Android Auto - no voice guidance from Google Maps on top of DAB / FM radio

Happy to report as the original poster of this thread that the problem on our SE has been fixed by upgrading the infotainment software from R13 to R16. As @ProfMartin found the same on 30th March I'm happy it's fixed.

I'm not sure if this was ever a problem on the Trophy with its totally different software, this version is SE only.
Have you lost the outside temperature indication from the top-right of the Infotainment screen with R16?

(Mine is in for oil leak fix and software updates today. I'm currently on R13).
I have no longer the outside air temperature displayed, shame, but I'd rather AA worked properly.

Below is probably not the problem as originally described.
I solved the issue on the in-laws mg4 today. On the phone press and hold on the app. If you have the option there labeled battery saver turn it off. Also allow permission for the app to autostart if available. I did this on Spotify and maps and now Google maps voice guidance works.

View attachment 16939

Last edited:
Trophy owners, is anyone able to test this who has had the very latest software updates (as far as they know)?

It is definitely an issue on ours.

I will just make sure we use an AA audio source rather than the DAB when using AA navigation for the time being.
Hi all. I have a new Trophy with SW level R30. I hear R33 is in common use and another update said to be available. Point is, I also have the muted Google maps satnav directions issue, except when playing something via my phone. Then I'm told where to go and when. I noticed the outside temperature goes missing when running Google maps. Whether or not I'm using it as a satnav. As soon as I go to the main screen or anything other than Android Auto, the outside temperature shows up, top right of the main screen.

Hi all. I have a new Trophy with SW level R30. I hear R33 is in common use and another update said to be available. Point is, I also have the muted Google maps satnav directions issue, except when playing something via my phone. Then I'm told where to go and when. I noticed the outside temperature goes missing when running Google maps. Whether or not I'm using it as a satnav. As soon as I go to the main screen or anything other than Android Auto, the outside temperature shows up, top right of the main screen.
The temp only shows on the MG screen, when a phone isn't connected, Android Auto and presumably CarPlay, take over the whole screen covering any of the status icons, including temp, along the top row. Without AA or CP connected, the temperature has been lost on the SE top row of icons as it went from version R13 to R16.

The lack of voice over DAB manifests itself by hearing the radio reduce volume coincident with a voice guidance message but the is no guidance, just the dip in radio volume.

From your description it sounds like the Trophy suffers a similar problem.

SE cured with the move to R16.

AA used to show forecast temperature (not actual temperature), but since the Coolwalk update I've not noticed it being shown anymore.

I rather foolishly started a new thread regarding the problem of vehicle dab radio and navigation instructions not working together. I had Zero replies, which surprised me because I find this problem an extraordinary failure by Google or MG. Using online radio uses data allowance from the phone and as I will cover later here there is a map application that works perfectly with DAB radio playing. So it can be done!
I will copy below my comments from my unread thread here, in the hope that someone can give me a reasoned answer as to why it cannot happen......

My MG4 is still failing to allow the vehicle radio playing and getting navigation instructions from Waze or Google maps. It is not a question of volume control level for reasons I will explain later. I have android auto version 9.9 on my phone and Waze and Google maps are July releases. If I call up BBC Sounds in place of the Vehicle Dab radio then I can get navigation instruction and radio sound from the selected BBC station, correctly.
However, I also have the excellent maps app Osmand on my phone and if I call that in place of Waze or GM, then I get navigation instruction and vehicle Dab radio correctly played, with the Dab radio muted while instruction are announced. Can someone tell me when the MG 4 software is going to be corrected to allow Dab radio and Waze or GM to work correctly. On Google search this same issue was being discussed and complained about in 2020! Why is there such an intractable problem when Osmand maps can solve it completely? Could it be infighting at Google

Unless I've miss read, looks like you have stumbled on the problem I was suffering from when I started this thread.

If you've an SE model and software version 13 then the problem is resolved with a trip to the dealership and an update to v16 from memory. It's confirmed back a way in this thread.

Good luck.

Unless I've miss read, looks like you have stumbled on the problem I was suffering from when I started this thread.

If you've an SE model and software version 13 then the problem is resolved with a trip to the dealership and an update to v16 from memory. It's confirmed back a way in this thread.

Good luck.
Certainly looks like that is the case - just irritating that we will lose the outside temperature display!

Not too bothered if I lose the outside temperature display but hopefully they will sort the irritating warning when it's hovering around 4° outside and it keeps going off...

Good luck.
Thank you for that definitive answer. I failed somehow to spot the answer in this thread. To confuse me further, with R13 in place I have recently had Waze behaving correctly with one particular combination of Waze, GM and AA. Then it stopped working with a later combination of updates. As an aside to this thread, my current combinations of software versions, on the car cause LKA to be active on initial power up, but on applying the footbreak, it turns itself off. I'm hoping that updating to R16 won't leave me LKA active. The QC of the cars software is lamentable.

Thank you for that definitive answer. I failed somehow to spot the answer in this thread. To confuse me further, with R13 in place I have recently had Waze behaving correctly with one particular combination of Waze, GM and AA. Then it stopped working with a later combination of updates. As an aside to this thread, my current combinations of software versions, on the car cause LKA to be active on initial power up, but on applying the footbreak, it turns itself off. I'm hoping that updating to R16 won't leave me LKA active. The QC of the cars software is lamentable.
LKA defaults to on now regardless of the software version. That won’t change.

If you use autohold rather than the handbrake all the time, and turn LKA off once you have the car in READY mode it will stay off until it’s next placed in ‘P’

My LKA functioned on R13 as you describe and continued to do so with R16 - I'm happy! So yes off once you start to drive.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back