Anyone 'pepped their brake lights up' yet, as Vyvyan would say?

I need to look for a cheaper indicator LED, first alternative I saw was £23 which is daylight robbery!
It's getting ones that you know are compatible with the car innit ?
Could be a case of getting what you pay for if you go too cheap / unknown. 🤔

Ok, finally got there 👍. Unique hero skill of making 10 min jobs take an hour , but.....
Video attached showing the end result, including free sex ed commentary .
Keep in mind this will only work during daylight as rear lights will be on regardless at night as long as you've got your lights on. And, better in the flesh 😉
Thanks for all help and advice 😁👍

Ok, anyone let me know how to post link to vid pleaseta ? 🫣

Tried and failed,- sorry, crap video anyway (+no sex) . Going to wash me car 😡

Last edited:
The forum is masking the link for some reason ... maybe try using text and then making that text a link? (Example below just goes to Google UK, to show what I mean).

Video File

Feeling distinctly better now. Will try video link again later. Many thanks to whoever recommend the Turtlewax ceramic spray - amazing stuff!!
Absolutely guarantee it will rain a lot tomorrow with great vengeance!! 😱

Attachments

• PXL_20240421_161114917.jpg
    PXL_20240421_161114917.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20240421_161401769.jpg
    PXL_20240421_161401769.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Whilst you had the lights out , did you notice how or where the reported moisture has a chance of entering the fixtures , and if there are any ventilation /drain holes.? Cheers.

Whilst you had the lights out , did you notice how or where the reported moisture has a chance of entering the fixtures , and if there are any ventilation /drain holes.? Cheers.
I'm sorry, no I didn't. I have got reversing leds arriving tomorrow so will get the chance to do it all again shortly so will keep an eye out then.
I did notice some condensation in mine though but didn't think much of it as temps are dropping low and plenty warming sun during the day so condensation to be expected ( I thought 🤔 )

I posted the original how to for the led reverse lamps and indicator led swap. The light clusters are cheap crap to be fair and i had rusting on screws behind them when I changed the bulbs . I couldnt see any drain holes but im not suprised they mist up.

Shots of brake light mod and reversing light leds. Only indicators to go now. Can anyone recommend any that are reliable and in stock please ?
PXL_20240422_163533838.jpgPXL_20240422_163629927.jpgPXL_20240422_163636220.jpgPXL_20240422_163541254.jpg

Had a better look this time. Nothing obvious is the best I can do. No obvious drain/ventilation holes.
Pics not a lot of use
PXL_20240422_162537768.jpgPXL_20240422_162512718.jpgPXL_20240422_162518662.jpg

Last edited:
OK, well thanks for that, I'm wondering if those little packets of silica gel might help if there is room for access? Those toe tectors are looking a bit worn, what are you thinking! , there are sharp pointy bits on those light fittings. :cautious: :cautious: :cautious: :cautious:

OK, well thanks for that, I'm wondering if those little packets of silica gel might help if there is room for access? Those toe tectors are looking a bit worn, what are you thinking! , there are sharp pointy bits on those light fittings. :cautious: :cautious: :cautious: :cautious:
Funnily enough when I worked at the local docks and it was a really hot summer my request to wear steel toecap flipflops was declined 🤔

Hi Neilj.
Ordered them and they've arrived.
The packaging has red ticked as the colour. There is no orange option but there is a yellow 🤔. Did you notice / can you remember what colour yours were ticked as please, before I start disassembling again ?

Hi Neilj.
Ordered them and they've arrived.
The packaging has red ticked as the colour. There is no orange option but there is a yellow 🤔. Did you notice / can you remember what colour yours were ticked as please, before I start disassembling again ?
Aaand here's what I ordered. Looks like they've sent the wrong colour. Should be yellow ( which makes more sense )

Attachments

• PXL_20240424_121953097.jpg
    PXL_20240424_121953097.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20240424_121957909.jpg
    PXL_20240424_121957909.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20240424-133229.png
    Screenshot_20240424-133229.png
    572.3 KB · Views: 20
Did you notice / can you remember what colour yours were ticked as please, before I start disassembling again ?
That's super unlucky DaevM!

I will check if I've still got the packaging when I'm next home, but mine are definitely yellow/amber as tested on the car, and as you say, it's clearly labelled that way on the website. I remember the LEDs looking yellow getting them out of the packet too.

In the mean time I did a quick search on Amazon and I couldn't find any red LED 7440 by Maimiao, so it could be a mislabelled packet and someone marked red instead if yellow.

This item (ASIN: B09CTNPLT5) is not compatible but is from the same brand, and that is available in red. Looking at the images of it, the LEDs on that actually look red, so that could be another way of checking what you actually have in the packet if you are happy to open it.

I hope that helps, and I'll let you know if I find the packaging.

That's super unlucky DaevM!

I will check if I've still got the packaging when I'm next home, but mine are definitely yellow/amber as tested on the car, and as you say, it's clearly labelled that way on the website. I remember the LEDs looking yellow getting them out of the packet too.

In the mean time I did a quick search on Amazon and I couldn't find any red LED 7440 by Maimiao, so it could be a mislabelled packet and someone marked red instead if yellow.

This item (ASIN: B09CTNPLT5) is not compatible but is from the same brand, and that is available in red. Looking at the images of it, the LEDs on that actually look red, so that could be another way of checking what you actually have in the packet if you are happy to open it.

I hope that helps, and I'll let you know if I find the packaging.
Thanks for that Neil. Think you're probably right about mis-labelling as they definitely looked yellow.
Unfortunately I was in a rush and went for a return. Had them back in the post 2 hours after receiving them.
I was hoping they'd replace them but the only option was a refund. As I opened the packet ( and stated so on the return request) they may not accept it and return it to me and take payment again. If they're yellow, that's fine so I'll hang on and see.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom