Airbnb

I would never charge using granny unless given the ok and would aways expect to pay. I have specifically booked an AirBnb with charging availability in Cornwall. It has a 7kw charge point at the owners house next to the converted barn we are staying in. They have a PHEV. The barn actually is part run by solar. I just pay for what I use. The cost being whatever deal they are on on the time.
Charge when the sun shines, zero charge

I wouldn't imagine that the owner has told the renter that they couldn't use any electricity at all, obviously. So did they say which items they could plug in or not ? Maybe a razor but not a hair dryer ?
Unless it has been expressly forbidden, there is no abstracting going on and no dishonest use.

Discourteous usage perhaps but I think not illegal.
I think your total wrong, but each to their own view.

He seems to be saying that it's not theft, but it's bad manners. I think he's right. I don't think anyone renting an airbnb could be charged with theft for plugging an appliance into the electricity supply unless they had been explicitly told not to do it.

Still bad manners.

He seems to be saying that it's not theft, but it's bad manners. I think he's right. I don't think anyone renting an airbnb could be charged with theft for plugging an appliance into the electricity supply unless they had been explicitly told not to do it.

Still bad manners.
It’s not an appliance, provided within the accommodation or Normandy expected to be bought in and used, it’s a car!

Compare it to using a Airbnb’s water supply to fill up a bulk water tanker to take home and fill your empty Olympic size swimming pool. Or emptying their oil heating tank and taking the oil home to use in your heating system.

It’s not an appliance, provided within the accommodation or Normandy expected to be bought in and used, it’s a car!

Compare it to using a Airbnb’s water supply to fill up a bulk water tanker to take home and fill your empty Olympic size swimming pool. Or emptying their oil heating tank and taking the oil home to use in your heating system.
There are many rentals that allow you to charge your car, I don't think many would allow you to take their oil home, that would be theft.
As I said charging without confirming if OK is discourteous, rude and bad manners, but it is certainly not theft if the property comes with use of electricity supply. Would it be theft to plug in my 2 bar electric heater in winter if I was cold, or leave the TV and lights on 24 hours a day ?
We are talking here about facts, is it theft or not ? Not whether it should have been done or not.
I think you would get short shrift from the local constabulary if you complained about somebody using the electric supply at a place you rented to them.
If you had specifically excluded it, you may be able to sue for breach of terms of booking contract, a civil offence, but not a criminal act of theft.

Last edited:
It’s not an appliance, provided within the accommodation or Normandy normally expected to be bought in and used, it’s a car!

I still think we're more or less on the same page. It's rude and inconsiderate. I very very much doubt that you could make a theft charge stick. You could make a case for it being an appliance you brought in. Some places are quite OK with charging an electric car, whereas you will not find bulk appropriation of water or oil to be tolerated by anyone.

He probably had about £12 worth of electricity. Maybe the owner didn't realise it was so little, and compared it to filling a car's petrol tank which would be maybe £70?

I ask, I offer to pay, I explain my needs & the demand from the car and tell them how much I used afterwards. Even when its been free, I tell them how much I used.

That way I never get a no without sound reasons like poor cabling!

Time on charge isn't the issue it's the kwh consumed. We take it for granted as we are used to EVs but a lot of the public know nothing about them. It's always best to tell them.
£12 may not sound much but if its 10-15% of their profit it is. If your pay packet was 15% short would you be OK with it?

Time on charge isn't the issue it's the kwh consumed. We take it for granted as we are used to EVs but a lot of the public know nothing about them. It's always best to tell them.
£12 may not sound much but if its 10-15% of their profit it is. If your pay packet was 15% short would you be OK with it?

Thats what I wondered.

I'm trying to work out how much it would cost in electricity to put 150 miles of range on, at a normal domestic tariff, and keep dropping stitches. £12? £15?

It's not high finance, but it could be the profit on the rental. I don't know how much these things generally cost, or the profit margin.

Although others said the profit would be a lot more than that. I don't know. It's obviously polite to ask, and to quote the probable cost of the electricity you want to use.

Imho from the cost perspective it's a grey area (i.e. if it was in winter, could you turn on your own oil heater for 12hours?).

I would be mostly concerned about the wiring as well, ie. I am using only granny charger and still I've rewired my whole garage because existing cables were not thick enough to sustain 13A.

I got told off by airbnb owner for granny charging my MG5, in Oxford. Anyone had this experience? Is there any policy on airbnb. Together with my OVO charge anytime tarriff at home, the whole trip cost me £3 for 300 miles!
I always ask and offer to pay extra. The offer seems to appease the owners and I have never been refused or charged.

Would a "reasonable person" do this without asking first? No. Until EVs become the norm, most hospitality places would consider ev charging "excessive use". I run an Airbnb. I advertise the fact I have a zappi for guests to use foc. I build the overhead into my pricing. Most Airbnbs would not, yet. Ask first next time.
For some small bnbs, £15 might be a sufnificant chunk of their nightly profit.

Would a "reasonable person" do this without asking first? No. Until EVs become the norm, most hospitality places would consider ev charging "excessive use". I run an Airbnb. I advertise the fact I have a zappi for guests to use foc. I build the overhead into my pricing. Most Airbnbs would not, yet. Ask first next time.
For some small bnbs, £15 might be a sufnificant chunk of their nightly profit.
All things equal I"d always pick a rental that had EV charging facilities either a dedicated chargepoint or allowed to use a granny on a safely wired plug. I'd always expect to pay. By actual use or built into the rate, either is fine. Its not saving money that I would be after. Its the convenience of being able to charge.

I'm trying to work out how much it would cost in electricity to put 150 miles of range on, at a normal domestic tariff, and keep dropping stitches. £12? £15?

It's not high finance, but it could be the profit on the rental. I don't know how much these things generally cost, or the profit margin.
On a 3kW granny charger you will get about 10 miles running. On 34p std rate that would be about £1. So 150 miles would take about 15 hours and cost about £15.

I got told off by airbnb owner for granny charging my MG5, in Oxford. Anyone had this experience? Is there any policy on airbnb. Together with my OVO charge anytime tarriff at home, the whole trip cost me £3 for 300 miles!
Air B&B owners seem to be paranoid letting EV‘s charge, it’s always best to ask. Can’t expect them to pay as par5 of your stay,, it’s like asking them for your petrol usage to get there.

On a 3kW granny charger you will get about 10 miles running. On 34p std rate that would be about £1. So 150 miles would take about 15 hours and cost about £15.
A granny EVSE in the UK should only pull about 2.2kW at 10A.
If you are using one at 13A you will need a new plug or socket by the morning😕

I always ask and leave a tenner, if they say yes. I think it's the decent thing to do, I'm also a landlord so can see it from the other side

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom