Another charging lesson learned.

Ian Key

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I connected my MG4 to the Zappi charger last night but had trouble getting the Zappi app to talk to the charger. I don't do a lot of mileage so it had been nearly 2 weeks since the last charge. After several goes I thought it had accepted my instructions to charge at the cheap rate and left it to it. This morning no charging had taken place and the charger was still showing stop. Switching the Zappi off and on at the mains sorted out the connection problem with the app.

The lesson from this is if I need nearly a fully charged battery is to charge it to 80% (I have the Trophy) two nights previous to when I need it and then top it up the night before. Then if it doesn't charge for some reason I can have another go and not have to drive round to the nearest expensive fast charger on the day.

Good lesson...

I always need two charges generally if I'm off on a journey and always do the first 3 days before so that even if there's a problem with one I've a second chance....

... especially with the price of commercial charging rising as quickly as it is... :rolleyes:

The first charge I did after the update was only at 4kW last night it was fine at 7kW.
I haven't had to turn the Zappi off at the CU.

My OHME fails to charge once in a while and I am pretty sure it's that it won't charge a second time after one session is finished without being unplugged and plugging back in.

So for instance if it's 20% full it will put in c 45% during my cheap 4h period on the first night but if I leave it in for the next night to top up it doesn't do anything on the second night.

I'm sure if this the case then it is a charger problem rather than the car, as it used to charge quite happily on consecutive nights on my previous EVSE.

I suppose I need to test it scientifically sometime, or research to see if already a known problem, but it's not a big deal for me really, just something I need to be aware of.

My OHME fails to charge once in a while and I am pretty sure it's that it won't charge a second time after one session is finished without being unplugged and plugging back in.

So for instance if it's 20% full it will put in c 45% during my cheap 4h period on the first night but if I leave it in for the next night to top up it doesn't do anything on the second night.

I'm sure if this the case then it is a charger problem rather than the car, as it used to charge quite happily on consecutive nights on my previous EVSE.

I suppose I need to test it scientifically sometime, or research to see if already a known problem, but it's not a big deal for me really, just something I need to be aware of.
This sounds like it's related to the charge schedule you've got set up. F. ex. if you set it to add, say, 80 miles within the 4hr overnight window and then don't unplug, it thinks you've done what you wanted and won't do anything on night #2 etc. Have you tried setting up a higher % but still capped at the 'cheap' rate? That way it would take 2 nights to achieve what you wanted without having to remember to unplug!

Ahhh user error, that doesn't surprise me in the least :)

I don't actually bother setting anything, I think it's set higher than the window can provide and then adjusts itself. There are messages saying that but I# ve not taken much notice. :)

I'll try your suggestion, and read up on how to configure it properly for a car which doesn't talk to anything!! Thanks

PodPoint Home Charger - Plug in - Charge / Sorry only issues I have every had was messing with timers from the car - Never bothered with the PodPoint Home App - Might have too know re My EDF contract coming in for renewal August.

Ahhh user error, that doesn't surprise me in the least :)

I don't actually bother setting anything, I think it's set higher than the window can provide and then adjusts itself. There are messages saying that but I# ve not taken much notice. :)

I'll try your suggestion, and read up on how to configure it properly for a car which doesn't talk to anything!! Thanks
Well with mine if it's set to, say, 85 miles overnight and only achieves 80, night two (without unplugging and therefore resetting the charge schedule) will only charge to add 5 miles! Sounds like you have the same thing going on. Have an experiment and see what you find... If the ppm overnight price cap is active then all should work as you want it to!

I connected my MG4 to the Zappi charger last night but had trouble getting the Zappi app to talk to the charger. I don't do a lot of mileage so it had been nearly 2 weeks since the last charge. After several goes I thought it had accepted my instructions to charge at the cheap rate and left it to it. This morning no charging had taken place and the charger was still showing stop. Switching the Zappi off and on at the mains sorted out the connection problem with the app.

The lesson from this is if I need nearly a fully charged battery is to charge it to 80% (I have the Trophy) two nights previous to when I need it and then top it up the night before. Then if it doesn't charge for some reason I can have another go and not have to drive round to the nearest expensive fast charger on the day.
Zappis need regular reboots. That's my experience, fortunately it is easy - just hold down the menu button for a few seconds. I have the latest firmware but it is still buggy.

Zappis need regular reboots. That's my experience, fortunately it is easy - just hold down the menu button for a few seconds. I have the latest firmware but it is still buggy.
How often do you have to reboot the Zappi?

I never reboot my Zappi apart from firmware updates, never had an issue in 4+ years.

Few EVs / chargers will do 2 nights in a row without unplugging & plugging in again

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom