Any regrets?

DeanH

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I'm considering a MG4 Trophy to use as a Taxi. For those who have one, if you knew what you knew now would you still buy one and out of 10 what would you rate the car overall?

I'm considering a MG4 Trophy to use as a Taxi. For those who have one, if you knew what you knew now would you still buy one and out of 10 what would you rate the car overall?
I don't have a Trophy, but do have an SE SR.
Knowing what I know now about the MG4, I would definitely buy one again.
Overall and in particular the driving experience, which is great and the value for money which is also very good indeed, I would rate it as 9.5.

I have no regrets about my Trophy. I have seen quite a few MG 4 taxis in London but never seen a Trophy being used as a taxi yet.
I'm considering a MG4 Trophy to use as a Taxi. For those who have one, if you knew what you knew now would you still buy one and out of 10 what would you rate the car overall? Regret

I am really happy with my car as a private car, bar a few sortware grumbles. However, bear in mind that in this car, and probably all new cars, there are features that default to settings you may not want, and they'll reset every time you get out and get back in again.

LKA is the most notorious, but also the front collision assist, the regeneration mode, the driving mode, and probably others.

Some cars get round this with physical buttons that make switching things back easier than digging through several menu layers on the Infotainment screen. Others support driver profiles, so that you could for example have a profile called Dean with all your preferences, and you'd simply have to select that every time you sat down.

The MG4 doesn't have that. If you don't like the defaults you have to re-select every one of your preferences every time you sit down n the car. This isn't much of an issue for those of us who have them as private cars, but it could be a much bigger issue for a taxi driver who is always getting in and out of the car.

I don't have a Trophy, but do have an SE SR.
Knowing what I know now about the MG4, I would definitely buy one again.
Overall and in particular the driving experience, which is great and the value for money which is also very good indeed, I would rate it as 9.5.
Having the 360 camera is the only reason for the trophy for me.

The second generation car's software seems to have fewer problems even LKA has less of a death wish.
Best piece of advice is make sure you find a pro-active dealer who will make sure all the available updates are installed.
And yes I would still buy one.

Yes I would still buy one today, it is the best car I have ever owned, no it isn't perfect but mine has been 100% reliable and I would rate it 9 out of 10.

No regrets.

I would add: as a taxi the boot might be a bit small.

Would the the MG4 make a good taxi? It will take a reasonable amount of luggage but I'm not sure about enough for 4. It doesn't have any clips for luggage straps. The rear seat will be cramped for three people. Its interior lights are dim and it has no rear interior lights.
I would have thought the MG5 was better for people with mobility issues.

I've owned my SE SR for a year, covered 15000 miles and knowing what I know now I'd certainly rate buying it as one of my better decisions!

Yes the software is buggy and it misses a few niceties that £ 40K plus would get you but It drives wonderfully ,is supremely comfortable, smooth, quiet and economical.

As others have said get a good dealer on your side and you can't go wrong .

Would the the MG4 make a good taxi? It will take a reasonable amount of luggage but I'm not sure about enough for 4. It doesn't have any clips for luggage straps. The rear seat will be cramped for three people. Its interior lights are dim and it has no rear interior lights.
I would have thought the MG5 was better for people with mobility issues.
You can replace the interior bulbs with leds, really easy to do to fix the light problem but yes, agree on the boot size.

Depends on the nature of the taxi work: not everyone is working airports and stations.

Having had several prior EVs, I am perhaps a bit more critical of the MG4 Trophy.
I'd buy it again, I am overall happy with it, but only in the context that several rivals have been discontinued or aren't available here yet. I think the next few years are going to be very interesting with the old ICE manufacturers going towards EV/EV only, and also other chinese manufacturers like BYD bringing models here, I think the MG4 is not going to look as good as it did. When it first landed a year ago, it was the only one with a similar range at this price point so it got a bit of a pass on it's issues, but that isn't going to last much longer.

Pros:
Decent battery
Reasonable drive
360 camera is nice

Cons:
Software overall
Lack of OTA/User downloadable software updates
TJA is borderline dangerous, LKA isn't too bad on latest updates
Lots of gloss plastics/cheap interior materials
Efficiency is middle of the road, prior Ioniqs I had were considerably more efficient
Earlier models seemed to have a lot of little niggles which they are slowly resolving
MG communication overall - both in terms of issues, and in general for example it'd be nice for Phase 1 owners to be able to get Phase 2 upgrades like rear wiper. Multiple garages advising it is hard to get info out of MG on latest updates etc.
Seats aren't the most comfortable (I'm 6'3 so I don't fit in some cars full stop though so context...)
Remote control via ISmart is very hit and miss. HVAC remote heating just does not work for me right now.
No auto windscreen wipers (seriously, on a 30K+ car...). SE/ER don't even have rear speakers so some definate cost cutting in places!

Most of my cons aren't a deal breaker, which is why I've still rated the car an 8/10 (almost got a 7/10), but they're still annoying and many of them just shouldn't be a thing.

Total 8/10

Last edited:
Agree with most of the above, but also depends how tall are you ,I,m 6-3 and its a little cramped, if you are spending a lot of time in the car then your comfort should be a priority, also I have the seat fully back which contrary to other reports does reduce the rear space considerably.

Hy Just fyi there’s been a few posts on here about the mg4 being a little difficult for physically challenged senior citizens.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back