Android auto slow

Not in my car. I use it a bit more because of the Android Auto bug and never any problems. It's actually pretty good but it's not connected so it doesn't take traffic into account

Update: clearing App data no good, still lagging. Factory resest on car worked for about 30 miles, now lagging again and as a bonus outside temperature has switched to Fahrenheit. 🤦‍♂️

I've rolled the Google Maps back to V11.22.2 this afternoon by removing the latest update in Settings/Apps/Maps.

Done a couple of admittedly short journeys, but no signs of any delay.

Uninstalled updates, maps went back to 10.80.0 which I assume is its default map. I could not find any option to uninstall individual updates.
Will try it again today and see if it loses the lag.

Well, mapping was spot on for first journey as was the guidance.
Had trouble on the next leg as Google was getting in a muddle.
Hey Google..take me to 'destination'.
I'm sorry, there's a problem please try again.
Or.
I didn't understand, please try again.
Or.
I'm still learning....
Gave up and used cars satnav.
Stopped for fuel and tried again with Google, no problems, got us back with spot on mapping and guidance.
Rolling back seems to have worked.

Well, mapping was spot on for first journey as was the guidance.
Had trouble on the next leg as Google was getting in a muddle.
Hey Google..take me to 'destination'.
I'm sorry, there's a problem please try again.
Or.
I didn't understand, please try again.
Or.
I'm still learning....
Gave up and used cars satnav.
Stopped for fuel and tried again with Google, no problems, got us back with spot on mapping and guidance.
Rolling back seems to have worked.

Mine started to lag a bit yesterday, and a quick check revealed the Maps software had updated again, so the latest version does seem to be at least part of the problem. I've removed the update again and set the phone so it doesn't update automatically.

Mine started to lag a bit yesterday, and a quick check revealed the Maps software had updated again, so the latest version does seem to be at least part of the problem. I've removed the update again and set the phone so it doesn't update automatically.
Just when I thought it was fine...
After success yesterday we set off today for the homeward journey, my wife was driving which allowed me to play with both car and google's satnav. I soon noticed that Goggle was again lagging behind. about an hour later I chose the approach to an M3 overhead roundabout which we were approaching, as soon as the car went under the roundabout ahead I set my timer to see when the google app got to the same point, not an exact science but good enough for this job. Google was lagging 60 seconds behind we were traveling at around 60mph so that was roughly a 1 mile lag.
I then tried the cars nav' screen and that was fine, so used that screen with the google guidance which sort of worked for me in the passenger seat but not for the boss!!
On return I found that over the previous night Google had updated to version 11.51.0702 but I forgot to check it before returning this morning. I have now reset to Version 10.80.0 and will see how it goes.

? where can I find the option to stop Google Maps updating itself?

Last edited:
Im Having the same issue with my samsung z flip 3 and android auto in my MG ZS. I have found a work around but it only works once the phone is plugged in, so needs to be done everytime you replug the phone.

1) connect phone to the car and start android auto.
2) once on android auto, press and hold the house (home) button on the head unit for 10 seconds. This will reboot the head unit. (Leave the phone connected to usb)
3) android auto should automatically reopen where you left off and as if by magic, no more lag.

I would say this hack works 7 out of 10 times so you might just need to hold the house again if it starts lagging.

I spoke to my local MG dealer on Wednesday about this and they are aware of the issues apparently. How far to china this issue will make it is another question.

? where can I find the option to stop Google Maps updating itself?
In Android, go to the Play Store, tap your account Icon top right, go to Settings / Network Preferences / Auto Update Apps / Don't Auto Update Apps.

Unfortunately it's a blanket setting so you'll need to get in to the habit of checking for updates for all the other Apps.

I was on M6 and was using Google maps, got off at JCT15 as I noticed traffic, the lag was terrible lasted for approx 10 mins and then I just turned it off and used the in built system.

Might be worth checking System/apps/maps. I have rolled back to 10.80.0. The phone keeps updating to 11.52.0802.
Went on a good run last week using 10.80.0 Google maps kept up with me turn by turn with no lag. Probably wont last though........

Had the problem of lagging map with voice directions being synched correctly. Google Pixel 4A been using via a cable with car on Android Auto since we got the car in April 2022 without issue. The problem struck in the last 5 minutes of a 2hr20 trip which was least helpful as that was the final directions for an unfamiliar destination and most of the motorway route we knew the way.

Seemed to work fine for return Journey though we unplugged for last 20 to charge my wife's phone.

So might be a resources issue on head unit our phone after a period of running.

Frustrating if latest version of Google maps is not reliable.

Will monitor for repetition.

Went shopping this morning, Google Maps stayed with me all the way to the car park. Left car park then noticed Google Maps still showed me in the car park. Played with car satnav, turned off Google no improvement.
Then had a thought, I always keep the phone on my right trouser pocket so took it out and put in the slot in the center console, 3 seconds later Google Maps homed in and kept up until I got home.
As I am using AAWIRELESS I guess it must be something with the signal not getting through. I Will keep an eye on it.....

With the phone in the console slot connection to the screen was faster, Google Maps found me in the club car park. I selected destination as home and Map arrow followed me perfectly. No lagging at all and guidance was spot on. Bit early to say the problem is fixed but it's looking promising.

Then had a thought, I always keep the phone on my right trouser pocket so took it out and put in the slot in the center console, 3 seconds later Google Maps homed in and kept up until I got home.
As I am using AAWIRELESS I guess it must be something with the signal not getting through. I Will keep an eye on it.....
I've found the same thing. I use Carsifi and always kept my phone in my shirt pocket. Amigo, Waze and Google maps all lagged at times until I started putting my phone on either the top of the dashboard display in front of the driver or on top of the cup holder cover in the central console. That seems to have cured the problem.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom