Alarm going off when charging MG5 LR

Wiggy25

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Picked up my used MG5 LR exclusive yesterday.
Wanted to test the charging using a Ohme charger.
Set the charger to only charge at cheap rate which I had set the time from 00:30 to 04:30
About 00:30 the alarm started going off, so pressed the unlock button.
After the 30secs everything locked and charging started again, about an hour later alarm started going off again.
This time went outside and unplugged the charger.
The car had been sat on the drive most of the day locked and all was OK.
Just seems to be when it's charging the lights will flash and horn will sound, which isn't great at 01:30 in the morning!

Anyone else had this issue or can offer advice would be great.

Cheers

Ian

Going to test that when I get home this evening.
Although, yes I guess the charger switching on at 00:30 last night could have triggered the alarm, which is still not acceptable.
However after unlocking the doors with the remote and allowing the car to auto lock with the charger still connected and charging I wouldn't expect it to set the alarm off again an hour later.
If this is the case then something is fundamentally wrong, as the alarm shouldn't be going off while the car is charging.

Will test later and post my findings.

Cheers

Ian

Dunno about the MG5 but ISTR on my old car the alarms sounded if you tried to remove the cable while the car was locked. Did you have it pushed in fully?

I use an Ohme lead on a similar basis (marginally different times, 02:30 - 06:30) and it works without issue - I get 4 hours charging and no alarms. The only exception is that the Ohme lead records a "slow charging" type message if it gets close to 100% but the car keeps charging. FWIW I find that the Type 2 lead needs a much firmer push to engage than my previous Type 1 lead in the LEAF but its hard to judge whether that's the car or the lead.

I have pushed the plug into the socket on the car as far as it will go.
Locked the doors then on the Ohme app, selected the charge and the car alarm went off as soon as the charger started up. So maybe a 5-10mins delay before charging started.
I unlocked the doors to stop the alarm, but didn't unplug or disconnect the charger.
the doors auto locked and the car is charging.
What's the latest software version and where can I find what's on my car?
I just want to check that all is up to date.

Cheers

Ian

I use an Ohme home pro with Go. I first select the charging schedule I want on the Ohme app - usually 40% charge 00:30 to 04:30 ,unlock car,open flap,plug in lead,lock car with remote. This method always works for me. Hope you get the alarm issue sorted,that's very odd and annoying I would imagine.

I have the old Ohme charger but it works, it worked fine on the Corsa-e I had.
I hope I get it sorted and yes it's really annoying, I can't charge at the cheap rate as I have no faith that the alarm won't start up in the early hours!
Just paused charging for about 5-10mins in the app, when I pressed the restart charge button, alarm started going.I
This car really doesn't like being "woken" up with The charger!
The method you describe is what I've been doing, but as soon as the charge starts the alarm goes off!

Bought the car from Cinch and they have passed it to the warranty provider they use a company called RAMP, who sent me an email this afternoon saying the car had been booked in at the Renault Dealer in Lincoln!!!!
They haven't spoken to me about dates or times just an email to say it's been booked in next Monday at 09:00am no courtesy car or anything.
What's really stupid is the MG dealer is next door to the Renault dealer!

It needs to go to an MG dealer so they can check for software updates, although the service guy at the dealer just kept saying it was the Ohme app setting off the alarm. I did try and explain the app only connects to the EVSE NOT the car! The alarm is going off when the EVSE starts supplying power to the car, once it's gone to sleep.
Then it was all about needing £75 for a diagnostic check, although if it was software that needed updating that could be claimed back from MG.
I thought these cars had a 7 year warranty?!

So an almost brand new car at over £26K and I'm actually thinking of telling Cinch to come and collect it for a full refund, which I can do within 14days.

Cheers

Ian

I'd be checking if they have an EV charging point at the dealer so you can show them.

Does it do it if you use the granny charger and switch it on 10 minutes after locking?

I'd be checking if they have an EV charging point at the dealer so you can show them.

Take your Ohme lead. The dealer will not like it as it is not supported equipment and uses the charging protocol differently to their instant plug and charge model.

Does it do it if you use the granny charger and switch it on 10 minutes after locking?

That is a slightly different test. The Ohme lead should keep the car awake following a brief period of charging when first connected and then keeping offering a charge to the car despite not actually providing any until the timed period. Turning on a granny charger begins the whole process of offering a charge and it is legitimate for the car to have gone to sleep first and hence be grumpy at being woken.

So an almost brand new car at over £26K and I'm actually thinking of telling Cinch to come and collect it for a full refund, which I can do within 14days.

Sadly it appears not fit for purpose, although annoyingly they will probably be able to flip it to another customer without fixing it as lots of owners don't seem to defer charging.

Thanks for the replies.
Take your Ohme lead. The dealer will not like it as it is not supported equipment and uses the charging protocol differently to their instant plug and charge model.

That is a slightly different test. The Ohme lead should keep the car awake following a brief period of charging when first connected and then keeping offering a charge to the car despite not actually providing any until the timed period. Turning on a granny charger begins the whole process of offering a charge and it is legitimate for the car to have gone to sleep first and hence be grumpy at being woken.

that's interesting.
The Ohme charger I have is what's classed as a mobile charger with the 32amp commando plug fitted.
I wonder if this is behaving like a granny charger and not actually keeping the car awake?

Bought the car from Cinch ... booked in at the Renault Dealer in Lincoln!!!! ...
What's really stupid is the MG dealer is next door to the Renault dealer!
... It needs to go to an MG dealer so they can check for software updates, ..
I thought these cars had a 7 year warranty?!
It does, take it to an MG dealer.

It looks like if I leave the car unlocked the scheduled charging works without setting off the alarm.
It does look more like it's a car issue and not a charger issue.
Trying to get in to see a dealer is hard work though!

Hi l have a Ohme charger lead set at 00.30to 04.30 with Octopus, but granny switched on, car unlocked locked, plug into mg5LR, lights go round continuously, it start charging 00.30 x 04.30 48p at moment

Hi l have a Ohme charger lead set at 00.30to 04.30 with Octopus, but granny switched on, car unlocked locked, plug into mg5LR, lights go round continuously, it start charging 00.30 x 04.30 48p at moment
So does your alarm go off if you leave the car locked?

No, no problem 👍

That's interesting!
So the Ohme charge cable is it the 13amp plug on the end as you've mentioned granny lead?
My Ohme charge cable is like a granny lead but with a 32amp commando plug and I set it up the exact same way as you.
The lights circling around on the charger indicate a scheduled charge, then one goes solid when the charging starts.

I have tried the granny lead that comes with the car, just by plugging it in locking the car then waiting 10mins before turning the power on, that also sets the alarm off.
I've read reports that others have done this using a timer to start the charge and it works OK.

Also tried with the Ohme charger on a scheduled charge and paused charge that also sets the alarm off.

Ohme are going to send me a 13amp charger for testing purposes. it's identical in functionality to all other Ohme chargers but with a lower charge rate.
It means I will be able to set a scheduled charge via the 13amp socket and see if that works.
May just be an issue with my charger, but using the supplied MG granny lead and it still doing the same thing seems odd as stated previously others have used this with a timer and it working.
If I plug in and charge straight away with either charger all OK.
If I leave the doors unlocked the alarm doesn't go off with delayed or scheduled charging.

Car is now with the dealer to see what the issue is, will report back any findings as it may help others.
Just hope it doesn't require spare parts as that could be a lengthy wait!

That's interesting!
So the Ohme charge cable is it the 13amp plug on the end as you've mentioned granny lead?
My Ohme charge cable is like a granny lead but with a 32amp commando plug and I set it up the exact same way as you.
The lights circling around on the charger indicate a scheduled charge, then one goes solid when the charging starts.

I have tried the granny lead that comes with the car, just by plugging it in locking the car then waiting 10mins before turning the power on, that also sets the alarm off.
I've read reports that others have done this using a timer to start the charge and it works OK.

Also tried with the Ohme charger on a scheduled charge and paused charge that also sets the alarm off.

Ohme are going to send me a 13amp charger for testing purposes. it's identical in functionality to all other Ohme chargers but with a lower charge rate.
It means I will be able to set a scheduled charge via the 13amp socket and see if that works.
May just be an issue with my charger, but using the supplied MG granny lead and it still doing the same thing seems odd as stated previously others have used this with a timer and it working.
If I plug in and charge straight away with either charger all OK.
If I leave the doors unlocked the alarm doesn't go off with delayed or scheduled charging.

Car is now with the dealer to see what the issue is, will report back any findings as it may help others.
Just hope it doesn't require spare parts as that could be a lengthy wait!
Hi Wiggy, my cable is live when l plug into car, then after few seconds, l hear the car except it, then lock it up.

Yes, that's what mine does but when on a charge schedule to come on at 12:30 on the LCD display it shows the charge amps ramp up to max 30amps then drop down to zero. The lights on the front of the Ohme circle around showing its on a schedule.
It stays at zero amps until the scheduled start time at which point the lights stop circling around and one of them stays on permanently to show it's charging, at which point you can hear the relays click to pull in.
Then the car alarm goes off, if the doors are locked.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom