Take off your MG4 wheel covers now!! All they do is damage the alloy and they look CRAP!!

M101

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I washed my car this weekend and decided to remove the wheel covers to clean the alloys and im shocked that MG chose to fit these to the car.
The wheel covers have metal clasps on them that grip on to the wheel and all they do is scratch the wheels and make them look awful.
Mine have never been removed before and every wheel has scratches where the metal clips touch.

Anyone buying a brand new MG4 should ask the dealer to remove the crappy plastic covers before they accept the car because they will get scratched and then you cant be blamed for it and possibly get a new set of wheels!

I've heard that all the wheels were scratched during the shipping and the covers were to hide them.
I can confirm there are also scratches where they have hooked the ratchet straps

I washed my car this weekend and decided to remove the wheel covers to clean the alloys and im shocked that MG chose to fit these to the car.
The wheel covers have metal clasps on them that grip on to the wheel and all they do is scratch the wheels and make them look awful.
Mine have never been removed before and every wheel has scratches where the metal clips touch.

Anyone buying a brand new MG4 should ask the dealer to remove the crappy plastic covers before they accept the car because they will get scratched and then you cant be blamed for it and possibly get a new set of wheels!

I've heard that all the wheels were scratched during the shipping and the covers were to hide them.
I can confirm there are also scratches where they have hooked the ratchet straps
I don’t think straps is the cause. There are many that have “S” shaped scratches on the face of the alloy and my dealer has discounted the strap theory also. It has been reported to MG from my dealer and we are still waiting for a response.

All my wheels have the S shaped scratch on them and scratches where the wheel covers clamp.
The S scratch came from somwhere and I've seen a picture of the cars on the ships with straps on the wheels to stop them moving so if they weren't done during shipping and nearly evey car had them, does that mean they were scratched during the assembly and every customer gets a free set of new wheels?

All my wheels have the S shaped scratch on them and scratches where the wheel covers clamp.
The S scratch came from somwhere and I've seen a picture of the cars on the ships with straps on the wheels to stop them moving so if they weren't done during shipping and nearly evey car had them, does that mean they were scratched during the assembly and every customer gets a free set of new wheels?
Ask yourself, what are the chances of the same shape resulting on many different cars as a result of them being strapped down, a highly variable process? My opinion and that of my dealer is that the cover itself is causing the scratching and this would account for the same damage across cars. If it concerns you, it does me, then you should ask your dealer to raise the fault with MG

Ask yourself, what are the chances of the same shape resulting on many different cars as a result of them being strapped down, a highly variable process? My opinion and that of my dealer is that the cover itself is causing the scratching and this would account for the same damage across cars. If it concerns you, it does me, then you should ask your dealer to raise the fault with MG
If every car has it.... it's a feature 😂

As said, the cars are shipped without the covers. The dealer fits them, no doubt if turned in to position then scratching occurs.

The wheel covers are symmetrical, so if there is an S shaped scratch on one spoke of the wheel then they should be on them all.

Take your cover off and have a look at how they clamp in place.

My car needs to go back to the dealer for a horrendously creaky driver's seat that needs sorting because im not putting up with that for 4 years so i will mention the wheels at the same time. I dont want them replacing but i dont want this to go against me when i give the car back at the end of my 4 years!

I think its very fair to say, that this is my first and most likely my last MG!
There are too many issues for a brand-new car with 2300 miles on the clock!

The wheel covers are symmetrical, so if there is an S shaped scratch on one spoke of the wheel then they should be on them all.

Take your cover off and have a look at how they clamp in place.

My car needs to go back to the dealer for a horrendously creaky driver's seat that needs sorting because im not putting up with that for 4 years so i will mention the wheels at the same time. I dont want them replacing but i dont want this to go against me when i give the car back at the end of my 4 years!

I think its very fair to say, that this is my first and most likely my last MG!
There are too many issues for a brand-new car with 2300 miles on the clock!
Made my opinion clear. You have yours. Good luck with finding resolution.

So why not just leave them on. They cover up any of those scratches and I have to say that I do like them.
Because i dont want them to scratch the wheels even more and lower the value of my car for when i give it back at the end of this deal, I’ve already had a puncture so when the tyre shop repaired it they had to remove the cover so that will be more scratches.
Seriously, its metal on metal at most point of contact, its a terrible design and should have had a some rubber moulded on to the metal to prevent scratches
Im on the other side of this fence, i think they look cheap and tacky. Why fit alloy wheels and them cover them up with plastic wheel covers so everyone thinks the car is so cheap it came with steel wheels like crap cars did 20 years

On the plus side, the wheel covers will look brand new when i give the car back :)

IMO the alloys look cheap and bland. Which is why I suspect covers are fitted.

And as every MG has covers fitted i feel it’s extremely unlikely anyone will asses the vehicle at sale with them off!

Ive belonged to many car forums in my time. I can say this one deliberately goes out of its way to find any issue it can with the subject car.

My current faves are :

The disks look rusty if brakes used lightly- same for all cars even my mx5 and boxster which have been in my garage since November.

Car apparently wont start at -40c.

Cant climb a 1 in 3 slope.

The only thing ive seen of concern is locked in syndrome- which is apparently fixed.

I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering this right, but I don't think the plastic wheel trims are retained by metal clasps. Those metal clasps are actually there to tension the plastic clips that grip the wheel. If the wheels are being gripped by metal, then I'd suggest there's something wrong with the way they've been fitted.
For the record, my wheels are unmarked.

I think there are 3 kinds of wheel people:

- Those for whom the size, design and aesthetics of the wheels are paramount and they will change them to get the look right.

- Those who want the wheels to look nice but aren't bothered about the details, they won't change them but might take the covers off.

- Those who couldn't care less what the wheels look like, much more interested in things like efficiency.

The disks look rusty if brakes used lightly- same for all cars even my mx5 and boxster which have been in my garage since November.
I haven‘t noticed anyone in the forum complaining of discs ”looking rusty”. I did start a thread as my parking brake was binding on and I had a strong scoring noise under braking from the rear. I was surprised to be phoned by the dealer to say that the rear discs were heavily corroded and they were replacing them. I thought they just needed a bit of grease and was surprised as anyone to hear they would be replacing the discs.

Discs corroding quickly is a sign of poor quality discs. They should be replaced

Alloy covers,
Now the benefits here are that they are cheaper to replace than having alloys replaced or refurbished. Helps with efficiency for the car too. Also hides the view of corroded discs 🤣

The drawback, not as aesthetically pleasing as a nice looking set of alloys. The MG4 alloys are basic at best.

The alloy protection they try and sell when you purchase is a bit laughable considering the 'S' marks created on them by the cover fixings.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back