes, which is counterintuitive, most people would think the clips go onto the spokes.
So, if it’s the dealers that attach them, my guess is MG gave them no guidance and mechanics are trying to get the clips onto the spokes rather than between them, and scratching the faces of the spokes in the process.
I think the aero trims on the facelift ZS EV do grip onto the spokes, maybe that is where it came from ??.

I think the aero trims on the facelift ZS EV do grip onto the spokes, maybe that is where it came from ??.

I took mine off to get winter tyres fitted on Saturday, when I came to put them back on my first thought was the clips went onto the spokes, the scratches already on the spokes also being an indication (I thought).
Then a bit of head scratching when it was obvious the clips don’t go wide enough to go over the spokes.
Then a mid spoke epiphany.

Nothing to do with the covers

It’s clearly transit damage from being lashed wrong on the ship (or less likely the delivery trucks)

Nothing to do with the covers

It’s clearly transit damage from being lashed wrong on the ship (or less likely the delivery trucks)
Even though someone (who allegedly has experience of shipping vehicles) said that this is almost certainly not the case?

IMO the damage is caused by people ‘sliding’ the covers around on the alloys to locate them.
Lazy practice at the factory IMO, other factories would have a tool or other better practice to make sure the covers locate properly first time.
highly unlikely IMO, the “S“ shape scratches are all practically identical and appear on multiple spokes of the same wheel. They would be random scratches if caused by sliding around to fit.

@Stageshoot that's what I thought just checked all the wheels and exactly the same marks in a consistent shape and place. I don't remember having these marks when I first check the car over soon after I got it.

So have checked the back of the aerocovers and here is my theory. Brake dust or similar (front worse than back) builds up in the molding and then rubs to cause the mark. Much of the mark goes with a wipe, this leaves a more permanent mark on the wheel. What remains is much less prominent though still looks quite bad. Not sure if what remains can be easily removed or not, that needs a bit more time to work out, brake dust never lifts off easily.

Photos with the molding I suspect is the cause circled.

Attachments

• PXL_20221205_114950258.jpg
    PXL_20221205_114950258.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 206
  • PXL_20221205_114826449.jpg
    PXL_20221205_114826449.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 196
  • PXL_20221205_115030589~3.jpg
    PXL_20221205_115030589~3.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 2,841
Last edited:
The scratchers were on ours before the dealer even fitted the covers (They documented it).

Always a Z shaped scratch on all those seen always just on one spoke, clearly transit hooks

The aeros have 3 clips if I remember correctly so would damage 3 spokes not 1.
I have cleaned my wheels (to a point) and so we shall see if they return after a bit of driving. For now I maintain my theory, it's an exact match of shape and location of the highlighted molding, on every wheel and spoke and I don't remember a mark from 1st delivery. My marks match the shape and location @Crawfyp in the OP.

Were your scratches exactly the same, it's quite possible that some have been damaged in transit with a different marking, so I'm not doubting you may have something from transit.

Last edited:
That's an exact match for the scratches. I Haven't taken mine off yet to check mine.

Is it possible when the covers are pushed on that the force is enough to mark the alloy?

Is there enough space to maybe put a thin bit of sticky foam on the back of the covers?

That's an exact match for the scratches. I Haven't taken mine off yet to check mine.

Is it possible when the covers are pushed on that the force is enough to mark the alloy?

Is there enough space to maybe put a thin bit of sticky foam on the back of the covers?
As I say above my view is it's a build up of break dust or similar rather than something from when they are fitted. The mark.doesnt seem to be from something hitting the wheel spoke.
As it's a build up I'm not sure how much a pad would make a difference other than move the mark, though could be worth a try.

As I say above my view is it's a build up of break dust or similar rather than something from when they are fitted. The mark.doesnt seem to be from something hitting the wheel spoke.
As it's a build up I'm not sure how much a pad would make a difference other than move the mark, though could be worth a try.
Would some tape on the alloys protect them?

Would some tape on the alloys protect them?
I recon it probably would, something that comes off without residue etc. Probably also worth something on the friction points where the covers mount. Others may have better info on the correct ways to protect the wheels.

I will upload a few photos from the aero covers and the road wheel from the ZS EV facelift, that appear to have a similar clip arrangement, this is for reference only.
Studying the clips, it appears that they align / locate between the spokes and not onto them.
Therefore is this likely to rule out that the clip has been responsible for scratches to the face of the spokes on the road wheels ?.
Are the aero trims fitted prior to delivery to the dealers on the MG4 ? ( unlikely I guess ).
If so, have the trims been removed to check the torque of the wheel bolts as part of the PDI ?.
If so, could the scratches on the face of the spokes, suggest a pry bar has been used to help remove the trims ?.
If the dealer installs the trims and one dealer has identified the scratches before fitting the trims, this could suggest the problem is in fact, down stream of the dealer ?.

29929332-21CC-4231-845B-E5167F675635.jpeg

6E1B50DC-DCB1-4B18-A6AA-9E49883DF888.jpeg

9B4EA69E-560F-4759-9E13-076638BFB126.jpeg

I will upload a few photos from the aero covers and the road wheel from the ZS EV facelift, that appear to have a similar clip arrangement, this is for reference only.
Studying the clips, it appears that they align / locate between the spokes and not onto them.
Therefore is this likely to rule out that the clip has been responsible for scratches to the face of the spokes on the road wheels ?.
Are the aero trims fitted prior to delivery to the dealers on the MG4 ? ( unlikely I guess ).
If so, have the trims been removed to check the torque of the wheel bolts as part of the PDI ?.
If so, could the scratches on the face of the spokes, suggest a pry bar has been used to help remove the trims ?.
If the dealer installs the trims and one dealer has identified the scratches before fitting the trims, this could suggest the problem is in fact, down stream of the dealer ?.

View attachment 13371

View attachment 13372

View attachment 13374
Agreed, the metal element of the clips won't touch the face of the wheel directly and hence won't scratch the wheel.
I don't believe this is a direct at all in fact it's a build-up of brake dust against the moulding, this could ultimately cause damage itself if the cover moves at all, though at this stage I'm not sure it will.
The trims are fitted at the dealership they arrive in the boot, there is no need to use a pry bar to remove them and that sort of thing wouldn't cause such consistent marks.

Last edited:
As wheels are fitted by machines in the factory these days, could it be assembly marks and nothing to do with the trims at all?
It wasn't there on arrival on my car, I'm sure I would have spotted it when I did my first wash, my theory is here.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back