Anyone else been plagued by Airbag Warning messages

It’s still with the dealer awaiting delivery of a new airbag - was told it’s one in the seat - been with the dealer since the beginning of March airbag not due til the end of April.

I think one of the problems is that the error code doesn’t seem to be getting logged properly (other than by the iSMART app but they don’t believe the app - ‘we done support the app’ is the phrase I kept getting). So when the car it turned off or the warning on the dash goes away the error code gone, it sounded like MG wouldn’t approve a repair without the codes so it’s a bit ‘chicken and egg’ and not very helpful.

The dealer eventually got the information MG needed from the car but it took a couple of weeks to get to that point and the work approved but the dealer tried to give the car back with the problem unresolved a few times when talking on the phone with them during that time.

If your driving with the fault it’s probably worth checking with your insurance that your actually covered as I’m pretty sure it would be an MOT failure if it came up during the test.

Last edited:
Hi did you get any further regarding this? Mine is in with the dealer with the same issue and they're clueless!!
I’ve just taken mine back to the garage yesterday, they’re saying it’s the airbags ECU, they’ve ordered a new one that should come next week.

It’s still with the dealer awaiting delivery of a new airbag - was told it’s one in the seat - been with the dealer since the beginning of March airbag not due til the end of April.

I think one of the problems is that the error code doesn’t seem to be getting logged properly (other than by the iSMART app but they don’t believe the app - ‘we done support the app’ is the phrase I kept getting). So when the car it turned off or the warning on the dash goes away the error code gone, it sounded like MG wouldn’t approve a repair without the codes so it’s a bit ‘chicken and egg’ and not very helpful.

The dealer eventually got the information MG needed from the car but it took a couple of weeks to get to that point and the work approved but the dealer tried to give the car back with the problem unresolved a few times when talking on the phone with them during that time.

If your driving with the fault it’s probably worth checking with your insurance that your actually covered as I’m pretty sure it would be an MOT failure if it came up during the test.
I’ve just taken mine back to the garage yesterday, they’re saying it’s the airbags ECU, they’ve ordered a new one that should come next week.

😩 hope this isn’t gonna turn out to be oil leak mk2 with loads of different fixes

😩 hope this isn’t gonna turn out to be oil leak mk2 with loads of different fixes
If it’s not fixed this time I’ll be asking for compensation, I’d advise you do the same to be honest! The way they’re handling it is a joke! My garage ‘don’t do courtesy cars’ either! luckily I have a motorbike I can use instead.

The dealer returned mine today, they replaced the whole drivers seat with one they took from a production car as the replacement air bag is now not due for another 2 months, Had a quick spin in it and fingers crossed it seems to have sorted the fault. Just in time for our other MG4 going in next week as the drivers door button has stopped working. Seems to be one thing after another at the moment with these 2.

Our old ZS and MG5 only ever went back for a service but the MG4s seem to have had more than their fair share of issues.

Last edited:
The dealer returned mine today, they replaced the whole drivers seat with one they took from a production car as the replacement air bag is now not due for another 2 months, Had a quick spin in it and fingers crossed it seems to have sorted the fault. Just in time for our other MG4 going in next week as the drivers door button has stopped working. Seems to be one thing after another at the moment with these 2.

Our old ZS and MG5 only ever went back for a service but the MG4s seem to have had more than their fair share of issues.
Ahh shit.. I have had the cruise control and the lane assist failing twice since I’ve had the car back too.

Misery loves company. Collected new MG4 Trophy on 30 June 23. Ran fine for a few days the air bag faults on every power up. Car into dealer 10 July. Initially told it was a software glitch but now informed that it needs a new airbag…. which is on back order. This is obviously a recurrent issue and MG do not appear to be covering themselves in glory regarding their efforts to remedy and prevent future occurrences.

Misery loves company. Collected new MG4 Trophy on 30 June 23. Ran fine for a few days the air bag faults on every power up. Car into dealer 10 July. Initially told it was a software glitch but now informed that it needs a new airbag…. which is on back order. This is obviously a recurrent issue and MG do not appear to be covering themselves in glory regarding their efforts to remedy and prevent future occurrences.
Mine has been fine since they replaced the airbag ecu.. might be worth mentioning that to the garage, they initially thought it was a problem with an airbag on it but it was the faulty ecu that was the problem.

Mine was in last week... they did a multitude of updates, airbag light was off on collection back on within 15 yards of driving. Been back in dealer since yesterday. Apparently a Tech Bulletin from MG landed today noting a known fault and that a wiring harness / connector is at fault??

Mine has been fine since they replaced the airbag ecu.. might be worth mentioning that to the garage, they initially thought it was a problem with an airbag on it but it was the faulty ecu that was the problem.
Thanks for the advice. As it turns out, the initial suspicion of a software fault was eventually confirmed and MG pushed out a technical fix with no replacement of airbags or ecu. Picked up the car this afternoon ….smile has returned! After 25 years of front wheel/all4 vehicles, I’d forgotten how much fun a well balance RWD can be.

Thanks for the advice. As it turns out, the initial suspicion of a software fault was eventually confirmed and MG pushed out a technical fix with no replacement of airbags or ecu. Picked up the car this afternoon ….smile has returned! After 25 years of front wheel/all4 vehicles, I’d forgotten how much fun a well balance RWD can be.
Excellent! Glad it’s been sorted for you!
Yeah they are quite fun to drive to be fair!

I’ve been living with this fault for some time, but the dealer not being exactly close and being booked up weeks in advance with no courtesy car available is not helping.
It went back in once with the fault, they couldn’t replicate or find fault codes. Said he cleared a code from when the car was built and I took it home. It was fine for some weeks, maybe even months. Then started coming back. One morning it stayed on steadily so I drove straight to the dealer thinking they’d perhaps get it on the diagnostics whilst the fault was holding live. “Oh no sorry we can’t do that we only have one tech and he’s too busy” salesman came out and gave the wiring under the seat a wiggle a bit and it went away for a day or so. Back now though and it’s difficult to find time where I can get the car in between my wife and I working and having someone to pick me up/drop me back to the garage. Really annoying and yet another quite potentially series fault MG seem to not prioritise?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back