Anti-Fog

AreFriendsElectric

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello, I appreciate that it is November in the UK but the front windscreen seems to fog an awful lot. I have seen some Rain-X products. Does anyone know if they are any good at all?

Hello, I appreciate that it is November in the UK but the front windscreen seems to fog an awful lot. I have seen some Rain-X products. Does anyone know if they are any good at all?
I do use rainx products. They really work and helps in anti fog but at some point they develop a oily layer on the inside of the windscreen and needs frequent wiping it off.

Even if you're on auto mode ? Auto seems to be way more effective, even if you change the fans level, all the fans keep running.

Bought a 1kg silica bag which helps slightly. Leave it on the dash by the windscreen. Have used rainx anti fog in the past and not found it useful. Think i will try it in the zs. Frequent cleaning with periodic fan seems to be all I can do just now.

I have a couple of 1kg Silica bags in mine and any slight misting is cleared within seconds using the screen demister. I refresh the bags in the microwave for 6 minutes then let them dry on a radiator then another 6 minutes. I do this every 3-4 weeks in winter weather and every 6-7 weeks in summer (or longer in dry spells).

Clean your windows. Any window cleaner will do. Mine was awful for it until I gave them a clean.

I found this weekend that this only occurs when you’re driving in ECO mode, even with HVAC set to windscreen only. If you’re in NORMAL, auto (all vents) works perfectly fine.

I found this weekend that this only occurs when you’re driving in ECO mode, even with HVAC set to windscreen only. If you’re in NORMAL, auto (all vents) works perfectly fine.
Thank you. When you say all vents, do you mean that all blue line blowers across the car should be on and not just the front screen?

Yes, when in NORMAL driving mode, even in all vents (all blue lines) is on, it keeps the screen clear, in my experience,

However, when you first get in the car, you might need to use the windscreen demister button to clear it initially, but after that, the HVAC system keeps it clear, as long as you're in NORMAL driving mode. It will definitely keep it clear if you have it set to windscreen only, but as I say, works fine when all vents are on anyway.

I had this problem here in Sweden also but then it got colder for a while and the heater has been running a lot. It almost seems like using the heater a lot dried up the hvac system. Now I can run it without Ac on and it’s not fogging up.

A week ago I tested the shaving foam way of demisting the windscreen and found that it really does work. I applied it using a paper towel and then wiped clean, using a micro fibre cloth after starting off with a paper towel. It takes about 5 mins and a bit of effort. In morning temperatures of 5-7 degrees I haven’t had a problem with misting.

I do use rainx products. They really work and helps in anti fog but at some point they develop an oily layer on the inside of the windscreen and needs frequent wiping it off.
Agree I tried rainx anti fog and it seems to have made it worse, I got a large bag of silica gel from the Aldi middle isle that seems to help you just stick it in the microwave every now and then to dry the gel out

Last edited:
Rain x is a good product but can give a haze if used on the inside. I bought a re usable moisture pad that I pop on the dash overnight.

If you are driving using ECO mode rather than Normal?
I find the AC is totally ineffective in ECO mode! Even the heating goes off. 21ºC can't be maintained and the car cools down quite quickly in ECO mode.
I think that it is faulty but MG maintain this is normal!
In Normal and Sport the AC, I find, is very effective in keeping the screen clear in this damp weather.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom