Anyone Had Octopus Install Their EV Charger?

Darren D

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
We are new to the EV world and picking up our MG5 (August 22 LR Mk1) up next Monday.
I have made an enquiry with Octopus regarding an installation of a home EV charger.

Their online enquiry form was simple enough, but a week later nothing by way of a response or expected timeline. Called them on the phone and said they could not give any info and gave me another email address to contact.

I just wondered if anyone on here had used them to install their charger, if so, can they give me a little info on how long I should expect to wait, good value, recommend them?

Thanks,

Darren

* Just had an update from Octopus after my follow up email, given me a quote, so I'll keep everybody posted, Thank you to everyone who has reached out.*

Last edited:
Hi, if it is an Ohme EVSE you are after then it may only be Octopus that can install it.
If you have solar panels check out the Zappi and look on the Myenergi website to find a local EVSE registered installer.

Hi, if it is an Ohme EVSE you are after then it may only be Octopus that can install it.
If you have solar panels check out the Zappi and look on the Myenergi website to find a local EVSE registered installer.
Tried myenergi site, completed form and then got a quote from 'proev'? In Bedford, I'm in Leeds??? I suspect they would then subcontract to a local installer . Can't find much out about them, so I decided to give them a miss. Wanted Zappi as I have solar.

I'd recommend you find a local installer and specifically one who will survey the installation in person before giving a quotation.
It's finding one that is my issue unfortunately.

We are new to the EV world and picking up our MG5 (August 22 LR Mk1) up next Monday.
I have made an enquiry with Octopus regarding an installation of a home EV charger.

Their online enquiry form was simple enough, but a week later nothing by way of a response or expected timeline. Called them on the phone and said they could not give any info and gave me another email address to contact.

I just wondered if anyone on here had used them to install their charger, if so, can they give me a little info on how long I should expect to wait, good value, recommend them?

Thanks,

Darren
What do you think of this company ?.

What do you think of this company ?.

Really impressed with the info they gave, I asked about the Zappi, but frustratingly they don't do them. Understood why I wanted one as I have solar. Later came back and suggested the Hypervolt. It's a case of me accepting that I may have to alter my choice. Just don't want to give up on the Zappi yet....

I'd recommend you find a local installer and specifically one who will survey the installation in person before giving a quotation.
The other advantage of using a local trader rather than a national outfit is that the money you spend circulates in your locality rather than going directly to London and then on to the Cayman Islands or similar.

Really impressed with the info they gave, I asked about the Zappi, but frustratingly they don't do them. Understood why I wanted one as I have solar. Later came back and suggested the Hypervolt. It's a case of me accepting that I may have to alter my choice. Just don't want to give up on the Zappi yet....
Artisan electrics have great channel on You Tube.
Their number one wall box about 12 months ago was the Zappi, but Jordan was then asked to try out the Hypervolt unit and give his opinions on it.
He has a Tesla model 3 himself and he has tested a lot of EV wall box at his home address.
He wants to personally test the unit before he recommends any of his to his customers, which is a great idea I think.
The outside wall of his house, looks a bit like a piece of Swiss cheese 🧀 though !.
Their now “Go Too” wall box is the Hypervolt unit ( no he is not sponsored by them either ) Hypervolt is their favourite unit right now.
Hypervolt have a really good customer service team based in the U.K. according to people who have these units installed.
I believe that these units are solar compatible as well.
It is my understanding that Hypervolt are about to release a new updated model fairly soon.
Here is a video of Lee from Artisan installing another Hypervolt unit.

Another Artisan follower!!!
I know lately he's been singing the praises of the Andersen charger, saw him trying to 'cadge' a carbon fibre surround from their stall on their latest 'Fully Charged show' video.
There are a few to choose from, but having had a product in mind after doing my initial research, it's hard to change my mind.

Yes, watched that video. Unfortunately they don't do a Zappi. That said, I was impressed by their response time and fair approach, accepting why I would want that Zappi due to it's compatibility with solar.

Another Artisan follower!!!
I know lately he's been singing the praises of the Andersen charger, saw him trying to 'cadge' a carbon fibre surround from their stall on their latest 'Fully Charged show' video.
There are a few to choose from, but having had a product in mind after doing my initial research, it's hard to change my mind.
Anderson have been bought out now which is great news.
They made a nice looking wall box, but a bit too expensive for my pocket.
I don’t have solar or a storage battery unfortunately.
The choice of wall boxes is huge now !.
Had my dumb unit installed way back in 2016 when there was only a hand full of different units available way back then.
This gives you some idea on how things have moved on in that time.
There is almost too much choice of units now ( if there is such a thing ).
If I was buying a new wall box right now, I would likely go for a Hypervolt or a Zappi TBH.
But while my old faithful dumb unit keeps slugging it out, it still has a home on the internal wall of my garage 🤣.
I can recommend EVM and EV Nick on You Tube.
They have done some brilliant content on different types of wall boxes and all things EV and more.
Definitely worth a look 👀 at their channels.

Yes, I'm an avid watcher of EVM since his leaf days, was amazed that he was discussing chargers this week. Octopus can install the Zappi, so it looks like I'll be going with them.....not because they were £3. cheaper, but as a Yorkshire man, it has to be a consideration. (not sure if I can make such a remark nowadays???)

Thanks,

Darren

* Just had an update from Octopus after my follow up email, given me a quote, so I'll keep everybody posted, Thank you to everyone who has reached out.*
Podpoint any good? They do the complete supply and install service.

I'd hold out for the Zappi I think. Like OHME, they seem to be attracting companion products. And as you are getting (I think) a pre-facelift car you may well be wanting one to smarten up your charging.

I don't know if www.checkatrade.com is any use - they have a search field you can use which is Electric Vehicle Charger Installation

I had an OHME home pro installed by Octopus, ordered and intalled within a couple of weeks, once various photos of the house electric meter install and desired location of the charger were sorted. They even turned up in an electric van.

Installed a week or two before I got the car...

Thanks for that. Things started to move after posting this. I have now sent the photos you mention and made the payment, so hopefully things will move on now.

It's finding one that is my issue unfortunately.
A had a few issues myself and did a thread on it :)

Just for a bit of reassurance I had my ohme fitted by octopus, and for my installation they were fantastic.
It admittedly was a bargin price (when octopus was doing their fixed install costs so I had the whole thing done for £450 that's ohme pro and fitting! Years back now mind...) but there were no added costs or niggles.
The CT clamp didn't function properly (common with thr ohmes of that time) but they were back the next day with a new part to fix it.

They also did my smart meter installation at a separate occasion and were equally good then.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom