Are electricians ripping us off?

My 7kW charger came free wth my first EV (Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh) with free install via grant. However, I charge mainly on the granny charger and only use the 7kW for urgent charges.
Out of curiosity - why? (The cost per kWh is the same, just that a wall box will deliver it faster and more safely).

I paid £338.33 to have a Hypervolt (which I purchased separately) installed including a new consumer unit in the garage. A new 13 amp socket was also included. It was all done at a few days notice. I don't feel ripped off.

Perhaps I’m being a bit harsh but had several quotes to supply and install the Zappi charger. All around £1200 to £1500. Watched the guy install - took about 3 hours (including him talking to his base). The charger itself, I believe is around £700 so these guys are on at least £100 per hour allowing for VAT. Seems like a good gig if you’re booked in for several of these in the week. Maybe I’m just out of touch with what electricians charge these days.
The first thing I'd say is that indeed, if we buy one of these 'bundles' say from the car dealer (unit + install) then of course we'll get wacked. Exacty as per the protection kits sold at the sale point - so much can be saved by going to a thrid party post purchase, and often much mich higher quality /warranty than those pre-sold by the car sales people.

In any case, I just shopped around a few years ago when we decided on our Wallbox Pulsar Plus - that was the best price we could get on any 7kw charger at the time, then was shipped to us. Second, we then asked our regular home sparkie to do the install & that was painless and far less expensive than all the other BS. That would be the first place to start IMO, the install is not complicated, in our case, added a 32A RCD, dedicated cable run & wall mount. No probs.

A little more complex with a solar array and/or 3 phase, but again, I'd start with the locals who did the solar install in the first place.

Solar excess. :)
As for safety, the large box with lights on between the plugs takes care of the safety.
Same with us. Like all new EV owners, we worried about range, charging etc. But then we realised that the car charges up quite nicely at 2kW via a (slightly reinforced) outdoor domestic socket, and that this level of recharging also means we can use our PV panels exclusively for recharging – no need to access the grid at all. A 7kW charger would suck much more power than our panels can supply (except occasionally). I'm regularly surprised at how little time is actually required to charge the car from a domestic socket, but for the amount we use it (taking it out for short to medium drives every 2-3 days), this approach works really well.

I went for the Zappi charger because it has an eco feature that allows it to divert surplus solar generation to the car rather than the grid. It adjusts if the house is consuming and has a great app for data logging and live viewing if you are a numbers nerd.

I went for the Zappi charger because it has an eco feature that allows it to divert surplus solar generation to the car rather than the grid. It adjusts if the house is consuming and has a great app for data logging and live viewing if you are a numbers nerd.
Does the Zappi just stop charging if the solar input is less than 1.4Kw? I too currently just use the granny, I'm happy to continue charging even if clouds reduce the solar to 1 Kw momentarily and accept that I'll pay something. So far I've spent less than £50 extra at home for 1800+ miles.

It’s surplus energy that’s the key. Yes it stops charging when a threshold you can set is not met. It has a slider from 1 to 100% - each percentage point is 14w so if set to 100% then it needs 1.4KW of surplus to start charging. It stops charging if the surplus drops below this. This is the eco+ mode, it has other modes which can top up from the grid.

I’m lucky that I’m in year 12 of my solar array so I get currently get paid 68p per kWh and I get paid this for generation whether I use the electricity or not. I get paid to fill my tank with electrons so it’s a win win. Wish I could have afforded an EV sooner.

Was 68p/kWh the maximum anyone got as a fit payment and is that what they refer to as deemed?
How many panels and what ouput have you got ?

As I said, shortage of tradesmen means being able to ask whatever you like.
I know a few self employed tradesmen and their view is when it's busy prices go up, basic economics of supply and demand, labour is a commodity like anything else ( accepting all previously mentioned overheads and training - I am also electrician, tho not self employed and no longer contracting)
Also unfortunately I know some that when very busy and too much on, rather than refuse it they'll just pick a figure and double it - and if still getting the jobs, triple it, and if those prices get accepted, original planned jobs may get 'pushed back'
They'll justify this by saying things could be quiet in a year/two, "make hay while the sun shines"
I'm not saying I agree with this - but I know it happens.
To be fair I know a few that emigrated during last recession to get work, tho most returned.

Depending on job needed and urgency, sometimes postponing is good option - like extensions, new kitchens, etc

Was 68p/kWh the maximum anyone got as a fit payment and is that what they refer to as deemed?
How many panels and what ouput have you got ?
Domestic installations, typically 4kw (16 panels), the rate payable depends on when they were installed. Our 2015 installed PV has a generation payment rate of 18p per kWh generation and deemed (50% of generated amount) of 6.7p per kWh. Our recent 1600 Kwh Fit payment was £340 made up of £290 generation plus £55 deemed. Older installations attract much higher rates to reflect the much higher cost of installation.

Perhaps I’m being a bit harsh but had several quotes to supply and install the Zappi charger. All around £1200 to £1500. Watched the guy install - took about 3 hours (including him talking to his base). The charger itself, I believe is around £700 so these guys are on at least £100 per hour allowing for VAT. Seems like a good gig if you’re booked in for several of these in the week. Maybe I’m just out of touch with what electricians charge these days.
Mine cost £1200 and that's in Derbyshire, but had a word with him cost was putting in 20m 6 mm TWE which was not to ekect regs as the zappi takes 7.5kw . Got him to put in 6mm armoured cable which is rated higher. It need to be armoured cable cos of length, load, and being installed outside.

CSA is determined by cable length, load and external de-rating factors.
Use of SWA is determined purely by the need for mechanical protection.

I have an old dumb ChargeMaster unit that came with my Zoe 5 years ago. The Zoe has gone, but the ChargeMaster still works fine with my MG.
I’m getting solar later in the year, and considering upgrading to a Zappi, but wonder what the cost will be for a straight swap? I don’t think paying £1200 to replace the unit is going to be an option for me.

I have an old dumb ChargeMaster unit that came with my Zoe 5 years ago. The Zoe has gone, but the ChargeMaster still works fine with my MG.
I’m getting solar later in the year, and considering upgrading to a Zappi, but wonder what the cost will be for a straight swap? I don’t think paying £1200 to replace the unit is going to be an option for me.
I had the same dilemma so I bought a variable current granny charger and set it to syphon off the excess. A lot cheaper than a Zappi or the like. :)

I had the same dilemma so I bought a variable current granny charger and set it to syphon off the excess. A lot cheaper than a Zappi or the like. :)

Yes, I saw your post about that, a nice solution! The MG granny charger that came with my car seems to supply about 1.8-9 kW, and I have considered having a robust 13 amp outdoor socket installed under my carport next to my 7kW charge point and using it when the sun shines and I am at home.

I need to see how my PV and battery setup perform once installed, then work out the best options.

Having said all that, whats the betting that my ChargeMaster fails just before everything is installed! It then becomes a choice of a Zappi (if working with Octopus IO) or an Ohme.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom