Anyone upgrading from a Nissan LEAF?

Just had a quick search and cant seem to find it now but there was a pic of an options screen with all the default volumes and the top one included the indicator volume

Found it. Thanks
Just had a quick search and cant seem to find it now but there was a pic of an options screen with all the default volumes and the top one included the indicator volume
Found it. They call it “Chime”.

Thanks for help on this one.

Quiet
6399AB11-8748-4B8F-A6C6-056EC3A3E017.jpeg

Loud

E6458411-A770-49B1-B09E-92102C855162.jpeg

I can verify that.

There is an option to turn down the volume of the blinker.

This turns down every sound the car makes, so bongs and beeps will also be quieter.

It was set to 8 and i turned it down to 2, to get it to be "not annoyingly loud".

I've been looking at both the Leaf and ZS EV as a first EV. I really wanted to like the ZS EV because on paper it looks like a much better fit for our family, but on a test drive something felt off about it. I'm going to do a second test drive and see if I can put my finger on what it is.
Here's my comparative notes from an initial test drive:

Leaf 40kWh N-Connecta ProPilot +LED
  • + Feels better to drive (better seating position?)
  • + Hatchback
  • + Clear instruments
  • + full 1-pedal driving
  • + Quieter
  • - CHAdeMO
  • - slightly more expensive
  • - Android auto didn't want to work?
  • - distracting reflection from overly shiny dashboard
  • - obtrusive rear view mirror + sensor housing
  • - couldn't cancel out of the car settings menu?
  • - hate the optional rear view camera

MG ZS EV Standard Range Trophy
  • + Slightly cheaper (-6%)
  • + CCS
  • + Good infotainment
  • + More back seat space
  • + Rear armrest
  • + Sunroof
  • + Charge to 100%
  • + 3rd party frunk available
  • + vehicle to load
  • - SUV
  • - Feels not good to drive (why?)
  • - creeps forward (need to check out auto-hold mode on a second drive)
  • - not quite 1-pedal driving
  • - pointlessly huge bonnet
  • - cramped front cabin
  • - overly aggressive lane assist

Similar
  • = Good boot volume, but awkward shape
  • = Range
  • = Efficiency
  • = Charge speed
  • = Adaptive cruise control
  • = Heavy
  • = 5-star Euro NCAP
  • = Bike rack attachment available
  • = Electric heated seats
  • = Acceptable visibility with driver aids
  • = 360° camera

To be honest, when i was looking, the ChaDeMo alone was enough to dismiss the car.

In Denmark, there seems to be fewer and fewer public ChaDeMo chargers, so right now you need to do a lot more planning, compared to a car with CCS, and this is only going to get worse over time, when the old ChaDeMo / CCS combo chargers are changed for newer chargers that will only have CCS

Even Tesla changed over to CCS in Europe, but Nissan refuses to do so, which makes their cars a lot less attractive in my opinion.

ChaDeMo is the BetaMax of the VCR war, and frankly holding on to this is quite silly of Nissan.

I have a 30kWh 1st leaf (2017) tenka and getting a trophy LR in blue, not to replace the leaf but our other car (diesel). 1st off, instead of part exchange do check autotrader for selling privately and compare prices as you may be surprised. I WOULD REPEAT>>>> MANY TIMES OVER, AND OVER
  • Biggest advantage is space and additional technology, you can set charging times (I set it via charger not car anyway) and also pre heat on frosty mornings as per leaf.
  • Additional range is great plus 5 is liquid cooled (not air as in leaf) so no overheating on long summer journeys (as leaf when chademo fast charging (5 is ccs)).
  • I preferred the drive characteristics to the leaf and had no problems with getting a good driving position (I am 5'11'').
  • I have no problem with a loud indicator click, it reminds you if you have not manually cancelled
  • 7 year warranty is good
  • Car is very perky in sport mode, but shall usually keep in normal.
  • I am fine with KERS 3 in 5 not being a full one pedal (I like to use brake for the last bit if stopping) it is a good increase over B mode
  • Not too bothered about 5 not using regen in cruise control, in practice it rarely comes on for me in leaf on motorways (when i generally use cruise control)
  • Sunroof feels great
  • Android drive is great
Concluding I think you will be very happy, although I would strongly concur that you should test drive, just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 30kw 1st leaf (2017) tenka and getting a trophy LR in blue, not to replace the leaf but our other car (diesel). 1st off, instead of part exchange do check autotrader for selling privately and compare prices as you may be surprised. I WOULD REPEAT>>>> MANY TIMES OVER, AND OVER
  • Biggest advantage is space and additional technology, you can set charging times (I set it via charger not car anyway) and also pre heat on frosty mornings as per leaf.
  • Additional range is great plus 5 is liquid cooled (not air as in leaf) so no overheating on long summer journeys (as leaf when chademo fast charging (5 is ccs)).
  • I preferred the drive characteristics to the leaf and had no problems with getting a good driving position (I am 5'11'').
  • I have no problem with a loud indicator click, it reminds you if you have not manually cancelled
  • 7 year warranty is good
  • Car is very perky in sport mode, but shall usually keep in normal.
  • I am fine with KERS 3 in 5 not being a full one pedal (I like to use brake for the last bit if stopping) it is a good increase over B mode
  • Not too bothered about 5 not using regen in cruise control, in practice it rarely comes on for me in leaf on motorways (when i generally use cruise control)
  • Sunroof feels great
  • Android drive is great
Concluding I think you will be very happy, although I would strongly concur that you should test drive, just in case.
Some good points raised and great comments.

