Annoying delay when getting in to drive

shaunuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Any one else having issues waiting for the car to wake up fully before selecting drive? Guess I was a bit spoilt with a Tesla a few times and assumed the mg4 would be similar. I tend to do lots of short school run type trips.
When I get in and press the peddle it will not let me select forward or reverse. I have to release the peddle. Wait a bit and then press again, if I do it to soon I don’t get the ready notice and have to sometimes lock and Unlock the car again and do the startup procedure slower. Feels clunky.

Any one else having issues waiting for the car to wake up fully before selecting drive? Guess I was a bit spoilt with a Tesla a few times and assumed the mg4 would be similar. I tend to do lots of short school run type trips.
When I get in and press the peddle it will not let me select forward or reverse. I have to release the peddle. Wait a bit and then press again, if I do it to soon I don’t get the ready notice and have to sometimes lock and Unlock the car again and do the startup procedure slower. Feels clunky.
Wow mate! You sound more impatient than me! 🤣

yep a little bit, but only seconds

I have not had the privilege of using a Tesla, so have no comparison, but what I do have, is enough for me 👍

Does it preheat the battery in cold weather similar to the glow plugs on a diesel?
It’s not the battery heating. That would take minutes to hours. It’s the time the electronics take to wake up.
I probably am a little impatient. But some times it can be 10 seconds or so before I can go. Even the old oil burning fossil car is faster than that.
I suppose the Tesla has vampire drain and keeps the computer running, mg probably does not.

That doesn’t sound like mine. Ok the screen is a little slow if it hasn’t been used for a while, but I have never had to lock and unlock the car. I wonder if you have a dodgy driver’s seat switch so you have to be sitting in a certain position to trip it. Or maybe you are pressing the peddle before your bum is in the seat

I did notice a few seconds of delay on my test drive, certainly didn't fee like 10 though. Maybe it's best to leave belting up and glancing in your mirrors till after you press the 'brake to wake'?
It probably takes longer if you try to rush it ?

I wish my life was so exciting I couldn't wait 10 seconds before driving off in my car.
I did notice a few seconds of delay on my test drive, certainly didn't fee like 10 though. Maybe it's best to leave belting up and glancing in your mirrors till after you press the 'brake to wake'?
It probably takes longer if you try to rush it ?
Good point. I probably should slow down and check some stuff whilst waiting. The whole startup procedure does seem buggy, as well as all the strange settings that don’t stick, lockups, evil lane assist, hopefully all fixable with software updates.

Good point. I probably should slow down and check some stuff whilst waiting. The whole startup procedure does seem buggy, as well as all the strange settings that don’t stick, lockups, evil lane assist, hopefully all fixable with software updates.
Fair enough. It just seems alien to me as in the three glorious petrol cars in the home (and every other glorious petrol car which I've owned), I let them tick over for a few minutes when starting it for the first time of a particular day. If the engine is warmed (say I've gone shopping and then leave 30 mins before leaving again), I usually give it a minute or so. Looking after the glorious petrol car(s) is more important to me than being 60-180 seconds 'late'.

Fair enough. It just seems alien to me as in the three glorious petrol cars in the home (and every other glorious petrol car which I've owned), I let them tick over for a few minutes when starting it for the first time of a particular day. If the engine is warmed (say I've gone shopping and then leave 30 mins before leaving again), I usually give it a minute or so. Looking after the glorious petrol car(s) is more important to me than being 60-180 seconds 'late'.
Pros and cons to all fuel types I guess. Must admit I don't much like modern DI Diesels in winter, too damn efficient so take miles to warm up, but still make enough racket to pee off the neighbours at 6am.
Looking forward to setting the cabin to heat silently on the 4 while I sip my coffee in my slippers ;)

Even with ICE car's the advice is to switch on and go, rather than have them idling and waste fuel. Likewise when finishing your journey with a turbo'd car, don't keep it idling before you switch off (or blip the gas peddle); all very old-hat now.

Yes, I sometimes get this quirk. Release your foot off the brake & reapply - you should be able to select drive within a second of doing this.

I’m on holiday in wales this week adding 100 miles each day, so getting to know the car much better-but am finding a few more quirks to do with charging - particularly with a granny charger, as for me I have to plug in and switch on in a particular order, I’m still trying to work out exactly which sequence works best- so will report once I’ve worked it out.

I’m also finding that recharge from brakes doesn’t work over 95% SOC (or it’s cold?)which can wake you up in the morning trying to stop at a junction.

Even with ICE car's the advice is to switch on and go, rather than have them idling and waste fuel. Likewise when finishing your journey with a turbo'd car, don't keep it idling before you switch off (or blip the gas peddle); all very old-hat now.
Depends on who's advices you take.
Not sure how 'old hat' it is when ~ 94% of cars on the road are of this tyre.

Yes, I sometimes get this quirk. Release your foot off the brake & reapply - you should be able to select drive within a second of doing this.

I’m on holiday in wales this week adding 100 miles each day, so getting to know the car much better-but am finding a few more quirks to do with charging - particularly with a granny charger, as for me I have to plug in and switch on in a particular order, I’m still trying to work out exactly which sequence works best- so will report once I’ve worked it out.

I’m also finding that recharge from brakes doesn’t work over 95% SOC (or it’s cold?)which can wake you up in the morning trying to stop at a junction.
The absence of brake regeneration above a 9X% SOC is normal on almost every EB. I live on the top of a big hill so always only charge to 90% specifically to avoid not capturing the potential energy! You may also find when the temperature drops below zero you have to wait until the battery warms up if it hasn't been preconditioned.

There appear to be a few non-MG4 (but other MG) owners posting in this thread, hence the confusion.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 520 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back