Anyone know anything about Solar PV and Batteries

I have both solar on a reasonable FiT rate (3.6kw) and added 17.4kwh of solax storage around 4 months ago. I can overstate how much of a game changer it has been. Able to charge at 5p per kw each night, I have paid no more than 80p (not incl service charge), per day over winter. That is ok a 5 bedroom house, with all electric cooking (2 kitchens as we have a lodger), and an electric shower. I have calculated that if I can be bothered to manage it daily, I could be "off grid" for the house 180-220 days a year based on last year's solar. I paid a very reasonable price for the install (£5395), although I know this has now gone up to over £7k due to supply chain issues.

In terms of payback period, for me it would have been 6.7years on the electricity prices at the time. Now it will be "relatively" less time, as prices will be around 32p per kWh peak, and 10p off peak on octopus.......or so I'm told. That is still a saving of 22p x16 so approx £3.50 potential a day.

I don't charge my car from it......that is a very expensive way to use the tech.

Screenshot_20211010-103734_SolaxCloud.png
IMG-20211010-WA0009.jpeg

For info, it is 5kw charge and discharge max rates. Didn't opt for EPS but the latest version of the inverter has it built in (mine would have been an additional £1200 with the add-on box)

I am sure there is & will be ways for some to benefit from batteries, just I cannot make it work at the mo!

There is a small edge-case for using a battery to supplement insufficient solar surplus to charge the car, particularly when the battery is already full. Say you're exporting 1kW to the grid but the car requires 1.4kW minimum to charge, the battery could make up that 400W shortfall for a while to create a bit of space so that you can top it up again later.

That's only going to save you a few pence in the scheme of things, but it helps to maximise self consumption while minimising grid exports. Although it's arguably 'greener' to export that energy.

There is a small edge-case for using a battery to supplement insufficient solar surplus to charge the car, particularly when the battery is already full. Say you're exporting 1kW to the grid but the car requires 1.4kW minimum to charge, the battery could make up that 400W shortfall for a while to create a bit of space so that you can top it up again later.

That's only going to save you a few pence in the scheme of things, but it helps to maximise self consumption while minimising grid exports. Although it's arguably 'greener' to export that energy.
Yes you can definitely do this. Project EV charger supposedly has this capability but i havent been able to get it to work as of yet......

Worth watching this Youtube video by EVM if you're interested in the 'business case' for battery storage without solar.

Worth watching this Youtube video by EVM if you're interested in the 'business case' for battery storage without solar.

Yes this is a great video and used it to inform my decision. Now ordered, although price went up this week by £1000 but managed to get previous price as was already quoted.
It’s only viable with variable rate however, but think that’s a considered risk to take.

Yes this is a great video and used it to inform my decision. Now ordered, although price went up this week by £1000 but managed to get previous price as was already quoted.
It’s only viable with variable rate however, but think that’s a considered risk to take.
Let us know how it goes and if the numbers work in real life.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom