Android Auto - no voice guidance from Google Maps on top of DAB / FM radio

DevonMG4

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
When the audio source is RADIO AND AA is active AND I'm using Google maps for navigation AND G/Maps is UNMUTED AND the VOICE GUIDANCE volume is set to max, I don't hear any directions played over the top of the radio. When Google would be speaking the radio volume noticeably dips but there is no voice guidance. This is probably not an MG issue, I know AA in other vehicles WILL play guidance over the top of radio and I'm poking arround elsewhere on tinternet but not found a solution yet.

Does anyone currently enjoy AA/GM voice guidance on top of FM / DAB in their MG4? (Excluding CarPlay)

I have the same. You can however get voice guidance from Waze/Google Maps by listening to your radio station via an app (eg absolute radio app) so that all audio goes through android auto too.

Don't know if that's how MG4/Android auto is meant to work, but it's a way to get around this issue...

When the audio source is RADIO AND AA is active AND I'm using Google maps for navigation AND G/Maps is UNMUTED AND the VOICE GUIDANCE volume is set to max, I don't hear any directions played over the top of the radio. When Google would be speaking the radio volume noticeably dips but there is no voice guidance. This is probably not an MG issue, I know AA in other vehicles WILL play guidance over the top of radio and I'm poking arround elsewhere on tinternet but not found a solution yet.

Does anyone currently enjoy AA/GM voice guidance on top of FM / DAB in their MG4? (Excluding CarPlay)
Only seems to play the maps audio when you have Bluetooth music playing

I have the same. You can however get voice guidance from Waze/Google Maps by listening to your radio station via an app (eg absolute radio app) so that all audio goes through android auto too.

Don't know if that's how MG4/Android auto is meant to work, but it's a way to get around this issue...
Indeed I could listen to only Internet radio, as long as it had a good AA interface.

But I suppose it brings up a secondary question, the audio source seems to default to RADIO, so laziness sees me sometimes leave it on Radio and I get absorbed in something...

So there is a sub question - has anyone found a default for the power up audio source to NOT radio?

So there is a sub question - has anyone found a default for the power up audio source to NOT radio?
I've found if you stream music from a USB stick in the USBC port then next time you turn the car on it starts streaming from the USB stick again, even the same song.

Maybe I'm stupid, but I've always muted the voice guidance anyway and simply glance at the screen to determine the next route change. 🤷‍♂️ (Done this for years, not just since I got the MG4).

Maybe I'm stupid, but I've always muted the voice guidance anyway and simply glance at the screen to determine the next route change. 🤷‍♂️ (Done this for years, not just since I got the MG4).
Absolutely, but I've found to my cost I need to turn it on in the last mile for fear of missing a turning whilst chatting

I do the same. By the time the voice has said turn right in 150 yards it might be only 50 yards depending on your speed which is more confusing with multiple junctions.

Thanks for starting the thread, lets hope somebody finds a solution, my original observation:

I still haven’t resolved on AA is that guidance audio doesn’t come through when on DAB or FM, Audio dips but nothing is heard. Guidance audio does come through when streaming or listening to audio from memory stick on the usbC port, so I dont think it is a phone problem. might be an MG software issue of how it mixes the different audio feeds together. Car is an SE.

Thanks for starting the thread, lets hope somebody finds a solution, my original observation:

I still haven’t resolved on AA is that guidance audio doesn’t come through when on DAB or FM, Audio dips but nothing is heard. Guidance audio does come through when streaming or listening to audio from memory stick on the usbC port, so I dont think it is a phone problem. might be an MG software issue of how it mixes the different audio feeds together. Car is an SE.
Or download TuneIn radio and listen to radio via internet 🤷🏻‍♂️

At the risk of a long ramble - you may only want to read this if you are having trouble sleeping -

it was @digitaldai 's post on a different AA question that prompted me to start this thread, so I'm glad I'm not alone in seeking a solution. In no particular order:

If I were to
Or download TuneIn radio and listen to radio via internet 🤷🏻‍♂️
use Tunein Radio app, then it's still the FM/DAB Radio that is the default audio source that the car wakes up with, so before I do anything I'm probably sucked into something I might want to listen to and there we are, no voice guidance. If the car started with AA as the audio source, then maybe I'd feel more inclined toward using a radio app and my initial problem wouldn't exist as AA would be handling all the audio and I'd hear Voice Guidance if enabled. Besides, DAB has trouble with the rolling hills of Devon, I suspect 4G would do worse. Has anyone found they can have AA as their default audio source upon vehicle start?? I do not use USB stored music, it's all streamed.

Once the car has started and wirelessly connected to AA it will automatically switch to AA on-screen but leave the audio source as RADIO. It's a faff to go to HOME (out of AA), switch audio sources and come back to AA. So, not by design, but for me there is usually a podcast or Spotify paused in the small pane of AA, so I briefly hit play then pause and this switches the audio source - but it's not maintained as default next power on. And yes, right hand custom button to select sources, but I think I have that for heater controls.

A slight additional problem is that whilst I almost couldn't wish for the wireless AA adaptor to work any better, it does introduce one further complication. When AA has self started wirelessly and the Radio has defaulted to the audio source, incoming phone calls are not audible. This is because the phones BT connects to the adaptor and not the car. Whilst I'm driving, I'll mumble about the lack of a slick setup, sort the problem and take the call, but if my wife is driving on her own and the phone rings....

So do I crave maps voice guidance to play over FM/DAB or the car to start with AA as the default audio source? I suppose the answer is both!

Back to the thread though. Forget MG specifically, AA if implemented fully will play VG over Radio, I know other implementations in other cars and other head units do it. The fact that Dai and I :D notice the radio volume dip when a message should be heard is just a tease. This feature of VG mixed over the top of radio is also implemented in Apple CP as well and I've witnessed it in a Mini.

On our 15 yo other vehicle with an after market BT hands free, I wouldn't expect VG over FM to work, technically it can't work as it's akin to an old Hi-Fi separates setup where the amplifier has distinct audio sources with no intermixing. A full AA implementation can mix.

I'll keep searching the Android and AA forums in case there is an answer out there and if I resolve I'll post it here.

I know this is a real 1st world problem and I'm a lucky boy, I have my health and a new car etc etc but it's the last 1% that makes the big difference.

BTW, before some wag suggests asking the dealer - please take my answer as Foxtrot Oscar

If you've made it this far - well done, go and have a lie down, night night xx

use Tunein Radio app, then it's still the FM/DAB Radio that is the default audio source that the car wakes up with, so before I do anything I'm probably sucked into something I might want to listen to and there we are, no voice guidance. If the car started with AA as the audio source, then maybe I'd feel more inclined toward using a radio app and my initial problem wouldn't exist as AA would be handling all the audio and I'd hear Voice Guidance if enabled. Besides, DAB has trouble with the rolling hills of Devon, I suspect 4G would do worse. Has anyone found they can have AA as their default audio source upon vehicle start?? I do not use USB stored music, it's all streamed.
If you have TuneIn radio on your device and you have android auto in the settings to play music automatically as soon as you plug in your phone your last music app will open that you used in the car with AA.

If you have TuneIn radio on your device and you have android auto in the settings to play music automatically as soon as you plug in your phone your last music app will open that you used in the car with AA.
A reasonable thought, thanks, I'll give it a try - BUT! why does the radio start as the audio source and not my last unfinished podcast?
Nothing ventured...

This issue might not effect trophy spec as they are able to access internet through the onboard sim card for everything, where as SE is through the phone sim? just a thought dont know if it makes any differance.

you might not want to use tunein radio all the time as it uses lots of phone data?

Had the same lack of voice guidance over the radio on my SE so gave up and bought a Carlinkit which works perfectly and I don't have to plug in my phone. Be good if you can get it sorted though.

AA worked perfectly on my 2017 Hyundai i30 from the start, it's a shame MG can't get it to work.

Had the same lack of voice guidance over the radio on my SE so gave up and bought a Carlinkit which works perfectly and I don't have to plug in my phone. Be good if you can get it sorted though.
My wireless solution is also a CarlinkIt. Are you hearing Voice Guidance over FM/DAB in your MG4 whilst using Android Auto wirelessly connected through CarlinkIT?

AA worked perfectly on my 2017 Hyundai i30 from the start, it's a shame MG can't get it to work.
Very interesting, please just confirm I read that correctly, you were hearing Voice Guidance over FM/DAB in your Hyundai i30 whilst using an aftermarket or OEM Android Auto audio system?

Just confirming that it does work elsewhere. :)

Yes the Carlinkit 4 gives voice guidance over DAB on the MG4 (all wireless) and the i30 voice guidance also worked while plugged in.

Perharps if anybody has guidance audio working on Dab, they might let us know which phone brand does work?
We have a oneplus nord and nothing phone, niether brings the audio through. both did on my last car Leaf.

One of a number of issues raised with the Service Dept. of the dealer I bought from. Most issues remain unresolved including my SE not being able to give AA guidance by muting DAB radio. They said this would be reported to MG but I'm not hopeful for early resolution. I had no such issues with my previous MG, a very early Exclusive EV, everything worked perfectly from start, for 3 years when I sold it.

Perharps if anybody has guidance audio working on Dab, they might let us know which phone brand does work?
We have a oneplus nord and nothing phone, niether brings the audio through. both did on my last car Leaf.
And that I think is one of the problems - is it the phone, Google app or the car that makes it not work as it should? Too many variables to be an easy fix and each one will say/blame one of the others.

FWIW - my phone is a Poco M4 pro 4g.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel