Amazon Music - worked for months, now not!

I was wondering the same. It looks like the app is broken to me, maybe it doesn't update on the car as a stand alone app.
It's working now.
I assume its' because I'm still on the Amazon Music Unlimited 30 day free trial and I've shut down and restarted the car since I last tried it.
If it stops working when my free trial runs out, I'll just use Waze, if it still works without the unlimited subscription, as it's available on there or play my tunes via BT music instead, as Prime music worked on my phone before I signed up for the unlimited trial.

Hi,
have you some news about this problem? @Astroharmsy
Currently, it's not working anymore. App is asking "unlimited account" for everything.
Moreover, I think that app is not linked well with my own amazon account because it's displaying music which not appear on my phone. App is localizing me in Sweden... But it's not the case
have you found any solution?

Somebody knows if somewhere is there a changelog or a bug report platfrom to inform MG or follow problem resolution?

@DebbieS1234 it seems a common problem to MG vehicles.

PS: Amazon community thread

Last edited:
It's just got worse for me, the app has now just crashed and I can't even try and sign in/out.
Works fine over android auto but Spotify is better anyway if you don't mind the occasional add.

I've found that not all tracks are available to play even though they are listed, guess cos I've just bog standard prime. I get "Service Unavailable" message when I try. But I'd rather have this than nothing, course I normally use YouTube Music via Android Auto.

I signed up for the 30 day free trial of unlimited and cancelled the subscription an hour later and the confirmation email for signing up says I've got 90 days. I don't know if that's because I'm a prime member or not.

I have prime but have never really liked amazon music and I'm certainly not going to stump up extra . I do have the music app on my phone and it appears on my aa screen I don't really use it tho.
I download what music i like to my phone and use the VLC player ( available on the play store)
I use google podcasts as well which is easy to use and I also like bbc sounds .
All the icons appear on the aa screen ad i find it really easy to navigate around

I bought unlimited prime because I wanted to see how well it worked in the car, Trophy claims to support 3D audio with it as well.
Didn't hear any noticeable change in audio. The common 'service not available' message did stop at least.

But the real problem with the in-build amazon audio app is in track and playlist navigation.
You cant access your own playlists. When listening to tracks it only seems to load in 4 tracks from whatever playlist you are using. When you skip 3/4 times it'll loop back to the start. Only giving you those 4 tracks until you listen to them. I think it might be a way to keep the data usage down.
But that makes it pretty much useless. If you could access your own playlists then you wouldn't need to skip, but restricted to public playlists and artist radios then you're bound to want to skip songs.

In short; don't bother.

Has anyone seen this before? Logged into Amazon (I have amazon prime) on the headunit - and tried to click a station included with amazon prime.
This box appears saying "expired music", and the buttons have nothing in them, you cant click on them, and then they stay until the car or headunit is reset. This happens on anything I click on and it locks up the application.

Attachments

• PXL_20231127_132852015.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231127_132852015.MP.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 41
I've added this post to the existing thread on the issue, hopefully there are some solutions (or at least explanations!) in the discussion above.

Has anyone seen this before? Logged into Amazon (I have amazon prime) on the headunit - and tried to click a station included with amazon prime.
This box appears saying "expired music", and the buttons have nothing in them, you cant click on them, and then they stay until the car or headunit is reset. This happens on anything I click on and it locks up the application.
Amazon Prime music only worked for a couple of months on mine, Amazon unlimited works but not worth £10.99 a month IMO. I have the Unlimited free trial running ATM but it will be cancelled when it runs out.

I just had that same issue when logging into my prime music and trying to play anything too. Did you find a solution, or is this just because I'm not paying the extra for unlimited music (prime music only)? Assumed it wouldn't let you get that far even if that was issues but the 2 blank boxes you can't click are just annoying. Hope it resets when next start the car..

Has anyone managed to get their Amazon Music player to work on their Trophy? I have signed in to my Amazon account but whenever I try to play a song it asked me to sign-up to Amazon Music unlimited, which is a subscribed service. I am willing to put up with advertising which is what Amazon Music required but it doesn't seem to work in the car.

Has anyone managed to get their Amazon Music player to work on their Trophy? I have signed in to my Amazon account but whenever I try to play a song it asked me to sign-up to Amazon Music unlimited, which is a subscribed service. I am willing to put up with advertising which is what Amazon Music required but it doesn't seem to work in the car.
Hi same experience. Played around with it when my car arrived in December (xpower) Wife has Amazon prime. Meanwhile apple carplay only works with a cable (Ali express wireless carplay dongle in transit) but I did discover that once the phone is paired by Bluetooth if you select the BT MUSIC tab it plays all/any music stored on your mobile including apple music playlists? You have to choose the playlist on the music tab that appears on the phone but it works. Only downside is the car asks me to “pair device” every time I get in my car 😡

It did work last year until Amazon changed the service so you can only get random play on Prime now. I think the unlimited service might work but like you I'm not willing to pay for that, I have spotify and that is fine with Android Auto.

I got a Carlinkit wireless setup on my Trophy and it works ok. Still can't get Amazon Music to work under Android Auto when connected but if I play they playlist on my phone then it plays through to the car ok provided I selected BT player as a source. Not a great solution though since I have to control it directly from my phone.

I've linked to my Amazon Music Unlimited account under the Online Music tab and it works without a problem. I can access the entire Amazon library, no delays, no ads. But - it doesn't bring over my playlists so it's just not that useful.

I tend to use my Amazon Music app via Android Auto which also works fine and is fully featured.

Last edited:
I signed up for the unlimited free trial and it worked with that but the app is pretty useless so I cancelled it when the trial period was up.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back