Already broken

I suspect part of the issue is that people use it as a leverage point whilst getting into/out of or comfortable in the car and so put quite a lot of force onto it ... so more than merely "resting" their foot on it. 🤷‍♂️

Could be that the bolts on some cars are overtightened, and putting additional stress into the foot rest, then when coupled with someone using it as a leverage point, it puts too much stress on the part and it fails.

Having seen the design, it would be great to design a modified/lower version for better comfort. I'm not tall, but I find the foot rest uncomfortable on long journeys. I want to stretch my leg out further, but can't.

Could be that the bolts on some cars are overtightened, and putting additional stress into the foot rest, then when coupled with someone using it as a leverage point, it puts too much stress on the part and it fails.

Having seen the design, it would be great to design a modified/lower version for better comfort. I'm not tall, but I find the foot rest uncomfortable on long journeys. I want to stretch my leg out further, but can't.
Totally agree with you. The only advantage is now that I can stretch my leg on a long journey that I couldn’t do before. Compared to German cars the footrest is certainly higher on the MG and I’m going to look into maybe a more lower version of it. I think I’ve seen someone else who has adapted theirs by using the base plate as a template and added a piece of wood as a foot rest but obviously something a bit better looking than just a piece of wood.
Hopefully, someone else on this forum has experienced this problem and come up with a solution for a so call lower footrest.

Are you still talking about the foot rest? 🤣
Animated GIF

Unfortunately the left footrest (dead pedal) just fell apart. It’s pretty cheap plastic. Will see if I can make a warranty claim for a new one, though I doubt there will be stock for some time.
Mine has just broken, been just over a year.

Agree - I think there have been 3 people report a broken foot rest.

I suspect part of the issue is that people use it as a leverage point whilst getting into/out of or comfortable in the car and so put quite a lot of force onto it ... so more than merely "resting" their foot on it. 🤷‍♂️

That said, it should really be able to cope with that.
I've been to several advanced driving courses and you are supposed to put a lot of force through it, you're supposed to use it to brace your whole body, it's not just a 'rest', so it needs to be able to stand up to force.

Mine has just broken, been just over a year.

I've been to several advanced driving courses and you are supposed to put a lot of force through it, you're supposed to use it to brace your whole body, it's not just a 'rest', so it needs to be able to stand up to force.
It will be interesting to see what your local MG dealership says about it. I've been waiting over a month now and as yet still not heard anything back from them. (Apart from the usual 'That is very strange as we haven't heard that happening to anyone else.')
It started with a squeaking noise on the very first day I picked up the car but I thought nothing of it at the time, but I think this squeaking noise must have been where the factory might have over-tightened one of the bolts and this in turn started to create a weak link on the plastic every time I started to use the foot rest upon entering the car.

We should all start to gather our broken foot rests up and send them off in batch loads to MG all at the same time and wait for their comments back about it just being a so-called 'one off'. :giggle:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back