Amazon Music - worked for months, now not!

Astroharmsy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I was really pleased in early July when I set up Amazon Music (using our standard Prime account). We used it all summer without any problems, apart from when in deepest Somerset there was no mobile signal for a few minutes.

Now (and others have reported this on FB) the original ‘free trial’ pop-up (that I’ve always closed) is replaced by an apparent request to see if we’d like to upgrade to ‘unlimited’. Choosing no takes you back and you can’t play anything. Choosing yes takes you to a website to upgrade.

Anyone have any thoughts? Did I miss the memo?

I've just tried it and got the same problem, it was definitely fine last week. Whatever track I try it wont play. I've just logged in on my PC and it works fine there. Maybe its an Amazon problem, try again later? I'm not sure who you report the problem to though, cant imagine your dealer would know what to do with it!

Amazon music has been ruined in the last few weeks unless you pay £10 a month. I used to ask it to 'play the beatles' or 'play swan lake' or 'play oklahoma' etc. And it played, including via Alexa at home.

Now instead of doing as requested it says "playing the Beatles and similar artists" etc to all requests. And plays random other tracks. Oklahoma has South Pacific tracks played.

It's all to get people to pay £120 a year to have control of their music. It's appalling.

Amazon music has been ruined in the last few weeks unless you pay £10 a month. I used to ask it to 'play the beatles' or 'play swan lake' or 'play oklahoma' etc. And it played, including via Alexa at home.

Now instead of doing as requested it says "playing the Beatles and similar artists" etc to all requests. And plays random other tracks. Oklahoma has South Pacific tracks played.

It's all to get people to pay £120 a year to have control of their music. It's appalling.
What you get with the MG is Amazon music free, a limited service.
The three tiers are set out below.

What you get with the MG is Amazon music free, a limited service.
The three tiers are set out below.

that might the case by default (I cant remember what happened when I first used it now), but if you have prime and have logged in with your amazon account you should get prime level? You must get prime level as I've never had ads, time limits etc in the car.

Just adding here that our MG phase 2 had access to Amazon Music when we purchased it a month ago. We assumed it came with its own MG account, but the interface really does tell you nothing, so that's just a guess.

We could also log in and out of our own Amazon Prime accounts to play music.

As of this week, trying to play any track on either the car account or our own paid Prime subscriptions just prompts you to pay for amazon unlimited.

Hoping it's just a bug on Amazon's side as it was nice and easier than Bluetooth-streaming Spotify.

Just adding here that our MG phase 2 had access to Amazon Music when we purchased it a month ago. We assumed it came with its own MG account, but the interface really does tell you nothing, so that's just a guess.

We could also log in and out of our own Amazon Prime accounts to play music.

As of this week, trying to play any track on either the car account or our own paid Prime subscriptions just prompts you to pay for amazon unlimited.

Hoping it's just a bug on Amazon's side as it was nice and easier than Bluetooth-streaming Spotify.
Looks to me like "Unlimited" is a new tier above "Prime" for an extra £10/mo.

Unlimited has been about for quite some time and gives you access to everything and without ads or random selections. The Prime-only level doesn't have ads but may give you random tracks from a play list.

We were gifted an Unlimited sub last Christmas (which we use regularly in the house - Mrs. Guru uses the Echo Dots a lot) because of the random tracks issue - Prime Music never used to do that but they then added restrictions which impacted how Mrs. Guru used it.

I had nothing showing in my amazon account music devices, I've no idea if the car was listed there before? The car player might just be treated as a web browser which doesn't need authorisation as you cant download tracks.

I installed amazon music app on my phone and that does now show up as authorised in my account, and works fine on Android Auto - so there's an option.

Prime music works in a web browser. I wondered if something changed regarding location checking as when you login on the car the browser page thinks you are in Sweden, but I tried a swedish vpn location on my phone and that still works. So no idea whats changed :D

Go to Amazon/account and lists/your music subscriptions and see what devices are Authorised
How do you know which device on the list is the car ?
I set mine up a while ago and it worked fine, it's now not working and prompting me to pay. :(
I have Amazon Prime.

ITS RUBBISH .... I'm an Amazon Prime member - As it was it had very limited Music selection of Albums against an artist..

My two pence ... You should be able to 'sign into ANY' streaming service and stream your music from your account ... Why should it be 'locked' to Amazon - Its An Open Source Android Tablet behind the MG front..

Apple Play - When it works / BT when it Works or SILENCE as the Audio option has decided to go Absence without cause... Roll on my Dealership 'checking these issues' and 'Hopefully MG UK say OK to R46 against my specific car'

Go to Amazon/account and lists/your music subscriptions and see what devices are Authorised
Ah, right. Just done that. The car isn’t authorised, but then it wasn’t 2 months ago, and it worked for 2 months. Wondering how I add it as ‘authorised’? We just logged in on the MG and it worked immediately - it was amazing.

I actually selected to join unlimited and joined up, I still got the same prompt asking me to join when I selected a track
😡

I had tried this track on my PC and on my Android phone before joining up and it played ok. I also tried it on my Android tablet and it played. I asked Alexa to play it and it worked. So it works everywhere without music unlimited except in the car's online music app/tab.
I paired my phone with the car and after it connected the track I was trying to play suddenly popped up on the screen and started playing on the BT music tab, (which I had not selected) my phone screen was displaying Amazon music playing through Waze via bluetooth ??? I had not opened neither Waze or Amazon music. I've now cancelled my newly signed up unlimited subscription because it doesn't work as it should in the car on the online music tab. Upon cancellation it says I still have access to 30 days free so now I can't try anything else yet to make it work without unlimited until it runs out. The next thing I was going to try was to connect my phone via Android auto and see if I can get waze to play my songs from Amazon prime music, but I'll have to wait until the Unlimited free trial runs out to make sure it's working through prime and not through unlimited. I'm going for a lie down now.🤭

The next thing I was going to try was to connect my phone via Android auto and see if I can get waze to play my songs from Amazon prime music, but I'll have to wait until the Unlimited free trial runs out to make sure it's working through prime and not through unlimited. I'm going for a lie down now.🤭

Amazon music android app is android auto compatible - you should be able to use that from the car screen

ok, so just had an online chat with amazon and their unfortunate response was...

Am: David, as per the latest change, in order to play music from AMazon Music, you need a subscription for music unlimited
Earlier, Prime members were able to stream music without the subscription. However, now, an unlimited subscription is needed to stream music.

Me: but I can stream music on my phone app, and in a web browser with my prime subscription?

Am: That's prime music which lets you stream music in shuffle manner.
I am sorry but as per the new update, that's how it now works

Why the car cant just do shuffle I dont know, but seems like it was this change that has broken it. Quite why it doesn't work if you do sign up to unlimited is another matter I didn't go into as I haven't got that sub. Maybe MG need to do something with the app to make it work with the new modes.

I'm sure when I tried this last week things were working normally on my phone app, but that has gone to shuffle only mode now :(

ok, so just had an online chat with amazon and their unfortunate response was...

Am: David, as per the latest change, in order to play music from AMazon Music, you need a subscription for music unlimited
Earlier, Prime members were able to stream music without the subscription. However, now, an unlimited subscription is needed to stream music.

Me: but I can stream music on my phone app, and in a web browser with my prime subscription?

Am: That's prime music which lets you stream music in shuffle manner.
I am sorry but as per the new update, that's how it now works

Why the car cant just do shuffle I dont know, but seems like it was this change that has broken it. Quite why it doesn't work if you do sign up to unlimited is another matter I didn't go into as I haven't got that sub. Maybe MG need to do something with the app to make it work with the new modes.

I'm sure when I tried this last week things were working normally on my phone app, but that has gone to shuffle only mode now :(
You would have thought Mr Bezos could forgo buying another new yacht ⛵ for a year and let Prime members have unlimited music access.

What is the point in including an amazon app if it now doesn't work without having to pay amazon money? You could just stream over bluetooth or USB from the amazon app on the phone which has more functionality AND lets you play any album you've bought on physical media from amazon. I assumed MG would have done some deal with amazon where you get at least a year free but that turns out not to be.

Quite why it doesn't work if you do sign up to unlimited is another matter I didn't go into as I haven't got that sub.
I was wondering the same. It looks like the app is broken to me, maybe it doesn't update on the car as a stand alone app.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back