Yeah, I was knocked out instantly so I remember nothing. It was early December. It took two hours to cut the car to bits to get me out, but just problems with legs and lots of bruised bits. A big cut to my head for me and my wife, lots of bruises, so it's going to take time, but we as they say walked away from it. Well, I was stretchered away, but we are doing OK - but to see the car is sad. First new car we ever got, then total loss. We got a payout but ended up buying a two-year-old Jaguar i-Pace as the only bad point with the MG was the software and lane assist. If they get it sorted I would get another MG4, so I do think it's a very safe car, as they said the van was probably travelling 70+ when it hit us. slowing down probably to less than 40.

Picture of my BMW i3 in April 2021 after someone tried to push me off the road to make way for them to overtake me on a blind bend. I would have ended up in a ditch had the nudge by the other car been successful. They ended up hitting a car head on with a young mum and her daughter onboard. Police said they weren't going to prosecute the driver until I had a chat with the traffic officer and explained what happened and provided dashcam footage to support my version of events. The driver was subsequently prosecuted but it could have been much more had there been any fatalities. The second picture is the aftermath of the head-on collision.

Attachments

• IMG_20210428_111621.jpg
    IMG_20210428_111621.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20210428_103444.jpg
    IMG_20210428_103444.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 57
As far as the assessors are concerned, if the battery pack is damaged it will be an immediate write off. It then depends on the cost of repair compared to the cost of replacing.

Ummmm, battery pack???

I reckon the fact that the roof was off and the back stoved in may have been reason enough!
🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

(I know what your saying m8, just couldn't resist 👍😘)

Edit : And sorry @salty I typed mine before reading down the page to see yours 👍🤣

Yeah, I was knocked out instantly so I remember nothing. It was early December. It took two hours to cut the car to bits to get me out, but just problems with legs and lots of bruised bits. A big cut to my head for me and my wife, lots of bruises, so it's going to take time, but we as they say walked away from it. Well, I was stretchered away, but we are doing OK - but to see the car is sad. First new car we ever got, then total loss. We got a payout but ended up buying a two-year-old Jaguar i-Pace as the only bad point with the MG was the software and lane assist. If they get it sorted I would get another MG4, so I do think it's a very safe car, as they said the van was probably travelling 70+ when it hit us. slowing down probably to less than 40.

It's a horrific story, and I really feel for you, but as you say at least your injuries will heal. A car is only metal and plastic, despite how sad it is to see a lovely new MG4 in that condition.

It's reassuring too, that the car was able to keep you from serious injury in a smash like that.

Enjoy your iPace, and maybe we'll see you back with another MG4 if they ever sort out Lane Killer!

Picture of my BMW i3 in April 2021 after someone tried to push me off the road to make way for them to overtake me on a blind bend. I would have ended up in a ditch had the nudge by the other car been successful. They ended up hitting a car head on with a young mum and her daughter onboard. Police said they weren't going to prosecute the driver until I had a chat with the traffic officer and explained what happened and provided dashcam footage to support my version of events. The driver was subsequently prosecuted but it could have been much more had there been any fatalities. The second picture is the aftermath of the head-on collision.

What a mess! Were the people in the third car OK?

Last night I saw something that could have been a real disaster. I was third in a line of cars negotiating the part of the A702 going through our village which is a 20 mph limit. I hadn't bothered to set my ACC to 20 mph because I was turning right off the main road anyway. So, as it turned out, was the first car in the wee convoy.

Yes, he was probably a bit late turning on his indicator, but he was in a 20 mph zone doing 20 mph, and he was positioned on the crown of the road. I did see him indicate, but only after the car in front of me had pulled out and passed him, accelerating up to (I guess) about 50 mph as he sped up the road (which is lined with houses on both sides).

Just a slight difference in timing and he'd have smashed right into the driver's door of the turning car. In fact no contact was made and the driver who was overtaken didn't seem to be a quaking wreck. It did leave me wondering though if I should get a dashcam, because if I'd had one it would have been damning evidence against the speedster. Mind you, my eyewitness evidence on top of the obvious circumstances would probably have done it.

What a mess! Were the people in the third car OK?

Last night I saw something that could have been a real disaster. I was third in a line of cars negotiating the part of the A702 going through our village which is a 20 mph limit. I hadn't bothered to set my ACC to 20 mph because I was turning right off the main road anyway. So, as it turned out, was the first car in the wee convoy.

Yes, he was probably a bit late turning on his indicator, but he was in a 20 mph zone doing 20 mph, and he was positioned on the crown of the road. I did see him indicate, but only after the car in front of me had pulled out and passed him, accelerating up to (I guess) about 50 mph as he sped up the road (which is lined with houses on both sides).

Just a slight difference in timing and he'd have smashed right into the driver's door of the turning car. In fact no contact was made and the driver who was overtaken didn't seem to be a quaking wreck. It did leave me wondering though if I should get a dashcam, because if I'd had one it would have been damning evidence against the speedster. Mind you, my eyewitness evidence on top of the obvious circumstances would probably have done it.
I submitted dashcam to the police of a woman who SO obviously hadn't passed her test. She had "P" plates on, which she probably thought meant she could drive with a Provisional licence.

I had an email back to say that action had taken as a result of my evidence (no details of what kind of action).

Dashcam has help me 3 times since I started using one. Well worth the investment. The first time was a dashcam app on my phone in a holder on the windscreen, so it doesn't have to be expensive. :)

Think I can safely say, beyond any doubt, that's a write off. :oops: :)

It's a horrific story, and I really feel for you, but as you say at least your injuries will heal. A car is only metal and plastic, despite how sad it is to see a lovely new MG4 in that condition.

It's reassuring too, that the car was able to keep you from serious injury in a smash like that.

Enjoy your iPace, and maybe we'll see you back with another MG4 if they ever sort out Lane Killer!
Yea i do miss the mg4 i will say they are a good ev to get you started in the ev world

Well my 2022 MG ZS EV got backed into a few months back by a Nissan patrol 4WD. I was literally stopped about 16 metres directly behind him as he was driving a bit erratically. He backed straight into me, jamming the passenger door and bonnet and damaging some of the plastic front trim. His tow ball went right through the steel on the area below the plastic trim. Luckily I had 2 things going for me, a dash cam (everyone should have one), and a really simple insurance settlement. Pleased to say that the local panel beaters got replacement parts from China in a few weeks and did a great job of fixing it up as good as new. The ZS was still driveable, though not at night as the LH headlight had a squint!!
But it was a revelation to drive a Toyota "gas buggy" as a loan car for a week or two. I would NEVER go back to such a primitive vehicle again. It seemed to take seconds before the engine responded and the acceleration was like a truck!

Well my 2022 MG ZS EV got backed into a few months back by a Nissan patrol 4WD. I was literally stopped about 16 metres directly behind him as he was driving a bit erratically. He backed straight into me, jamming the passenger door and bonnet and damaging some of the plastic front trim. His tow ball went right through the steel on the area below the plastic trim. Luckily I had 2 things going for me, a dash cam (everyone should have one), and a really simple insurance settlement. Pleased to say that the local panel beaters got replacement parts from China in a few weeks and did a great job of fixing it up as good as new. The ZS was still driveable, though not at night as the LH headlight had a squint!!
But it was a revelation to drive a Toyota "gas buggy" as a loan car for a week or two. I would NEVER go back to such a primitive vehicle again. It seemed to take seconds before the engine responded and the acceleration was like a truck!

A friend used to drive a Toyota Land Cruiser and one day a car drove into the back of him. The front of the car was a real mess and the driver was mortified. The cop taking statements spoke to my friend first then went to the car driver, said "the toyota guy is really annoyed with you"
"You've scratched his tow bar." :D

A few years ago one of the local buses was waiting at the bus top when the bus driver felt a slight bump and got out to find a car "resting" against the back of the bus with a slightly creased bonnet. The lad got out, apologised saying he had been blinded by the sun and hadn't seen the back end of the bus, they exchanged details and the lad sat back in his car to wait for the police.
An ambulance was also called to check the young lad over and they promptly called the fire brigade and told him not to move despite the lad telling them he was OK. The roof was cut off, so the car was now definitely a write off, and a spinal board was used to remove the lad from the car as a precaution.
He was released from hospital an hour later with no injuries not even a bruise but then his day got even worse. The two month old car, which he'd borrowed from his girlfriend to get to work, he descovered he was only covered third party by her insurance.

A few years ago one of the local buses was waiting at the bus top when the bus driver felt a slight bump and got out to find a car "resting" against the back of the bus with a slightly creased bonnet. The lad got out, apologised saying he had been blinded by the sun and hadn't seen the back end of the bus, they exchanged details and the lad sat back in his car to wait for the police.
An ambulance was also called to check the young lad over and they promptly called the fire brigade and told him not to move despite the lad telling them he was OK. The roof was cut off, so the car was now definitely a write off, and a spinal board was used to remove the lad from the car as a precaution.
He was released from hospital an hour later with no injuries not even a bruise but then his day got even worse. The two month old car, which he'd borrowed from his girlfriend to get to work, he descovered he was only covered third party by her insurance.

I always knew there must be people out there (the lad) despite saying he was OK, get a chance to gather their thoughts and think 'Oo, a bit of compo incoming here, if I play my cards right'

The paramedic instigating the whole roof off debacle, because the 'patient' has complained of a sore neck (probably)

The Fire Brigade commander see's the damage and thinks, 'there is no way this twonks injured himself, but hey, let's pop the roof off anyway'
Great practice for my firefighters!

I can believe all the above, I really can.
But leaving hospital after just one hour?

Now that's a great story👍🤣

I always knew there must be people out there (the lad) despite saying he was OK, get a chance to gather their thoughts and think 'Oo, a bit of compo incoming here, if I play my cards right'

The paramedic instigating the whole roof off debacle, because the 'patient' has complained of a sore neck (probably)

The Fire Brigade commander see's the damage and thinks, 'there is no way this twonks injured himself, but hey, let's pop the roof off anyway'
Great practice for my firefighters!

I can believe all the above, I really can.
But leaving hospital after just one hour?

Now that's a great story👍🤣

When I went into the back of that car at the roundabout the passenger, the driver's girlfriend, pulled that stunt. She kept rubbing the TOP of her head and saying it was sore (not her neck) and insisted on being taken to hospital despite the policeman saying you seem fine, do you want to spend your Friday evening in A&E? (The policeman had already observed that my air bags hadn't gone off, and the unsecured cat basked was still sitting on the passenger seat.)

I tried to tell the insurance company that she was at it, but I don't know what happened. I paid the excess on my policy, my protected NCD kicked in, they repaired the car, and that was basically that. They even gave me a courtesy car fast enough that me and the cat were able to continue to our weekend destination.

I still have a horrible feeling that girl conned them out of money though.

On a TV traffic cop series I remember one of the accidents quite vividly.

Smallish car, possibly a Fiesta rear ended by an HGV. The driver had been out to pick up a pushbike so had folded down the rear seats to fit it in. To do so he had moved his little girls seat into the front as she would normally be on the back seat which we are all told is the best place.

The car was completely intact in the front, driver and daughter were out without a scratch thank god. From the "B" pillar back it was a completely mangled mess.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom