Android auto slow

ImMeh

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I've been having problems with android auto being very slow. When navigating with Google maps or Waze the screen lags behind which makes it very difficult to navigate. The delay is increasing the faster I drive. Navigating the menus is almost impossible as well as it takes 10-20 seconds for it to respond when clicking on something.

I have tried several different USB cables (USB 3.1) and cleaned my phones USB port with no success.
I've noticed that going back to the cars menus and then back to android AA with the * on the steering wheel syncs the screen with my position. This is a temporary fix but I don't want to do that every couple of minutes.

Anyone else facing similar issues?

I've been having problems with android auto being very slow. When navigating with Google maps or Waze the screen lags behind which makes it very difficult to navigate. The delay is increasing the faster I drive. Navigating the menus is almost impossible as well as it takes 10-20 seconds for it to respond when clicking on something.

I have tried several different USB cables (USB 3.1) and cleaned my phones USB port with no success.
I've noticed that going back to the cars menus and then back to android AA with the * on the steering wheel syncs the screen with my position. This is a temporary fix but I don't want to do that every couple of minutes.

Anyone else facing similar issues?
Sounds like your phone is underperforming. This could be due to a low spec/Old phone, or the phone get very hot in this weather due to rendering a map, using GPS and charging simultaneously.

What phone do you have?

What I do to solve the overheating issue is put the phone in the cooled area under the armrest. Make sure the vent is open.

Sounds like your phone is underperforming. This could be due to a low spec/Old phone, or the phone get very hot in this weather due to rendering a map, using GPS and charging simultaneously.

What phone do you have?

What I do to solve the overheating issue is put the phone in the cooled area under the armrest. Make sure the vent is open.
I'm using a Pixel 6 Pro so I doubt that's the issue I haven't noticed any overheating issues either.

I'm using a Pixel 6 Pro so I doubt that's the issue I haven't noticed any overheating issues either.
The pixel 6 pro has had a bumpy ride in android auto. They've been throwing bug fixes at it for a while. Could you try using a different phone to confirm the MG headunit is at fault?

The pixel 6 pro has had a bumpy ride in android auto. They've been throwing bug fixes at it for a while. Could you try using a different phone to confirm the MG headunit is at fault?
I tried with my partners S21 Ultra as well with similar results.
It seems to work better while not playing music with Spotify while navigating.

Have you got the Android Auto App in the phone? If yes, try removing it and letting the version that's embedded in the car software do the work.

I have the same issue with a pixel 6 so looks like a pixel problem, only started about 4 weeks ago. The cars built in nav has no lag so assume it's the phone?

I have the same issue with a pixel 6 so looks like a pixel problem, only started about 4 weeks ago. The cars built in nav has no lag so assume it's the phone?
The phone type does seem to affect it. My old Moto G8 was a bit hit and miss, and had to be unlocked, but the new Samsung 22 starts straight away even if the screen's locked and seems more immediately responsive.

I tried again with my old Asus ROG 2. It was just for a short distance but if worked flawlessly during that time. With both Spotify and maps running at the same time. So I guess it has to do with the phone.

I've seen a number of reports on Waze causing AA to lag during navigation, a quick search online will bring up the news. Perhaps going back to your old Asus meant an older version of Waze and one not so laglustre (sorry 😊) I use Google maps on my Moto Edge 20 pro and it seems once the car has 'warmed up' I don't experience any lag on AA (not even that which might be expected with our beloved HSs).

I have had this lag problem with Google maps start earlier this week with my Note 20 Ultra that I've been using with AA on my HS phev for 15 months with no problem (once I'd sorted the correct cable at first). I haven't found out what's causing the issue just yet, but I would suspect a google maps or AA update has broken something.

Same problem! I tried 3 different Android phones... All do lag after a while (20/30 mins of driving, sometimes less).

Next time I'll try without spotify

Last edited:
I have the same problem with a brand new Realme (Oppo) but it was the same with my old Xiaomi. However it was not doing it at the beginning of the summer, so I think an update of Android Auto which goes badly with the hardware of MG-SAIC...
I'm very disappointed as the MG infotainment on this model is very disappointing, Android Auto is essential for me to manage travel, my music, and my calls.
What can we do with this ?

On holiday so am using Google Maps. Seems I am suffering with the lag, map shows me approaching a roundabout when I have already gone round it and am far up the road. However the guidance seems spot on which seems very odd. If the guidance is correct why not the map,they are both using the same GPS signal?
The phone is a Galaxy A40, fairly new and Google Maps worked fine until recently.
VERY Frustrating

Exiting and re-entering Maps (you can set the steering wheel "*" button for ease of use) solves the problem (very) temporarily.
As the car is not connected to the network, as the problem appeared like that, one day, I guess it's an invisible update of Google maps which is not compatible with our hardware anymore. Let's hope for a fix from Google before the launch of the new Google auto interface.

I've been using my Samsung 22 for about 3 months with the HS without any issue. Early hours of this morning on a Gatwick run I noticed the map was lagging about half a mile behind my actual location. Pulling the USB lead out briefly resolved the issue but not for long, as is reported above.

I did a bit of Googling and found a suggestion that clearing the App's cache and data storage may help.

Just done that - cleared just over 600mb of files from the Maps App. Will report back later when I've been out for a run.

I rather suspect changes, an invisible update to Google Maps, that make communication with the car hardware difficult.... Google is preparing a major overhaul of Google auto and has already made big, invisible changes to the app in this regard

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom