Android Auto Assistant Not Working....but only when in motion..........

Has anybody else had this issue?
I can't for the life of me work out why this is happening.
Is it a setting somewhere that I need to change?
Any suggestions gratefully received....

Android Auto, (MG4 LR Trophy).
I have a new 3.1 lead and this connects 100% ok. And all the features on android Auto work absolutely fine......
HOWEVER! When stationery the Google assistant works perfectly, (using the mic icon on the screen or the button on the steering wheel) but when in motion the Google assistant does not work, (again using the mic icon on the screen or the button on the steering wheel) it activates the Google assistant, so the box pops up on the screen but the coloured dots stay as dots as if the Google assistant is not listening and then after a second or two Google assistant turns off/deactivates and the Google assistant box drops down off of the screen. Has anybody else experienced this?? If so, any suggestions on a fix.....?
Many thanks.
I have the same issue on the same model

Fix for this is to turn off the 'Hello MG' setting in Settings / Voice on the head unit. Then when long pressing the voice assistant button or pressing the mic icon it will activate Google assistant and accept voice commands when moving. Not an issue for the SE variant as that doesn't have voice commands built into the car, so nothing to conflict with Android Auto. You can still use the built in voice commands, but have to activate by quickly pressing the voice assistant button rather than saying 'hello mg'
UPDATE: This did fix the issue after all, turns out my car need to sleep on the change, when I tested it this morning it worked. Thank you!

Last edited:
1. Open Google Maps (on your phone), select settings - Navigation Settings - Disable Play voice over Bluetooth
2. Turn off Bluetooth on the car
3. Turn off 'Hello MG' in the car settings

This allows navigation voice through the car speakers, plus holding down the 'Voice' button (2 seconds) on the steering wheel will bring up Google Assistant so you can speak a command.
Did all that. Do you then turn bluetooth back on in the car? Thanks

Did all that. Do you then turn bluetooth back on in the car? Thanks
As per the contributor above (bfayers), I just turned off "Hello MG" locked the car up for the night and when I opened the car up and sat in it was working. I never turned BlueTooth off so I assume if it is all working for you turn BlueTooth back on.

Has anybody else had this issue?
I can't for the life of me work out why this is happening.
Is it a setting somewhere that I need to change?
Any suggestions gratefully received....

Android Auto, (MG4 LR Trophy).
I have a new 3.1 lead and this connects 100% ok. And all the features on android Auto work absolutely fine......
HOWEVER! When stationery the Google assistant works perfectly, (using the mic icon on the screen or the button on the steering wheel) but when in motion the Google assistant does not work, (again using the mic icon on the screen or the button on the steering wheel) it activates the Google assistant, so the box pops up on the screen but the coloured dots stay as dots as if the Google assistant is not listening and then after a second or two Google assistant turns off/deactivates and the Google assistant box drops down off of the screen. Has anybody else experienced this?? If so, any suggestions on a fix.....?
Many thanks.
Yes, I have the same problem, but makes no difference if I am moving or not. Sometimes it behaves and other times the assistant pops up but won't go to listening mode and disappears a second after it pops up, without giving me a chance to speak. Because it is random, I have no idea how to fix this.

Swipe the main screen to the left, go into setting sand turn off "Hello MG". It will not fix it immediately as the car need to completely turn itself off, but next time you use the car it should be working. This method resolved the issue for me and it hasn't come back. Another useful tip, if you find that the the Android Auto screen is stuck in day light mode at night, toggle the automatic lights switch on the stalk off then on, it will force everything to re poll the light sensor and will set Android Auto in to night time mode.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back