Just a quick note: The long range MG5 does use Regen in MG Pilot mode with Active Cruise Control. The ZS EV does not.

The leaf is an old car with some significant drawbacks.
biggest issue is the lack of thermal management in the batteries. Battery degradation in leafs is still an issue.
chademo has lost out to ccs.
We're on our second leaf and have driven 80K miles in leafs, but both cars had battery degradation. Nissan really failed to build on the advantage they had.

I've been looking at both the Leaf and ZS EV as a first EV. I really wanted to like the ZS EV because on paper it looks like a much better fit for our family, but on a test drive something felt off about it. I'm going to do a second test drive and see if I can put my finger on what it is.
Here's my comparative notes from an initial test drive:

Leaf 40kWh N-Connecta ProPilot +LED
  • + Feels better to drive (better seating position?)
  • + Hatchback
  • + Clear instruments
  • + full 1-pedal driving
  • + Quieter
  • - CHAdeMO
  • - slightly more expensive
  • - Android auto didn't want to work?
  • - distracting reflection from overly shiny dashboard
  • - obtrusive rear view mirror + sensor housing
  • - couldn't cancel out of the car settings menu?
  • - hate the optional rear view camera

MG ZS EV Standard Range Trophy
  • + Slightly cheaper (-6%)
  • + CCS
  • + Good infotainment
  • + More back seat space
  • + Rear armrest
  • + Sunroof
  • + Charge to 100%
  • + 3rd party frunk available
  • + vehicle to load
  • - SUV
  • - Feels not good to drive (why?)
  • - creeps forward (need to check out auto-hold mode on a second drive)
  • - not quite 1-pedal driving
  • - pointlessly huge bonnet
  • - cramped front cabin
  • - overly aggressive lane assist

Similar
  • = Good boot volume, but awkward shape
  • = Range
  • = Efficiency
  • = Charge speed
  • = Adaptive cruise control
  • = Heavy
  • = 5-star Euro NCAP
  • = Bike rack attachment available
  • = Electric heated seats
  • = Acceptable visibility with driver aids
  • = 360° camera
Hi
I had a 40 kW 2018 leaf 2.zero edition, now I have the ZS LR
I think the leaf felt better while driving because of stiffer suspension, and overall a sportier feel, the MG feels more soft and bouncy.

what I miss on the leaf is:
full one-pedal driving
faster reacting infotainment system (ex, when I put it in reverse the cam shows up instantly, on MG takes a bit longer)
better 360 camera quality
the option to set climate control at 2 different times, so the car is heated/colled at 7:30 and 16:00 without using the app
automatic dimming central rearview mirror
front parking sensors
much smoother auto-hold
pro pilot was more smooth and more precise, but it didn't recognize as many road lanes as the MG
speed limits were connected with the navigation, so it shows the speed limit almost everywhere, the MG read-only from the cam, but if you open the nav, then you can see the speed limit
the fact that I can see all my info in the dashboard, including temperature and infotainment, on MG this info are on the big screen
favorite shortcuts for contacts, so I can call them easier

what I don't miss on the leaf:
chademo charger, now is much easier to find CCS chargers
slower fast charging speed (45 kw charging speeds last for only about 5 minutes, then it starts going down rapidly)
the fact that the battery overheats and limits the charging speed when fast charged more than 2 times in less than 24 hours
the buttons for the windows don't have lights on, so for someone who is not familiar with the car is difficult to find them at night
big bump at the foot of middle sit in the back
no armrest in the back

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom