Almost decision time... and decision made!!!

The A4 I drive which is the 2020 model, has had two different recalls on it since launch. This is (I think) the third iteration of a platform which has remained largely unchanged aside from exterior upgrades for the best part of a decade.

That’s not just a bulging undertray or a bit of oil dripping, but two proper recalls on an ICE car which retails for £6k more than the most expensive MG4.

It really does happen to all brands when they launch new vehicles.

The comments about a forum not being a good measure of how prevalent issues with cars are is spot on.

In many of these cases though, many forum members were on here BEFORE they got their MG4, so it's not so much a case of joining just to report problems. And forums can indicate a much larger issue- if lots of forum members repeat a common issue, it's probably a lot more widespread. Is it really just forum members who got the under tray bulge? If all non forum MG4 owners went out and looked under their car, are they really all as dry as the desert? That person out their now banging on the windows in a panic as her MG4 likes her so much it's kidnapped her, locking her in won't let her out of her car, is she on the forum? Meaning that just as those non-members don't join to go "I drove my car today and it was all good", they also generally don't join to say they've problems either. People don't generally join forums period.
Yep I joined this forum before I ordered my MG4, because it was part of my research and due diligence.

The A4 I drive which is the 2020 model, has had two different recalls on it since launch. This is (I think) the third iteration of a platform which has remained largely unchanged aside from exterior upgrades for the best part of a decade.

That’s not just a bulging undertray or a bit of oil dripping, but two proper recalls on an ICE car which retails for £6k more than the most expensive MG4.

It really does happen to all brands when they launch new vehicles.

The comments about a forum not being a good measure of how prevalent issues with cars are is spot on.
The big difference in what you are saying is that they have done recalls, MG don't seem to want to, despite the same issue showing up in the UK, Germany and France. Rather than adapt every car, prior to delivery, and avoiding the issue they are just leaving it to the customer to spot it, nobody knows what the long term effects of " a bit of oil dripping" going undetected are but it certainly can't be positive.
MG know this is happening and there in is the difference, it needs all cars already on the road to be recalled and get the modification and all new cars get it fitted prior to being handed over to customers

The big difference in what you are saying is that they have done recalls, MG don't seem to want to, despite the same issue showing up in the UK, Germany and France. Rather than adapt every car, prior to delivery, and avoiding the issue they are just leaving it to the customer to spot it, nobody knows what the long term effects of " a bit of oil dripping" going undetected are but it certainly can't be positive.
MG know this is happening and there in is the difference, it needs all cars already on the road to be recalled and get the modification and all new cars get it fitted prior to being handed over to customers
Most recalls take quite a while to happen as it is a big deal for the manufacturer. Don’t forget we are still in the early days with the MG4.

Don’t think your post is fair really.

Car manufacturers don’t do a recall out of the goodness of their hearts.

The two recalls/fixes for my car were related to the mild hybrid battery wiring (it could set on fire) and the suspension (it could fail completely).

Recalls are generally undertaken when the level of risk is deemed such that X number of cars could experience the issue and cause a serious issue.

You should also bear in mind that the number of MG4s actually sold worldwide is a tiny fraction of the total EV market, never mind the total car market. That’s what I’m talking about with forums like this, it’s a bubble.

This is a good read for appreciating the scale of the MG4 issues on here versus proper recall problems.

Toyota recalled 9 million vehicles in 2 years. MG registered 30,000 vehicles in the UK in 2021….

I get that, but MG customer service has at the very least shown themselves to be inept and their stock answer seems to put all the responsibility on the dealers which isn't fair on them.
MG need to step up and actually start providing some customer service, they are a joke and firmly have their heads stuck in the sand

Yes, they can be worse than forums suggest
They probably are in terms of numbers, but I joined this forum to mainly do research before i commited to ordering the car. As it was a new platform and a new car I would expect there to be problems and bugs, the question I had to answer was: Is there anything which I would consider major and wouldn't or couldn't be fixed relatively quickly and I havn't seen anything that, for me at least, was a no go, so, as you can see I went ahead and ordered my MG4. Of course as part of my decision was the fact that i will not be getting my car until sometime next Year, so these problems I have reasoned will probable been fixed before I get mine. 🤞:ROFLMAO:

I get that, but MG customer service has at the very least shown themselves to be inept and their stock answer seems to put all the responsibility on the dealers which isn't fair on them.
MG need to step up and actually start providing some customer service, they are a joke and firmly have their heads stuck in the sand

You can read exactly the above post with “MG” swapped for “Volkswagen” or “Ford” etc on many other car forums over the years.

Ford literally released an EV this year which had to be recalled because the entire windshield could fly off ! £50k RRP…

And MG have released a car described on last night's podcast as having a LKA that trys to kill you and was jokingly referred to as Christine, that and the fact that there are a few examples of cars locking their occupants within, with no way of getting out

And MG have released a car described on last night's podcast as having a LKA that trys to kill you and was jokingly referred to as Christine, that and the fact that there are a few examples of cars locking their occupants within, with no way of getting out
The locking in is the one thing I have seen so far that would qualify for a safety recall - but we are in the infancy of MG getting reports and diagnosing it, so likely long wait for that.

Recalls are a lesser of evils. At least it's straightforward then- your car got X issue and you need to being it in to get it rectified. The thing which irritates many an owner is the issue which the dealer 'haven't heard of before', 'first they've come across', 'can't replicate it on testing', 'they're all like that' types.

You seem quite vehement in arguing that the issues are a concern, as you’ve not got the car yet surely you would be best swerving and saving yourself the stress ?

Likely a long wait for quite a few things

Interesting Toyota tops the lists for recalls but customers actually like that, it means their cars feel safe and they feel looked after.
Well surprise, surprise customers actually like when I manufacturer admits to an error and shows they are going to fix it. I would have never guessed that, It does seem that MG havn't twigged that yet :D

That Christine analogy is quite funny actually :)
Maybe the locking in thing is Christine trying to kidnap the owner?

You seem quite vehement in arguing that the issues are a concern, as you’ve not got the car yet surely you would be best swerving and saving yourself the stress ?
I think I'm entitled to be concerned if I'm going to shell out my money on it. and if you read some of my other posts ive said I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if the software issues get fixed or I will cancel and get something else. I have zero stress with this what so ever, I do however get to voice my concerns

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back