Any performance stats beyond the headline 0-60?

Superbracey

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm going to test drive an MG4 Extended Range and an X Power tomorrow. I'll admit that it's the headline grabbing power figure and 0-60 time that initially caught my attention and got me considering selling my XFR and moving to an MG. The more I read up on the MG4, the more the cheap running costs, long warranty and fuel efficiency appeal.

But I can't find any other acceleration figures except for 0-60 in 3.8 seconds.

My XFR has 510bhp, a claimed 0-60 of 4.7 seconds and a 0-100mph time of 9.5 seconds (and 20mpg). While I don't drive flat out everywhere, I like the flexibility of the big engine and the instant power at any revs. I like knowing I have a surplus of power without needing it all the time (I blame playing Top Trumps as a kid).

Does anyone know of a source of in depth acceleration figures (30-50, 50-70, 0-100 etc)?

Last edited:
My Trophy LR is plenty fast for me...main issue moving from a petrol was my still brain anticipating a delay in acceleration at for example roundabouts...easy to get caught out as the initial acceleration is pretty instant!

XPower must be insanely quick 0-30 I'd imagine.

I'm going to test drive an MG4 Extended Range and an X Power tomorrow. I'll admit that it's the headline grabbing power figure and 0-60 time that initially caught my attention and got me considering selling my XFR and moving to an MG. The more I read up on the MG4, the more the cheap running costs, long warranty and fuel efficiency appeal.

My XFR has 510bhp, a claimed 0-60 of 4.7 seconds and a 0-100mph time of 9.5 seconds (and 20mpg). While I don't drive flat out everywhere, I like the flexibility of the big engine and the instant power at any revs. I like knowing I have a surplus of power without needing it all the time (I blame playing Top Trumps as a kid).

Does anyone know of a source of in depth acceleration figures (30-50, 50-70, 0-100 etc)?
It is 0-62 in 3.8s, 0-60 takes 3.7s.

0-30 is 1.7s according to MG.

Not worth anything but I also don’t think the numbers tell you much. It’s visceral, instant and predictable/linear.

It’s power you can USE not that has to be tamed and pandered to with an ICE (IMHO of course)

Hope you enjoy your test drives and I’d be interested to hear what YOU think having driven potent ICE cars.

Funnily enough, it wasn't the acceleration that caused me problems at the start of proper EV ownership, it was getting used to the regenerative braking effect.

The exact point at which to "lift off" the throttle, to then smoothly execute the upcoming manoeuvre, without touching the brake pedal.

I'm a born natural now (obvs) 🤣 and I don't give it a moments thought.

It's amazing that this old dog can still pick up new tricks.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it. Once you have driven an X Power or for that matter any EV, the instant acceleration/power will put a smile on your face imho. I stand to be corrected but having owned two EV’s to date, that’s my experience.
Can confirm.
Shortly after getting my first EV, a mere 2020 Renault Zoe, I "blew the doors off" a Porsche Cayenne at the lights!
My smile was so wide, I was in danger of the top of my head coming clean off. 😁

Courtesy of CarWow :-

0-60mph in 3.77 secs.
Standing 1/4 mile in 12.0 secs.
Top Speed - 129mph (on Nurburgring)

The Xpower is a good match for the new BMW M2 so should be quick enough for you !!

Xpower Standing Quarter.jpg

When I test drove the XPower and the Extended range back to back it wasn't so much the acceleration difference but the suspension difference (as well as having 4 wheel drive) that was why I went for the XPower. Try some roundabouts or twisty roads and you will feel how the Xpower and other MG4's handle differently

When I test drove the XPower and the Extended range back to back it wasn't so much the acceleration difference but the suspension difference (as well as having 4 wheel drive) that was why I went for the XPower. Try some roundabouts or twisty roads and you will feel how the Xpower and other MG4's handle differently
Interesting - I had thought the ER would handle better being RWD and given the negative comments some have made of the XPower's 4WD handling, but obviously the upgrades will make a difference.

Could you elaborate on what was better in more detail?

I also drove the standard LFP version some days before trying the Xpower.

Big difference in tires, as both cars were on nordic studless winter tires, but the standard was on 16" and Xpower was on 18", so that could have made a difference alone, but the Xpower felt way stiffer in suspension. Felt way more sporty and tight, but still had acceptable comforts. The standard on those tires felt very soft, almost an old Peugeot 605 feel of it, very comfortable, and it felt like it could absorb much more than the Xpower, but had a good lean over in the corners, which probably would be a bit much in summer. In summer the side walls of the tires would be way stiffer anyway compared to these, so some of the tire lean would be reduced. The turning circle felt very good in tight parking situations on the standard, feels a bit more average I guess on the Xpower, but absolutely no problem.

On the slippery roads here the standard had enough power to make the antispin work constantly until 60-70 km/h straight ahead, and it was very noticeable where the drive wheels were, it could easily be steered with the gas to make it rotate around the apex of the corner. Both feels very direct in the steering input, but both lack most of the feel from the road. So none has an engaging steering, but a direct and calm feeling, makes it more comfortable and less busy drive. The Xpower do have a much more feel of the front tires help out in acceleration, as the back can step out here too, but you get the good pull feel from the front, making the accelerations in even very low friction coeff. situations to be very effective. Where the standard felt like it couldn't get (it's lesser) power down to ground to accelerate, the xpower feels very efficient and connected to ground. Much more dragging itself where you point the front wheels.

When drifting the Xpower it is an uncertain feel, which is from the lack of feeling a locking center differential, locking the front- and rear axle together. It is not easy to predict which of the front or rear motor that has the most power when pressing the throttle pedal, so it is not easy to predict power-understeer or -oversteer. That is much easier in the standard model with rwd, easier to predict the effect of the pedal movement, making it a more usable and secure function.

Adequate

Thanks for the replies.

So, my Jag's 1/4 mile time is said to be between 12.3-12.9 seconds but it is very much traction-dependent (in the wet it would be significantly slower).

It's party piece is it's "staggering overtaking ability", with 50-70mph taking just 1.9 seconds.

But you guys are showing me figures that suggest a little MG hatchback will do 12.0 second quarter miles and dispatch 50-75 in 2.3 seconds. And that is all weathers, on wet and dry roads. That's Ferrari F40 quick!!

The more I read about the MG4, the more amazed I am. The XFR is a car I lusted after for years. I saved hard, bought the best I could afford and love driving it. It's expensive to run and I knew it would be. But I've scratched that itch now. I will miss the noise most of all but not the performance, it would seem!

Whichever one I choose, I will be leasing the car through a salary sacrifice work scheme. I've never owned a new car or leased a car.

An 18,000 miles per year lease (my realistic average) would cost me £372/month (Standard Range), £398/month (Long Range SE), £420/month Long Range Trophy and £463/month (X Power). Bizarrely, the Extended Range would cost £597/month on the scheme.

Those costs include all servicing, all maintenance, tyres(!), insurance(!!) and no deposit.

Whichever one I choose, I will be leasing the car through a salary sacrifice work scheme. I've never owned a new car or leased a car.

An 18,000 miles per year lease (my realistic average) would cost me £372/month (Standard Range), £398/month (Long Range SE), £420/month Long Range Trophy and £463/month (X Power). Bizarrely, the Extended Range would cost £597/month on the scheme.

Those costs include all servicing, all maintenance, tyres(!), insurance(!!) and no deposit.
Does it include a charging point at your house?

Interesting to see figures from other salary sacrifice schemes, I was intrigued (especially about the extended range) so jumped on to our scheme, with the following prices:
  • SE - £335
  • SE LR - £358
  • Trophy - £373
  • X Power - £406
  • Extended Range - £554
Extended range very pricy, wonder why that may be. Makes the X Power quite tempting

Apologies, taking the thread a little off-topic

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel