Take off your MG4 wheel covers now!! All they do is damage the alloy and they look CRAP!!

I think there are 3 kinds of wheel people:

- Those for whom the size, design and aesthetics of the wheels are paramount and they will change them to get the look right.

- Those who want the wheels to look nice but aren't bothered about the details, they won't change them but might take the covers off.

- Those who couldn't care less what the wheels look like, much more interested in things like efficiency.
Option 4, don't care about wheels aslong as they're attached and not randomly falling off (sobs in Toyota bZ4X)

Last edited:
Discs corroding quickly is a sign of poor quality discs. They should be replaced

Alloy covers,
Now the benefits here are that they are cheaper to replace than having alloys replaced or refurbished. Helps with efficiency for the car too. Also hides the view of corroded discs 🤣

The drawback, not as aesthetically pleasing as a nice looking set of alloys. The MG4 alloys are basic at best.

The alloy protection they try and sell when you purchase is a bit laughable considering the 'S' marks created on them by the cover fixings.
Depends on how you define corrosion.

The vast majority of disc brakes are steel. They “corrode” with a light film of rust, sometimes within a few hours, if left outside in the rain.

We have as an example 5 cars in the family which will have a rust taint on the brakes if left standing a few days. Porsche VW Toyota Mazda all exhibited this.

Its not exactly deep seated rust, but give time and it will be.

Interestingly in the 70s when the Japanese started putting stainless steel discs on motorcycles it was a major mistake. They didnt “rust” but they were ineffective in the wet until applied hard to make them dry out. I personally experienced being dumped on my ass as the brakes did nothing and then came on full blast and locked the front wheel.

Depends on how you define corrosion.

The vast majority of disc brakes are steel. They “corrode” with a light film of rust, sometimes within a few hours, if left outside in the rain.

We have as an example 5 cars in the family which will have a rust taint on the brakes if left standing a few days. Porsche VW Toyota Mazda all exhibited this.

Its not exactly deep seated rust, but give time and it will be.

Interestingly in the 70s when the Japanese started putting stainless steel discs on motorcycles it was a major mistake. They didnt “rust” but they were ineffective in the wet until applied hard to make them dry out. I personally experienced being dumped on my ass as the brakes did nothing and then came on full blast and locked the front wheel.
Corrosion is a natural process that converts a refined metal into a more chemically stable oxide. So on the discs the metal is changing form which I assume is reducing the disc.

I have a Hyundai Ioniq 38 kwh which I leased to see how I could live with an EV. Even though it sits in my garage each night and throughout the day when not in use, the discs still show surface corrosion signs and make a noise when first driven.

I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering this right, but I don't think the plastic wheel trims are retained by metal clasps. Those metal clasps are actually there to tension the plastic clips that grip the wheel. If the wheels are being gripped by metal, then I'd suggest there's something wrong with the way they've been fitted.
For the record, my wheels are unmarked.
Yep, the clasps on mine are definitely plastic where they grip the wheels, the metal does the tensioning.
I do have slight marks on the outer surface of every wheel where little raised plastic sections of the trim contact the alloys.
These raised sections and the clasps were greased by the dealer (presumably) and I've cleaned and re-greased any time I've popped the trims off.
Must admit, I quite like the trims and they give a 'first defence' to the alloys every time my beloved borrows the car 😭

This was raised on an old thread here is my theory at the time.
Post in thread 'Aero covers are damaging my alloys' Aero covers are damaging my alloys
At the time I cleaned of the build up and taped over the effected area where the s shaped mark was being left. Sure enough the same s shaped mark appears over the taped area.
So my theory is that the back of the aero cover is collecting the brake dust and this adheres to the wheel surface causing the mark. This can be cleaned off if done soon enough, it will eventually cause a permanent mark on the wheels.
The attached photo is the area on the aero cover that's causing the mark.

Attachments

• PXL_20221205_115030589_3.jpg
    PXL_20221205_115030589_3.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 178
This was raised on an old thread here is my theory at the time.
Post in thread 'Aero covers are damaging my alloys' Aero covers are damaging my alloys
At the time I cleaned of the build up and taped over the effected area where the s shaped mark was being left. Sure enough the same s shaped mark appears over the taped area.
So my theory is that the back of the aero cover is collecting the brake dust and this adheres to the wheel surface causing the mark. This can be cleaned off if done soon enough, it will eventually cause a permanent mark on the wheels.
The attached photo is the area on the aero cover that's causing the mark.
I wonder if that could be filed down to stop it contacting the alloy? Could make it worse, giving it more room to vibrate, perhaps?

I wonder if that could be filed down to stop it contacting the alloy? Could make it worse, giving it more room to vibrate, perhaps?
Wonder the same myself, have raised it with the dealer, in the mean time added some protection to the wheel. As soon as any adjustment made to the cover there is no chance of MG doing anything. Not that they will anyway.

Well that’s clearly exceptional from the expected “corrosion” PrisDean also defined as normal.
My current faves are :

The disks look rusty if brakes used lightly- same for all cars even my mx5 and boxster which have been in my garage since November.
You stated that people in the forum were complaining that “discs look rusty”, one of your “current faves”. Can you point us to the posts where people are complaining of superficial rust (which is of course normal) on their discs, I don’t remember seeing any.

Im pointing out people’s expectations of whats “corrosion” will vary. You can do our own research

Last edited:
Im pointing out people’s expectations of whats “corrosion” will vary. You can do our own research
No, you were saying that people were needlessly complaining of superficial surface rust on discs and then failed to show any examples of this. Yes, I do my own research and I tend to ask an expert rather than make assumptions, try it some time.

Last edited:
I seem to remember that alloy wheels were suppose to be lighter than a similar steel wheel, their use was intended to reduce the dynamic weight on the suspension and improve the handling.

Sadly these days the alloy wheel option is often significantly heavier than the steel option and the designs are somewhat suspect. You can guarantee todays latest and greatest fashion choice will be seen as next years "no no" fashion !

The solution would be hollagraphic projections on simple wheel disc? (projected from the inner wheel arch of course) Then you could change the wheel design by loading up a new holographic projection. (what fun ) Almost as crazy as the alloy wheel fashion business. I wonder when they will start marketing the "green wooden wheel" instead of alloy

Good spot MK1 focus
download.jpeg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums