Android Auto not connecting to Samsung and Huawei but work with Moto?

airwrks

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, just picked up Trophy few days ago and just cant get Android Auto to connect to mine and mrs Huawei P Smart and Samsung Flip phones, as soon as it you plug in, Android Auto tries to load on the car display then just returns back to the in car system, with error code 18 or 11 on the phone. But strange thing is it works perfectly phone on my sons Moto G9.

Been through plenty of threads on here and tried all sorts of settings and cables, even purchased a UGreen cable off Amazon but still not working with Samsung or Huawei.

Anyone else experienced the same? Any advice?

Check the USB ports on the phones are clear of fluff etc. also check AA is up-to-date on the Samsung and Huawei then check how the settings compare between the phones.

Check the USB ports on the phones are clear of fluff etc. also check AA is up-to-date on the Samsung and Huawei then check how the settings compare between the phones.
Hi Ian

Yeah the ports clear of any crud, and the AA apps are up-to date also. I've checked the settings between the phones but I cant see anything obvious thats different, anything in particular I should be checking? I've turned on special notification access for Google app and AA, turned on USB debugging, using USB media/file transfer mode, cleared caches but still error code 18/11 for Samsung and Huawei

In my parked Trophy, I plugged in my Moto g(8) Power to slow-charge it. All of a sudden the Infotainment screen announced the starting of Android Auto and requested permissions and to start Bluetooth (I don't use it). I accepted all and the connection was made with full functionality. My phone declared that Bluetooth had disconnected but everything worked.

Having read of problems with AA in the Forum I was surprised it was so simple. (Setting up iSmart was just as simple.)

I only tested Google Maps, BBC Sounds and VLC but all worked. The available apps are selective; are there ways to allow all apps to be displayed? I would like Navmii.

I seem to remember someone else plugged in their Moto phone without any problems. Moto runs the standard version of Android without any tweaking by the phone manufacturer which could explain why it connected OK and other phones are having problems.

I seem to remember someone else plugged in their Moto phone without any problems. Moto runs the standard version of Android without any tweaking by the phone manufacturer which could explain why it connected OK and other phones are having problems.
I have a Moto G7 Power and try as I did, I could not get it to work with AA.
It is Android 10 s/w.
And yet using the same USB cable, my wife Moto G6 to Android 9 s/w worked AA perfectly.

In my parked Trophy, I plugged in my Moto g(8) Power to slow-charge it. All of a sudden the Infotainment screen announced the starting of Android Auto and requested permissions and to start Bluetooth (I don't use it). I accepted all and the connection was made with full functionality. My phone declared that Bluetooth had disconnected but everything worked.

Having read of problems with AA in the Forum I was surprised it was so simple. (Setting up iSmart was just as simple.)

I only tested Google Maps, BBC Sounds and VLC but all worked. The available apps are selective; are there ways to allow all apps to be displayed? I would like Navmii.
Yeah I found the same, Moto worked seamlessly, but just trying to figure out why other phones like Samsung and Huawei refuse to connect

My G(8) Power was running Android 11. My wife's phone is more modern - Moto G62 5G running Android 12 - and, again, there was no problem connecting to the car. Finally I downloaded the Android Auto App for my emergency phone - Moto G(6) running Android 9 - and a connection was made although there were a lot more setting-up permission questions.

The next test is to use Android Auto and Google Maps for my journey to the South in June and see if it does better than the inbuilt SatNav (see another thread with my issues).

My Moto G8 Plus (running A10, but was originally A9 so still has the separate AA app) connects and runs OK in my SE SR. (I get an occasional connection failure, but not often).

We have had connection issues between our two phones, both connect to android auto, sometimes after replugging them back in because they do not initially connect, or have a dropout...this is when I did my research further.

The MG4 unfortunately has its shortcomings relating to android auto.

Firstly (like some other cars) it only allows a wired connection, and secondly it only allows connection wired via the left USB type A socket.

Android Auto, not just with MG, but any car that works via a wired connection is incredibly ropey without the use of a USB 3.1 Gen 2 cable which is capable of upto 10Gbps data speed transfer. There are many comments from many car owners that have said this solves their issues.

There is even a caveat to this. Unfortunately USB 3.1 Gen 2 cables that are of the older USB-A to USB-C types only support lengths of up to 1M. These cables are also known as superspeed+ or powerline ii cables, or simply USB-IF certified for 10Gbps cables.

Why MG could not have utilised the far more capable USB C socket for android auto which would also support for longer length leads, in the superspeed+ cable variety I do not know.

Not to mention the whole USB standard naming conventions and contradictions get confusing...why can't all USB cables be colour or other method coded so you know exactly what cable speed they are?

We have coming from Amazon today an Anker USB 3.1 Gen 2 cable [here] for £7.99, 90cm cable.

Also whilst typing this out (and ordered one as a spare cable) there is an Amazon basics one [here] in white currently with a 40% off discount code for a princely sum of £3.77.

Obviously both available with shipping included providing you are a Prime member.

Interesting and could be true about the cable. However, for my 3 connections I used the cheap cable I bought for the dashcam in my previous car (before I hard-wired it) in 2019. It is not a high quality cable - the plastic sleeve is splitting in places where it has been coiled - and it is 1.8m long. It has a usb-b to usb-c adapter for my more modern phones.

Interesting and could be true about the cable. However, for my 3 connections I used the cheap cable I bought for the dashcam in my previous car (before I hard-wired it) in 2019. It is not a high quality cable - the plastic sleeve is splitting in places where it has been coiled - and it is 1.8m long. It has a usb-b to usb-c adapter for my more modern phones.
Certainly from many comments USB 3.1 Gen 2 10GBps solve any issue if anyone is having problems. The cable we were using before was a braided 1.8m long USB-A to USB-C of an unknown speed/gen type.

After using these new cables for a few days I will report back in this thread and hopefully like many android auto users that have commented in many a review they will sort the problems.

The Anker cable just arrived some 10 minutes ago, it is of a more durable construction than usual USB cables, certainly not as flexible, and that must be due to its central core for power being so thick. I do wonder if some of the issues come down to how well the wiring is shielded rather than the speed, or a combination of the two.

1685035434428.png

Well certainly using a fast speed 3.1 Gen 2 cable has resolved connectivity issues for ourselves, now MG have to sort out the infotainment bugs.

I use a 3.1 cable on my Samsung z flip 3. No issues with connection or functionality. However on a 125 mile drive the phone overheated on the charging pad while plugged in so moved it into tray between seats.

Do you have a Trophy with wireless charging? (That might account for the additional heating). In my SE SR my phone (which lives in a gel case) doesn't get hotter (lying on the shelf) than it ever has in any other car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back