Alarm!

TatTay65

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
New owner of an MG 5 and I’m quite impressed however I’m having to leave a door slightly open whilst charging to avoid auto lock and the alarm going off. I’m using a 7.2kW home charger recently installed by a qualified electrician so I’m assuming it’s something I’m doing wrong or there’s a fault with the car. Your help is appreciated

If you want to leave it unlocked then open and close the door again.
I'm assuming you are charging it in your garage if you want to leave it unlocked whilst charging?

Can you detail the process you are following to charge your car?

Initially the car was unlocked before I connected the charger. The charging began, the doors auto locked and then the alarm goes off - suspending the charging. This happened several times before I resorted to leaving the drivers door ajar

Charging shouldn't cause the doors to auto lock. It does sound as if something is not working correctly.

Tried a variety of other chargers - public and the granny charger. Have had issues with the alarm going off on all charger types

Try this.
First ensure that the tail gate is 100% fully closed and not just latched on the first catch.
Leave the car and go straight to you charging port.
Open the charge flap and plug 🔌 in the charging cable straight away, as soon as you have inserted the plug, lock the car with fob !.
It should lock the doors and lock in the charging cable.
Slight pause as the car communicate with the wall box and then the wall should commence the charge.
If the alarm goes off now, it’s a trip to the dealers I am afraid.

Last edited:
As above, the only time it will autolock on it's own whilst stationary is when you unlock the car but do not open any doors.
I charge my car in exactly the way that you have described you do, only difference being that I am plugging in before a scheduled overnight charge, so charging does not commence immediately.
I.E. Unlock car, open charge port plug in. In the meantime car has autolocked due to no doors being opened. There obviously should be no alarm, it would be a very noisy world if all alarms went off when charging.
As mentioned ensure there are no other reasons why alarm might go off. Try opening a door before plugging in, then close and lock manually after, if not already done.
Something is amiss either in operation or technically.

As above, the only time it will autolock on it's own whilst stationary is when you unlock the car but do not open any doors.
Bang on !.
If I unlock my car with the fob and do NOT want it to auto lock again, I will open the drivers door slightly and leave it latched on the first catch only.
This will prevent it from auto locking.
But if you try locking the car with fob, the car may reject the command to lock or even sound the horn, because the door is not correctly closed.
Is this what you are witnessing I wonder ?.
That is why I suggested that you ensure 100% that all doors are closed and the tail gate is fully closed on BOTH catches, not just the first catch !.
The bonnet will react in the same way I believe, but you would see that open.

I’m only leaving the driver’s door on first latch to stop the auto lock - it’s the auto lock that appears to be triggering the alarm

Another forum member had this and the vehicle had been fitted with a telemetrics box, seemingly as a cancelled fleet order.

It was plugged into the odbii port and as soon as they pulled it out the car would charge fine. Returned to dealer to remove the offending box and question the dealers PDI.

I’m only leaving the driver’s door on first latch to stop the auto lock - it’s the auto lock that appears to be triggering the alarm
Opening and closing a door/any door will stop autolock, no need to leave it ajar.

Any update about this?, if I was a cat I would have been dead so long ago.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom