Anti Collision Failed

Wazzmania

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello,

Would like to get everyone's thoughts on this one. On Friday night I was travelling home and unfortunately I passed out whilst driving...my ZS EV did the regen braking from 20mph to 5mph until it hit a car on the other side of the road. Unfortunately the anti collision/braking system did not kick in which it should have as it was a head on collision at 5mph.

I have dashcam footage of this as well if anyone wants to see it.

What are my rights here? Can I go back to MG and complain about this? Of all the times the anti collision did not work but would randomly kick in when I'm driving near an obstacle, i.e. those yellow and blue island things (not exactly sure what to call them).

My insurance has deemed myself at fault although I blacked out and fell unconscious however police on the scene said no parties can claim for personal injury as I collided at 5mph, only claims for car damage would be deemed legitimate.

Best,

Wasim

Last edited:
I'm surprised your insurance haven't frozen your cover until they find out what caused you to blackout, unless you already know.

The wording of the driver aid will be crucial, is it worded as a driving assist, as that will imply it helps the driver not takes responsibility of the driving.

Ultimately the driver is responsible for control of the car.

Hope you are ok regardless.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but you pass out while driving and you want to blame the car ?
Was this an unknown health condition ?

The AEB only works for objects in the 'same lane', so backs/front of vehicles, pedestrians bikes . It cannot recognise all shapes such as a big lorry in front filling entire view.

The AEB only works for objects in the 'same lane', so backs/front of vehicles, pedestrians bikes . It cannot recognise all shapes such as a big lorry in front filling entire view.
It will also only work at certain speeds of closing, i.e. if your closing too quickly.

Your concern about the car above your own health gives the impression that this medical "event" was not entirely unexpected?

Hi all

Thank you for all your views and thoughts. The blackout was unexpected and not something that has happened to me in the past before.

But it's quite clear that the AEB only works whilst in the same lane whereas my car was travelling diagonally across to the other side of the road.

I guess I'll take the hit and get myself checked out! Scary to think this could have been on the motorway...

Hi all

Thank you for all your views and thoughts. The blackout was unexpected and not something that has happened to me in the past before.

But it's quite clear that the AEB only works whilst in the same lane whereas my car was travelling diagonally across to the other side of the road.

I guess I'll take the hit and get myself checked out! Scary to think this could have been on the motorway...
Please get checked out.
A long time work colleague blacked out and overshot a junction- into an moving car.

The hospital confirmed he had had a stroke.
3 days later he had a massive stroke and died - on Christmas eve.
Get checked out and don't take no for an answer.

The graveyards are full of heroes. 🙏

Hi all

I am sorry you had to experience this. However, I am very surprised that you haven’t already sought a medical opinion but as mentioned earlier, are prioritising the car. As you have passed out and this is unexpected you are not permitted to drive anymore until the cause has been fully worked out. The insurance company and the police should have informed you of that. The DVLA has suspended your driving privileges, have a look at their website. For your own safety and that of other toad users please stop driving.

Hello,

Would like to get everyone's thoughts on this one. On Friday night I was travelling home and unfortunately I passed out whilst driving...my ZS EV did the regen braking from 20mph to 5mph until it hit a car on the other side of the road. Unfortunately the anti collision/braking system did not kick in which it should have as it was a head on collision at 5mph.

I have dashcam footage of this as well if anyone wants to see it.

What are my rights here? Can I go back to MG and complain about this? Of all the times the anti collision did not work but would randomly kick in when I'm driving near an obstacle, i.e. those yellow and blue island things (not exactly sure what to call them).

My insurance has deemed myself at fault although I blacked out and fell unconscious however police on the scene said no parties can claim for personal injury as I collided at 5mph, only claims for car damage would be deemed legitimate.

Best,

Wasim
You should not be driving until you have been given a clean bill of health from a suitably qualified medical professional. I suspect that your insurance is invalid until you have such a report. I hope that this has proved to be a one off incident.

iirc passing out is an instant withdrawal of licence.
Friend of mine has epilepsy (usually well controlled by tablets) but had to give up driving for a year when he passed out at home.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom