Android auto black screen

keepclimbing

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I've had a recurring issue where maybe 10% of the time that I drive my MG4 SE. After plugging in my Android phone it connects the sound and says android auto as the source. However when I press the Android auto button it just shows a black screen. After a minute or so the sound will disconnect from my phone. Unplug / replug the phone and the sound will reconnect with no change to the screen. Leaving and coming back to the car generally resolves it, so I assume an infotainment reboot fixes it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Which software version does your car have? (I used to occasionally get that, but mine has been rock solid since I got 1100R33 infotainment software, plus other updates).

Yeah - that's what mine was. Since the latest updates (including 1100R33) the interface has been transformed - much better and more stable, including Android Auto. Plus I now have Regen and Drive Mode mapped to the Star buttons. :)

This happened to me sometimes due to a bad cable / bad connection, I am on R33 version.

This happened to me sometimes due to a bad cable / bad connection, I am on R33 version.
Your R33 is the Trophy/Luxury R33. Very different to the SE R33. But yes - cable can make a difference.

I have something similar with Apple Car Play. When I indicate at low speeds the 360 camera comes on over the Apple Carplay screen and then when returning to AppleCarPlay I get a black screen. I have to press the Home buttom to return to the main menu and then try AppleCarPlay again. Usually it returns as normal so far 🤞

I'll try a third cable. Happens on both mine and my wife's phone. Dealer I bought from no longer an mg dealer so thinking if I had to get it updated I'd have to pay for it.

It never fixes while on the same drive for me.

This sounds like the bleeding obvious, but my black screen problem stopped when I unlocked the (android, Samsung) phone and opened Google maps BEFORE plugging in the usb lead.

I have only just discovered that I can select my destination on the phone while still in the house, select "drive", and the thing will tell me the currently estimated driving time and keep updating it. Then when I get into the car and plug the phone in, it just takes over.

I had this issue all the time, then noticed this issue happens when a camera is active. Make sure that when Android Auto starts, there is no camera active (such as Indicators or Back Camera when reversing).

If the infotainment is on the idle state, Android Auto should start fine. I usually wait for android auto to start up before starting to back up my car, this solves the issue 99% of the time in my case.

Trophy on r26

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel