• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Anyone fitted a Dash Cam yet? If so how did it go? Touch Screen with gloves on?

Just fitted my Nextbase dash cam using an OBD port gizmo bought from Amazon. Only took about 15 minutes. Was a bit dubious about how they work and switch off power but all seems good at the moment. After slot of research opted for this one
OBDII OBD Power Cable for Dash... Amazon product ASIN B07TV2Y6XB
Has two settings, on all the time or off after 5 minutes of switching off the ignition. I've tested it and it works fine, saves a lot of hassle and cost less than a tenner.

Eventually managed to move the panel away then noticed the fuses were micro versions and of course I had the standard fuse piggy back holder. Just ordered a new one from ebay. I read that this is connected to #8 fuse which is 15A, seems a bit heavy for a dash cam?

The manual keeps referring to the 'fuse extraction tool' where is it?

Eventually managed to move the panel away then noticed the fuses were micro versions and of course I had the standard fuse piggy back holder. Just ordered a new one from ebay. I read that this is connected to #8 fuse which is 15A, seems a bit heavy for a dash cam?

The manual keeps referring to the 'fuse extraction tool' where is it?
If it’s anything like the ZS EV board, the tool is plugged into the fuse board itself - just look for a smallish black block and give it a wiggle and it should come free

I fitted a dash cam to my present car and connected it to the fuse box, I would like to do this to the HS (when I get it) if it is reasonably possible for a DIY job. Any suggestions?

Just thought that come the cold weather and no heating without ICE on does the touch screen function if you have gloves on? It would be a bit of a faff if you had to take one off to make a change :unsure:.
Yes you need piggyback fuse and its very simple to install goole it

Yes you need piggyback fuse and its very simple to install goole it
Thank you. Yip ,got that: As I wrote in post#42 above.
"Eventually managed to move the panel away then noticed the fuses were mini versions and of course I had the standard fuse piggy back holder. Just ordered a new one from ebay. I read that this is connected to #8 fuse which is 15A, seems a bit heavy for a dash cam?"

Anyone who is thinking of ordering a piggyback lead on ebay, pay very close attention to the negative feedbacks, some sellers state the item location as Basildon UK however they are in China and take weeks to deliver. Like: blended_0 (1,423RED_STAR Star)

You have been warned.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have one but run to the USB port , I have a wire kit but I don’t know what the fuses are on the drivers side by door. I have a phev
Have a read of post #10 (Chillijohn)and click on the 'Dash Cam Link' This should show you all you need to know. The fuse pulling tool is in the fuse box under the bonnet it's white so easy to spot.
The Piggyback lead you need is the Mini lead not the micro version (That I ordered :cry:) I have now ordered From Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B072QC52FG
2 leads and 8 spare fuses, as some charge around £1.80 per fuse £7.99 and free (Prime) postage seems a good deal.

The piggyback cables and fuses arrived this morning, good old Amazon prime delivery.
The twin fuse connector/holder is somewhat suspect, I tried to install one fuse and it refused to go in, after a lot of coaxing it did go in but then would not come out without the help of a small screw driver used as a lever between fuse and connector block. The second, main 15a fuse slipped in without any resistance and nearly fell out buy itself. On an Ohm meter is showed to be a bit erratic so I twisted the fuse tongues slightly and that seems to have tightened it up a bit. I will return these as I do not want to risk my fuses catching fire then the car, I would rather not test out the 'Fire' part of my insurance policy.
I would rather hard wire it later if I can but in the meantime will order the OBD connector from Amazon.

not sure if you have already seen and discounted this way , i used just the ignition on option listed in the pdf with a garmin mini 2 , no issues at all (link can take a few mins to start loading so if blank give it a min Dash Cam Link
Hello
Had a look at the just one question how did you get the camera cover off I take it go’s side ways.

Not my day eh?
Fitted the OBDII connector and all seemed well, but was unable to get the recordings to play on my phone (Another saga!) anyway thought I'd check them on my PC.
The 64gb card was full in under 24 hours, yes I could play my driving recordings but found it also recorded at night.
The units switch was in position 0 which means it should switch off after 5 mins. I got home last night at 19.20 switched the car off, locked it and did not touch it again until this afternoon when I viewed the recordings as above.
The drive home recording stopped at about 19.30 then oddly started again at 23.54 and recorded 5 min segments until it switched off at 02.50 then on again at 07.11 and off and on again at various time. Needless to say I was fast asleep during this time.
The camera does have a small capacitor for keeping the settings so no idea why it should be so erratic. I do not think the car could get knocked parked on my driveway so not sure what the cause is. I tried to phone the UK number on the packet but it was of course was dead. the address shows as an 'overpaid tax accountants' run by a Chinese person, no phone number so no help there.

Last edited:
Not my day eh?
Fitted the OBDII connector and all seemed well, but was unable to get the recordings to play on my phone (Another saga!) anyway thought I'd check them on my PC.
The 64gb card was full in under 24 hours, yes I could play my driving recordings but found it also recorded at night.
The units switch was in position 0 which means it should switch off after 5 mins. I got home last night at 19.20 switched the car off, locked it and did not touch it again until this afternoon when I viewed the recordings as above.
The drive home recording stopped at about 19.30 then oddly started again at 23.54 and recorded 5 min segments until it switched off at 02.50 then on again at 07.11 and off and on again at various time. Needless to say I was fast asleep during this time.
The camera does have a small capacitor for keeping the settings so no idea why it should be so erratic. I do not think the car could get knocked parked on my driveway so not sure what the cause is. I tried to phone the UK number on the packet but it was of course was dead. the address shows as an 'overpaid tax accountants' run by a Chinese person, no phone number so no help there.
HI
will check my one and come back to you, if you swich between them it does turn off in the 0 positio.

I seem to have sorted the problem, I removed the OBD power cable and re-connected it. The camera recorded correctly but I found the added 5min on every clip was a waste of space, a 2 min run down to the shops then another 2 min back takes 14min of recording space.
Today I removed the OBD power cable and hard wired the camera to the fuse board.
Sorted, I hope.....:)(y)

Just fitted my Nextbase dash cam using an OBD port gizmo bought from Amazon. Only took about 15 minutes. Was a bit dubious about how they work and switch off power but all seems good at the moment. After slot of research opted for this one
OBDII OBD Power Cable for Dash... Amazon product ASIN B07TV2Y6XB
Has two settings, on all the time or off after 5 minutes of switching off the ignition. I've tested it and it works fine, saves a lot of hassle and cost less than a tenner.

OBD port is below the steering wheel. Roughly where your left knee is as you sat in driver’s seat (RHD).

Attachments

• OBD Port.JPG
    OBD Port.JPG
    739 KB · Views: 127
I fitted a dash cam to my present car and connected it to the fuse box, I would like to do this to the HS (when I get it) if it is reasonably possible for a DIY job. Any suggestions?

Just thought that come the cold weather and no heating without ICE on does the touch screen function if you have gloves on? It would be a bit of a faff if you had to take one off to make a change :unsure:.
I have just fitted and hardwired my dash cam ...i mounted it centre of windscreen behind mirror up to approx 1/2'' /1.27cm below the big black mirror casing to allow for power plug connection...mine was ontop of camera side fixing you could mount upto casing.. Gives excellent view both sides top/bottom with plenty of adjustment and cannot be seen from sitting positions inside car.

I would just like to mention i found it easier to pull off the door rubber seal first before i prised off side cover.
I also found the above pics thread 7/8 a little misleading perhaps its me but i found the 2 screws to remove were below those shown. After they were removed i needed to tease back the 2 plastic tabs which (these tabs are the ones that the screws passed through) they are part of the lower dash panel and double as a washer and securing clip, i used some scrap card board and pushed it in between them to keep them open a little and off the clip, then taking a firm grip using one hand to grip the bottom R/H corner of the panel and the other between the 2 now open clips a sharp swift tug and away it comes...pull OUTWARD NOT DOWNWARD as the clips are not downward securing. (Below pics showing the type of plastic securing clips which is used).
I found i did not need to pull the lower dash away more than a 3 to 4 inches ..7.5 to 10.16cm to access the fuses...my thinking the less disturbed the better and easier to refit.. I piggybacked Fuse No8 which powers the cigar lighter socket and only this ! it does not share or power any other of the vehicle electricals, Live when ignition on ONLY...
Offer back up the lower dash panel a light tap and its back in place.. reinsert the 2 screws and connect wires with dash cam ....push back in the side cover and push door seal rubber back in place.

p.s. obviously route all cable before reinstallation of lower dash panel which i found was a doddle. Worth mentioning : keep an eye on the two coin box drop down door springs which become visible after you drop the panel ...R/H side one especially ...its easy to catch and detach it from is fixing when pulling and adding fuses and ensure you feed it in back in place as you are lifting the panel back in place dont squash it !!

Addition...the magnetic ferrule which came with my Nextbase dash cam............ i did not need to use it...its only to stop interference IF NEEDED ! It was not included with my hardwire kit ...it came attached to the cigar lighter connection option so perhaps its only relevant to that fixing option.

Attachments

• IMG_4961.JPG
    IMG_4961.JPG
    598.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4964.JPG
    IMG_4964.JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4965.JPG
    IMG_4965.JPG
    601.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4966.JPG
    IMG_4966.JPG